Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Thurs, July 3rd ride: Medio dia, East fork, REM, SBT, eh Faulty-10K...I don't care

I'm off on Thursday and was looking for a ride. Anyone else off and want to do a nice 20-30 miles?

First idea was Medio Dia. I haven't done that this season. Start at Dixon's and do the loop. I could be convinced to do REM, East Fork, SBT, etc. I'm also thinking of moving to Sandia labs so I wouldn' mind hitting something like Faulty/10k, etc.

Any suggestions out there?
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

I <3 NM
    i may be IN...

traveling to NM tomorrow from Louisiana for a couple wks in Alb...

Will prolly bring my Racer X and my singlespeed.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Bandolero

This Just in...

Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    I'm off on Thursday and was looking for a ride. Anyone else off and want to do a nice 20-30 miles?

First idea was Medio Dia. I haven't done that this season. Start at Dixon's and do the loop. I could be convinced to do REM, East Fork, SBT, etc. I'm also thinking of moving to Sandia labs so I wouldn' mind hitting something like Faulty/10k, etc.

Any suggestions out there?
    You'll want to go north, as Faulty/10K will be closed come Monday.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Why do you have to be the bearer of bad news.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    So we riding east mtns today?

I <3 NM
    i hit The Foothills this morning on my ss trying to get used to the elevation... fun coming here from 135' above sea level... hahaa...

*gasp*

mtbr member
    So...anyone else in for this? So far it seems to be me, Bryan, and maybe Nate. With East mtns closed, looks like a Cochiti ride. Tentatively Medio Dia.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    So...anyone else in for this? So far it seems to be me, Bryan, and maybe Nate. With East mtns closed, looks like a Cochiti ride. Tentatively Medio Dia.

I think knob is in.

banned

Plan...

Meet at Dixon's at 9am. Gotta get my beauty sleep ya know

Route:

Up MD to unknown ST going towards Bland ( never been ). Explore from there. I would like to include Killer SB's if possible and maybe we can somehow loop it if I can navigate the roads on the south side. Either way should be an epic. I will call Maka sometime today to get some direction.

I <3 NM
    I have no idea where any of these places are.. i know where Taos is and I know where Angle Fire is but that is about it.

I can drive if someone wants to car pool from the LL/Alb area.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    I have no idea where any of these places are.. i know where Taos is and I know where Angle Fire is but that is about it.

I can drive if someone wants to car pool from the LL/Alb area.
    Cochiti is up I-25 roughly half way to Santa Fe, west of the highway, and just west of the Rio Grande.

HERE
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Cochiti is up I-25 roughly half way to Santa Fe, west of the highway, and just west of the Rio Grande.

HERE

gottcha! Is this the place for Thurs?

Mythical Creature
    gottcha! Is this the place for Thurs?
    Not for me - but indeed, sounds like the fellas are rallying. The trails and Dixons are in Cochiti.

Bryan - early is good. Monsson Season has just started, so by 1PM the clouds are looking pretty big lately! Be careful, and be ready to beat a hasty retreat if needed!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

banned

Been there, done that...

Thanks for the heads up Glenn. That is something I had not thought of and Cochiti is prone to some pretty strange weather. We will keep our eyes peeled for a potential weather situation.

Nate-- knob and I will carpool with you. Meet at Bernalillo Park & Ride at 8:15am?

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Thanks for the heads up Glenn. That is something I had not thought of and Cochiti is prone to some pretty strange weather. We will keep our eyes peeled for a potential weather situation.

Nate-- knob and I will carpool with you. Meet at Bernalillo Park & Ride at 8:15am?

i have a rack for 2 bikes on my reciever hitch, we can probably put the smaller inside my FJ with one of the rear seats folded down... unless someone has a Thule T2 extension then i can haul all of them on the back.

Pretty sure we can fit a bike inside tho..

i have an all back fj cruiser with a Titus Rx on the back.

the park & ride is there right off i25 where one would exit to go to White Mesa right?

banned

the park & ride is there right off i25 where one would exit to go to White Mesa right?

Correct.

...and Bruce is used to being stuffed in the back.

I <3 NM
    Correct.

...and Bruce is used to being stuffed in the back.
    Ouch!!

LOL!

By the way, i hope this route is mostly xc cuz i have none of the dh/huckster skills that you and your bro's have.. but i will take pix!

banned
    Ouch!!

LOL!

By the way, i hope this route is mostly xc cuz i have none of the dh/huckster skills that you and your bro's have.. but i will take pix!

All good!

banned

Map...

Here is a map of the area (sorry no topo), but it gives you an idea. I am not so good at paint and since some of the trail is not shown on the map I guessed at some of the intersections.

Edit: Anyone notice how close you are to Los Conchas TH from the upper part of Medio Dia Canyon?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I <3 NM
    wow! looks great!

what kinda distance are you guessing that is?

I am gonna have to bust out the big camelpak!

mtbr member
    Does anyone have GPS points for Dixon's orchard? I always start at the top so I've never been all the way down to Dixon's.

Second question...I've heard the road down to Cochiti gets dicey. Can I get my Subaru outback through there or should I drive around?

mtbr member
    Edit: Anyone notice how close you are to Los Conchas TH from the upper part of Medio Dia Canyon?
    There's a trail that starts just west of the FR 268/36 intersection. I think it's called dragon's spine. If you're driving west on 36, you intersect 268 at a cattle guard. If you look right there, you can see a single track heading up to the ridge. This singletrack parallels NM4 for a few miles to the very tip top upper part of Medio Dia. I drop into Medio Dia at that point, but the single track continues. I've heard that it goes up to Peralta and/or Paliza canyons. From there, there's a single track that drops down and intersects NM 4 a short distance away from from Los Conchas...no more than a mile away. Never really thought about it, but you could make a huge epic ride hooking East Fork to Medio Dia only hitting a short section of NM 4.

banned
    Von, you are probably going to have to access Dixon from i25. I don't see you negotiating 289 in the Subu.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    There's a trail that starts just west of the FR 268/36 intersection. I think it's called dragon's spine. If you're driving west on 36, you intersect 268 at a cattle guard. If you look right there, you can see a single track heading up to the ridge. This singletrack parallels NM4 for a few miles to the very tip top upper part of Medio Dia. I drop into Medio Dia at that point, but the single track continues. I've heard that it goes up to Peralta and/or Paliza canyons. From there, there's a single track that drops down and intersects NM 4 a short distance away from from Los Conchas...no more than a mile away. Never really thought about it, but you could make a huge epic ride hooking East Fork to Medio Dia only hitting a short section of NM 4.
    Yeeah! Possibly would require some overnight provisions....oh, that sounds so cool!

banned
    wow! looks great!

what kinda distance are you guessing that is?

I am gonna have to bust out the big camelpak!
    It's not called "over 40" for nothin'. But the most direct route (shown) is probbably just under 30mi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast