Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Formerly Carlos9

Time to ride in ABQ

Work will take me to ABQ later this week and I'd love to get a couple of hr ride in on Thursday afternoon or [and!] Friday morning. Could anyone suggest a couple of trails worth hitting if time allows. All kinds of riding is acceptable but maybe something that has little bit of everything, if such a thing exists. Thanks in advance.
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'd suggest the Tunnel/Otero area, its about 15 minutes east of town. south of Tijeras. Trail map can be found here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3792172.pdf

Also, check out White Mesa 30 minutes north west of town. (officially called White Ridge) White Ridge Bike Trails
    Or the ABQ foothills trails, if you dont want to leave town. http://www.cabq.gov/parksandrecreati...othillsmap.pdf
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." 2drsrbtrrthn4

Formerly Carlos9
    Thanks mate! Any more anybody?

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Boy View Post
    Thanks mate! Any more anybody?
    Hard to beat those two. Two totaly different type of trails. Otero is in the mtns with plenty of chunk and xc type stuff.Be sure to check out the new Three Bottles Advanced trail in the Otero area. White Mesa is desert riding with awesome views and loads of fun.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Another option is the Placitas trail set less than 20 mile N of ABQ off I25. Miles of cross country single track. Exit 242 go east toward placitas on hwy 165 about 4 mi. Look for FS TH on right. Trail map at placitasareatrail.org
    proper single track is the best thing man puts on the earth

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    I'd suggest the Tunnel/Otero area, its about 15 minutes east of town. south of Tijeras. Trail map can be found here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3792172.pdf

Also, check out White Mesa 30 minutes north west of town. (officially called White Ridge) White Ridge Bike Trails
    Or the ABQ foothills trails, if you dont want to leave town. http://www.cabq.gov/parksandrecreati...othillsmap.pdf
    Could you suggest a route that might take a couple of hrs at the Tunnel/Otero system. I don't mind some tech but not looking to kill myself whilst on a business trip!

Also, White Mesa looks relatively short... is it a place to do a few loops or am I missing something?

Thanks again for the help.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    A good loop in that time frame would be to go up Tunnel trail to Otero Canyon and turn right up Otero for about two miles or so and turn right on Tio Juanito and climb up to the West Ridge trail and turn right for about two miles and turn left on Bird House Trail and blast back down to the PL. Moderate chunk and guaranteed to please. White Mesa is about 8 miles around and takes longer than you think. If that's not enough, loop it again. You won't get tired of it. Bring your camera there. awesome views.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You can also do the outside loop of WM, go north down the center spine and back up the Dragons Back to the parking lot.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." 2drsrbtrrthn4

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    You can also do the outside loop of WM, go north down the center spine and back up the Dragons Back to the parking lot.
    Thanks mate, I might check White Mesa out on my way out of town on Friday! Shame to miss out while I'm there

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    A good loop in that time frame would be to go up Tunnel trail to Otero Canyon and turn right up Otero for about two miles or so and turn right on Tio Juanito and climb up to the West Ridge trail and turn right for about two miles and turn left on Bird House Trail and blast back down to the PL. Moderate chunk and guaranteed to please. White Mesa is about 8 miles around and takes longer than you think. If that's not enough, loop it again. You won't get tired of it. Bring your camera there. awesome views.
    Thanks, I appreciate the help. Using this map http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3792172.pdf park at the Tunnel Canyon TH, south/east on Tunnel Canyon, south on Otero Canyon, west/north on Westridge, west/north on Birdhouse bak to TH?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks, I appreciate the help. Using this map http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3792172.pdf park at the Tunnel Canyon TH, south/east on Tunnel Canyon, south on Otero Canyon, west/north on Westridge, west/north on Birdhouse bak to TH?
    You got it. What mtbike52 referred to as "Tio Juanito" is shown as part of West Ridge on your map. Tio Juanito is the steep climb you'll encounter up to West Ridge "proper". There's a sign hanging over the trail when you turn off of Otero.

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    You got it. What mtbike52 referred to as "Tio Juanito" is shown as part of West Ridge on your map. Tio Juanito is the steep climb you'll encounter up to West Ridge "proper". There's a sign hanging over the trail when you turn off of Otero.
    Thanks, I'm really hoping I get time to ride...

Formerly Carlos9
    Weather's looking a little sketchy... Any local knowledge? Will all this blow over?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Weather's looking a little sketchy... Any local knowledge? Will all this blow over?

It's around 50deg up here near Otero and no moisture. Should be good.

Formerly Carlos9

Re: Time to ride in ABQ

It's around 50deg up here near Otero and no moisture. Should be good.
    Damn! I'm down in Corrales by the river and just received a weather advisory for heavy rain, hail and 50 mph winds! Thanks for the optimism! Fingers crossed...

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Damn! I'm down in Corrales by the river and just received a weather advisory for heavy rain, hail and 50 mph winds! Thanks for the optimism! Fingers crossed...

Wow, quick change here. Rain and sleet has moved in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just got back from Abq, got a chance to ride Sandia foothills and had a blast. A little bit of everything, from fast and flowy to rocky and technical. Good luck, hope you get a ride in!

mtbr member
    Wow, quick change here. Rain and sleet has moved in.
    excellent!
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

Formerly Carlos9
    Assuming all this blows over, if I got to the TH by 5 or 530, do I have any chance of completing the trail as described before dark? If not, I'm going to drink beer...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Assuming all this blows over, if I got to the TH by 5 or 530, do I have any chance of completing the trail as described before dark? If not, I'm going to drink beer...

Yeah, I think so. The outer loop is about 9 miles, can definitely be done in 2 hours.

Formerly Carlos9

Quote Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
    Yeah, I think so. The outer loop is about 9 miles, can definitely be done in 2 hours.
    Are you meaning White Mesa? I was thinking the other one near Tijeras.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Are you meaning White Mesa? I was thinking the other one near Tijeras.

NM, thought you were responding to me. Sandia foothills is the only one I've ridden:
    Foothills Trails

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Sun is back out up here. You can shorten the Tunnel,Otero loop pretty easy. Head out Tunnel for a couple of miles until you come to the west ridge trail at the top of Tunnel. Turn right and climb up West Ridge about 1/2 mile and you will see bird house trail on the right at the top of the hill. Then bomb back to the PL

Formerly Carlos9

Sun is back out up here. You can shorten the Tunnel,Otero loop pretty easy. Head out Tunnel for a couple of miles until you come to the west ridge trail at the top of Tunnel. Turn right and climb up West Ridge about 1/2 mile and you will see bird house trail on the right at the top of the hill. Then bomb back to the PL
    Sweet! Roughly how long, time wise?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Tijeras (Tunnel, Otero, West Ridge, Birdhouse) loop should be less than 2 hours, so if you're riding by 530pm you'll make it. But if you're slower, or anything goes wrong, you could be cutting it close.

The good thing about that loop is there is a bailout point. If you get over to Otero, and it's looking iffy, you can go left (North, downhill) on Otero and hit the road. Go left on the road (West, downhill), and you'll be back at the Tunnel trailhead where you parked in 5 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast