Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Bandolero Crew N.M.

Three Bottles technical trail build

The Three Bottles technical trail build is a GO! Pretty much the last of the red tape has been cleared and signed off on. Kerry informed us today. We had hoped to get started last year. But with the Forest clousure and the issues in Washington, that got pushed back. For you tech lovers, this is a great chance to get in on building some fun advanced features. For the XC guys. All features will have a bypass. Kerry will be working on the dates and post before long. Hope to see you out there. I am personally pumped about this project. Good technical trails are a rare thing for the forest service. Hopefully this will lead to more in the future.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Its gonna be good! tons of potential and were gonna use all of it.

mtbr member
    That's awesome news. As far as I know, this is the first step that land managers have made to bring specific technical riding planning to Albuquerque area trails. It's great to see land managers working to accomodate modern user requirements/desires. It's also great to see my good friends working directly with this process. Kudos to all of you guys, your efforts and your vision.
    I can't wait to see the finished product. I hope to be able to help on a workday, even if it is a bit far from Santa Fe. I love riding that area.

Heckler db
    May 2008
    Whoop!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    That's awesome news. As far as I know, this is the first step that land managers have made to bring specific technical riding planning to Albuquerque area trails. It's great to see land managers working to accomodate modern user requirements/desires. It's also great to see my good friends working directly with this process. Kudos to all of you guys, your efforts and your vision.
    I can't wait to see the finished product. I hope to be able to help on a workday, even if it is a bit far from Santa Fe. I love riding that area.
    ^^^ this!

Plus we don't have to hear the griping that there is no B line alternative.

banned
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the update, Stevie. Looking forward to see what we can come up with out there. We've had a year to think about it. Closures are looming, so the sooner the better. How are the inroads up there? It's still a little sloppy down low and along the West Ridge. The snow is melting fast.

Stucco Bucket
    Its great to see everyone who stepped up (and showed up) to make this happen. Big thanks to you Steve, for making being our conduit, and sticking to it

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    Its great to see everyone who stepped up (and showed up) to make this happen. Big thanks to you Steve, for making being our conduit, and sticking to it
    The real thanks has to go to Kerry. Without him backing us on this project and getting through the red tape. And plenty of it. There would be no Three Bottles Technical Trail. There's still a bit of winter to get through, but spring is near. Conditions at 3-B are still a little tough to get started yet. We will get started as soon as conditions allow.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    It's great to see land managers working to accomodate modern user requirements/desires. It's also great to see my good friends working directly with this process. Kudos to all of you guys, your efforts and your vision.
    Agreed... good to see the Bando's stepping up!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Riding out my door in Santa Fe most of the time means I have not ridden much in ABQ. I am interested in possibly helping nevertheless. Where exactly in the ABQ area will 3 Bottles be located?

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Riding out my door in Santa Fe most of the time means I have not ridden much in ABQ. I am interested in possibly helping nevertheless. Where exactly in the ABQ area will 3 Bottles be located?
    Three Bottles is in the East Mtns. In the Otero area. Between Otero Canyon and David Canyon. Lots of great trails in that area. We would love to have you help out. Anyone is welcome. The more help the better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    <---- standing by, shovel in hand
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." 2drsrbtrrthn4

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    <---- standing by, shovel in hand
    Awesome! Another thing that has not been mentioned much is that there will also be a phase 2 of the build. This will extend Three Bottles at the north end on down to tie in with Blue Ribbon trail. This will bypass the double track. This section looses all the chunk and will have more flow and some table tops and such. Fast and fun! This will hopefully happen next year.

banned
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    Awesome! Another thing that has not been mentioned much is that there will also be a phase 2 of the build. This will extend Three Bottles at the north end on down to tie in with Blue Ribbon trail. This will bypass the double track. This section looses all the chunk and will have more flow and some table tops and such. Fast and fun! This will hopefully happen next year.
    There are potentially some really good sections in there. I would be interested to see the projected route. Matter of fact, there's probably more potential there than 3B's proper, due to the slope.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm in! Just tell me what to do!

but i want to ride now
    Just curious mtbike52, why is the build being split into two phases, particularly given it looks like there'll be plenty of helping hands. Is there a policy reason I'm not aware of?
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aldousfilcher View Post
    Just curious mtbike52, why is the build being split into two phases, particularly given it looks like there'll be plenty of helping hands. Is there a policy reason I'm not aware of?

Other people could be more specific. but basically the entire trail has to be mapped and planed. before that can happen the area and trail has to be approved. after the trail is mapped and allowed to exist then the biologist geologist and archeologists all have to sign off on the area. There's a lot of moving pieces with a bunch of different people. Attempting to do the entire trail at once would have doubled the work load for everyone involved at every step. doing half at a time is more realistic... i think the rule fore counting volunteers is dividing the number of people who promised they would come by 3( guilty myself)

So its just about being realistic.

personally i don't mind the time it takes as long as the gears are moving.. the trail existing at all is a big deal Its going to be alot of fun.. i think a lot of people in town are more interested in technical riding then before, and are eager to get the trail started.

banned
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Other people could be more specific. but basically the entire trail has to be mapped and planed. before that can happen the area and trail has to be approved. after the trail is mapped and allowed to exist then the biologist geologist and archeologists all have to sign off on the area. There's a lot of moving pieces with a bunch of different people. Attempting to do the entire trail at once would have doubled the work load for everyone involved at every step. doing half at a time is more realistic... i think the rule fore counting volunteers is dividing the number of people who promised they would come by 3( guilty myself)

So its just about being realistic.

personally i don't mind the time it takes as long as the gears are moving.. the trail existing at all is a big deal Its going to be alot of fun.. i think a lot of people in town are more interested in technical riding then before, and are eager to get the trail started.
    ^this. And, I'll add that this is likely to be a very busy fire season for Kerry. Although, the confidence we build with the power that be might provide an opportunity to schedule some pre-approved work without supervision. However, if we don't get something soon in the way of moisture, there will only be a small window of opportunity due to closure.

Let the rain dancing commence!

banned
    Jan 2014
    Also, it wouldn't hurt to pick Kerry's brain on the extension so we can get in there and scout that area for possible features.

Stucco Bucket
    took an act of congress and the blessings of archi-pueblo types just to get this far. Kerry stayed on it. Kerry had a few guidelines for trail building, after that he let who showed up, pick the line. No whining about how techie it is if you didnt show up (ahem...)

banned
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    took an act of congress and the blessings of archi-pueblo types just to get this far. Kerry stayed on it. Kerry had a few guidelines for trail building, after that he let who showed up, pick the line. No whining about how techie it is if you didnt show up (ahem...)
    It's not super technical in it's totality. There are some technical features intermittent on an otherwise "slow" track. More of an accent to 3'Bs proper, IMO.

Like I said, I think the extension has real potential for a true "expert" line. Delnorte probably remembers HAB'ing it with me a few years back in the opposite direction.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwothree View Post
    ^this. And, I'll add that this is likely to be a very busy fire season for Kerry. Although, the confidence we build with the power that be might provide an opportunity to schedule some pre-approved work without supervision. However, if we don't get something soon in the way of moisture, there will only be a small window of opportunity due to closure.

Let the rain dancing commence!
    And I might add that both are pretty big builds on their own. There are also project leftover from last year that Kerry prob wants to complete. We can't hog all the build time this year. Plus Rory is working on something that could make a big difference in the phase twe build. Chance for forest closure is a big reason to start early, get phase 1 done and hit that $h1t before closure.

banned
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    And I might add that both are pretty big builds on their own. There are also project leftover from last year that Kerry prob wants to complete. We can't hog all the build time this year. Plus Rory is working on something that could make a big difference in the phase twe build. Chance for forest closure is a big reason to start early, get phase 1 done and hit that $h1t before closure.
    Nice!

I'm gonna head over to BLM today and talk about adding some trails on the West side of Red Mesa as an alternative to the East side. It's getting quite popular, and I'd hate to see any animosity develop with the trials peeps. Plus, it's a clean slate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sounds good. I hung out with a bunch of NMTA members the other week and did not get any sense that MTB'ers concern them. Lots of acreage out there. But more trails would be good. Will definitely be interested in hearing how the discussion goes.

banned
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1990 View Post
    Sounds good. I hung out with a bunch of NMTA members the other week and did not get any sense that MTB'ers concern them. Lots of acreage out there. But more trails would be good. Will definitely be interested in hearing how the discussion goes.
    I'm not saying that there is any concern whatsoever, but with the amount of people, and the potential of losing trails at White Mesa bringing even more traffic, it would be nice to have some alternatives. There is actually more "rideable" terrain on the West side of the ridge. I've had discussions with the recreational director at BLM. I'm sure it will be a relatively slow process, but the good news is there have been inroads into the area already. They are just currently closed to motorized traffic. Although, I think BLM takes a different stance with regard to lumping MTB's into the "motorized" crowd.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast