mtbr member

Trail building conference in ABQ

A few of us from SFFTS are either doing the conference or one of the workshops. I'm doing the stonework workshop. Anyone else going?
    Sustainable Trails Conference - PTBA
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    $300 for the workshop? Cheap Bastard says working for skerry or sattler is a better deal with plenty of hands-on experience...

mtbr member
    Ryan and I will be there. We're teaching the pre-conference chainsaw course. It's pretty cool that we had the IMBA summit in SF and now the Professional Trailbuilders Conf in Albuquerque. I know several of the organizers and conference presenters and it will be a good time.

Cabra Cadabra, you won't be disappointed with the stonework course. Eddie Walsh and Peter Jensen are some of the best, most skilled folks in the country with stone. Back in my days out east I worked with Eddie on a project 30 min of New York City. We were splitting Volkswagen size boulders into slabs of granite and putting them on high lines to build some massive staircases and crib walls. It was a blast. Here's a link to Eddie's company.

See you there!

mtbr member
    I'm even more stoked now skerry, thanks. The club is paying, so the money isn't a big deal and I knew I'd be working with exceptional instructors. I'll only be going to the stone workshop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'll be at the conference Wed/Thurs. Miles and Jennifer from the Espanola FS office will be there as well. I'll look you up.

mtbr member
    Cool that you're doing this, Chris. Can't wait to see how your new knowledge comes into play. I swear, with all the education/experience you've been acquiring, Santa Fe area trails stand to benefit tremendously!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    Cool that you're doing this, Chris. Can't wait to see how your new knowledge comes into play. I swear, with all the education/experience you've been acquiring, Santa Fe area trails stand to benefit tremendously!
    Thanks Teej. Well I just hope we can keep things in good shape (keep the water flowing across the trail instead down basically) but also keep and expand any chunk we have and avoid sanitizing. Thanks to the Bandos I am hooked on technical riding and getting better at it (slowly) while I still can get around. The one thing SF and the SFFTS can use IMO is more guys that join me on trail workdays that understand the need to keep berms where they make sense and that leave the rocks and look for slight tweaks to open up tech options. I'm often the lone voice. I think trails are the best if they have at least one thing you can't clean. Let me know if you (anyone) want to pitch in.

We do have drainage/stream crossings and the fire-damaged areas that will need paving and I'm sure that we'll have switchbacks to work on for La Piedra. I don't recall if the grant got approved for the SFCT, but their best plan for those is to use the surrounding material and wire baskets for gabions to make rideable switchbacks.

mtbr member
    you also get to play with cool toys at the conference!

Trail building conference in ABQ-ryanvermeer2.jpg
    Trail building conference in ABQ-bikeramp2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail building conference in ABQ-tylersutter2.jpg  

mtbr member
    cool Kerry. looking forward to the next two days working with rock. are you doing that workshop?