mtbr member

Time for new Tires what is everyone Running?

It is time again for new tires I live in Las Cruces ,NM and I am looking for some new tires. I am currently running Panaracer Cedric Gracia XC's and have had pretty good luck. I want a tire that is good in the sand, rocks, and fast rolling. I mainly stick to cross country and my bike is a Santa Cruz Superlight. I HAVE STILL NOT MADE THE JUMP TO TUBELESS.
    Tires I have used in the past:

Panaracer fire pros, Irc mathos II's, and Panaracer Cedric Gracia XC's.

Big John
    WTB Velociraptors are awesome and cheap at ~25 bucks. There is a front and rear specific tire, and they've been great for me. Not the lightest, but I've been running them for 9 years with nothing but good results for what we have around these parts - I'm in Las Cruces, too. Be wary of Continental Vapors or Explorers, they are wimpy wimpy wimpy. I gave them two shots, and the Dona Anas killed them both times. You can try a Nevegal, but they are a little pricey, and I think the tubeless version sucks bigtime - lasted 12 whole rides before it crapped out and warped horribly.

That said, with tires, I've found it best to stick with what you know works. Sometimes, like with the Nevegal for me, you only end up disappointed.
    Road, mountain, commute, CX... who cares? Shut up and ride!

RCC
    Bandolero
    Maxxis Minions DHF UST 2.5 front and back,not exactly a light tire at around 1250 grams per tire but they are nearly bomb proof,been running them for about 3 years now.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

Is the bike OK?
    I actually love and have had really good luck with Nevagal DTC UTC 2.35's. I've tried other tires but for the rocky terrain around Los Alamos the Nevagal's sidewalls hold up very well and the knob pattern holds better than any other combination I've tried. They don't roll as well as some tires but aren't too bad. The rear wears relatively fast on rocky terrain. I use the UTC tire because I ride tubeless and the UTC version of the tire has thicker and heavier sidewalls. If you aren't ready to go tubeless their non-UTC versions are lighter but at the expense of thinner sidewalls.

I've never had warping issue with the 2.35's but I mounted a 2.1 on the back once and couldn't get the tire very straight. I know other people who use the 2.1's without issue and they are lighter than the 2.35's.

Nevagals are usually on sale somewhere for around 30 bucks.

I recently picked up some WTB Prowler MX Team and DH tires for next to nothing on Chainlove. I haven't mounted them yet but they look like a fairly descent tread design that is also fast rolling. I plan to only use these on the front. Nashbar has them on sale really cheap too. Have no idea how they'll work but for the price there wasn't much to loose. They look like they'll seal up tubeless better than a lot of other non-UTC tires.

mtbr member
    I run the 2.35 Nevagals front and back on my Nomad and the Nevagal 2.2's on my 29er.
    They work and I don't mind pushing the extra wait but I think I'm going to give the Minions a try next. Hell, if RCC has been running them for three years, that's a pretty damn good endorsement.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by rpinata
    I run the 2.35 Nevagals front and back on my Nomad and the Nevagal 2.2's on my 29er.
    They work and I don't mind pushing the extra wait but I think I'm going to give the Minions a try next. Hell, if RCC has been running them for three years, that's a pretty damn good endorsement.
    Minions are HEEAAAVVVVVYYYY. I like them for DH but Nevagals are my best compromise for a DH feel without all that weight. Minions are hard to get a good price on too.

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    Jump to tubeless it will only cost you 5 bucks
    gorilla tape the rims (4.95)
    Cut valves out of tubes (free)
    stans sealant or make your own latex blend (you should already have)

I run geax TNT (tubes no tubes) aka 2.0 on the rear and saguario TNT 2.1 on the front.
    I just made the switch to geax tnt tires and tubeless and i am never looking back. These tires just don't break loose. The tnt tires are 100 grams lighter than ust tires. It even says on the geax site that tnt+stans=ust.
    here is the video on how to do the conversion! Dont waste you $$$ on the stans kit, it costs way to much and weighs way to much. This way eliminates you from running a dummy tube in the tire. And the valve you will cut will be way better than the ripoff valves stans sells.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UeO8Utfny0

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've been loving the new Maxxis EXO (single ply) DHF's. Tried the 2.5's in Moab last year and its overkill for lots of trails and maybe not the very fastest rolling tire out there, but the grip and durability on a wide range of conditions is hard to beat. 800 grams approx, so not to bad weight wise.

Also liked the SX version for Specialized's Clutch 2.3's. The SX sidewall is a 1.5 ply and is a little on the beefy side for all mountain and I haven't been able to try their 2Bliss 2.2's yet, but I have high hopes!

-CRAZY-
    Stan's Raven 2.2 front & a Stan's Crow rear.

They're like wearing moccasins.
    'I am on a drug, it's called Charlie Sheen'
    Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84
    Jump to tubeless it will only cost you 5 bucks
    gorilla tape the rims (4.95)
    Cut valves out of tubes (free)
    stans sealant or make your own latex blend (you should already have)

I run geax TNT (tubes no tubes) aka 2.0 on the rear and saguario TNT 2.1 on the front.
    I just made the switch to geax tnt tires and tubeless and i am never looking back. These tires just don't break loose. The tnt tires are 100 grams lighter than ust tires. It even says on the geax site that tnt+stans=ust.
    here is the video on how to do the conversion! Dont waste you $$$ on the stans kit, it costs way to much and weighs way to much. This way eliminates you from running a dummy tube in the tire. And the valve you will cut will be way better than the ripoff valves stans sells.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UeO8Utfny0
    +1 on the Saguaros. Great tire!

I had bad luck with Specialized Captains...

BOOST THAT SH*T!
    +1 Specy Clutch
    "A splendid time was had by all and all were had." ~ Wire Train

Stucco Bucket
    Nobby Nics on my Mojo
    Fat Alberts on my firebird
    Minions on the Yeti
    race kings on the homegrowns

all tubeless. I had Nevegal 2.35" on my Pivot firebird on a sedona trip. Shredded the tires and flatted 4 times in one day.

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Nobby Nics on my Mojo
    Fat Alberts on my firebird
    Minions on the Yeti
    race kings on the homegrowns

all tubeless. I had Nevegal 2.35" on my Pivot firebird on a sedona trip. Shredded the tires and flatted 4 times in one day.
    That just what you had the first day. I hope you threw the nevegals away

Genius
    Kenda Excavator DTC 2.2 front/2.5rear. There is a stick-e version but they wear a lot quicker. All the stick-e's do. They are kinda heavy but damn they grip and are tough. I have never seen them on the shelf. I always have to order them from the LBS or online. They are not tubeless ready but I have been running them tubeless with no issues for the last 2-3 years. I have had 2-3 pairs of these.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

The Weatherman
    I live just to east in Alamogordo and have had good luck with WTB Velociraptors in your backyard (Dona Ana trails) and up in Cloudcroft. They seem to do pretty well in rocky conditions and are reasonably fast-rolling. Decent grip on dry sandy corners too.