Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bandolero Crew N.M.

Three Bottle Vandalism

Out on an evening ride yesterday we ran into quite a bit of vandalism at several different spots on the trail. At several of the features large rocks were either pulled out of the feature or the side of the trail and placed on the trail in front or out of site directly behind it. These were not rocks kicked up by bike tires. Some of these were large rocks and very intentionally placed. Most were on 3-B but one was on the Drop in trail. We took care of everything we found. With a very busy weekend coming up, keep your eyes pealed before you hit that $h1t. Makes me sick to think someone would purposely try to injure riders out here in the East Mtns.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that. Seems as though, this sort of thing is only getting worse... If anyone sees anything suspicious including a description of individual(s), please report asap.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting up Steve.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Thanks for posting up Steve.
    Three Bottle Vandalism-oldmanjoe.jpg

mtbr member

Hope

Last edited by Fuglio; 05-23-2013 at 06:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Well, that's a keeper.

Stucco Bucket
    actually guys this is really old. its a message that was drama here in the NM forum a while back. I promised myself Id always stir the pot

Bandolero
    They hit this again yesterday. I rode 3btls with Fred at about 6 yesterday and all the log rollovers were either torn out or sabotaged. The easy exit on the log ride after the big slab was pushed out into the trail. Several cheater rocks were pulled out. I suspect we were the first ones to ride through as the vandalism was enough that even a lazy rider would have pushed it out of the way. So it happened right before 6:15 when we rolled through.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Genius
    Kerry (or anyone),

The culprit will never be found unless we use technology. Who has a motion camera that can be strategically placed to catch them "red handed"? Something like this perhaps.

Moultrie Game Spy I-35 IR Game Camera - Walmart.com

Even if we cant recognize the person the USFS can always send the pictures to the news media. Local news channels love this type of story if we have pictures that prove the vandalism and the public is encouraged to use the anonymous cops hotline to turn them in.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    Kerry (or anyone),

The culprit will never be found unless we use technology. Who has a motion camera that can be strategically placed to catch them "red handed"? Something like this perhaps....

Moultrie Game Spy I-35 IR Game Camera - Walmart.com
    +1. We all know of where some others are set up around the trail system up there.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    +1. We all know of where some others are set up around the trail system up there.
    I sent an email to Kerry asking if they have a game camera that could be put up on the trail. He said he could not make it out there this week. He is making up some signage to put up on the trail in the mean time that I'll put up tomorrow. I have some time the next few days and plan to spend quite a bit of it lurking around out there. I would love nothing better than to catch this guy. Nothing like a pissed off mtn biker.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Thanks to Kerry for making and posting some warning signs at Three-Bottles yesterday. They were up yesterday afternoon. While out there yesterday I also noticed that pretty much all flagging on the lower side of the trail for the new lines was gone. Prob. the same person. Little does he know that they have all been GPS-ed and are also locked into my memory. Remember,keep you eyes open and get lots of miles in this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three Bottle Vandalism-3-bs-001.jpg  

Three Bottle Vandalism-3-bs-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    I never pass up an excuse to ride for work but I'd rather not have this issue. Sad.

I'm hoping the formal designation of Three Bottles will help cut down on this sorta thing but there's some real idiots out there taking the "law" into their own hands...

mtbr member
    Funny I was just awarded a grant to purchas such cameras but the intended use is monitoring problem spots with full size vehicles...either way, as fast as some of the wheels around here go the cameras will be in hand by the time the snow flies...

mtbr member
    That would defeat the point wouldn't it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Put the cameras up in your biggest problem areas. I see greater and more long-lasting damage from 4x4s and ATVs than from trail vandals. An example is the old pinon at the top of Coyote I've taken a break under for years. Seems someone was putting rocks in the middle of the trail on Western Boundary last summer. Wasn't too hard to ride over or around them though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm working up a whole new suite of disguises, just in case...

mtbr member
    Might I recommend a Guy Fawkes mask?

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by toldsoya View Post
    Vanity is a deadly sin, Bob. I never took you for someone who liked to have his picture taken.
    Not sure what gave you that impression. Whatever preserves the trail. However, your resistance to these cameras raises a certain curiousness with your paranoia....
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Cameras may be the answer, but I am a little uneasy at the idea of government using cameras to watch citizens. Maybe it's warranted, but if it it doesn't raise the hair on the back of your neck just a little, maybe it's time to pay more attention to what's happening around you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Cameras may be the answer, but I am a little uneasy at the idea of government using cameras to watch citizens. Maybe it's warranted, but if it it doesn't raise the hair on the back of your neck just a little, maybe it's time to pay more attention to what's happening around you.
    Is it 1984 already?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Which is why I ALWAYS wear my Obama mask when building jumps and features on upper Otero...

Genius
    Keep in mind these are public lands and there should be no expectation of privacy. I see no problem with cameras out in public areas. They help prevent crime and catch the fools that keep us from having nice things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You might have more "nice things" if you participated in anything but the occasional rant on the internet.

So, who will keep people from vandalizing the cameras? How much will all of this cost to monitor/maintenance these cameras? Will they have an on board memory card or will it be remote? You own a business, right? Do you think it's "worth" it, bobby? Again, it's all about efficiency...
    Exactly what I was thinking, seems like a huge expenditure of resources to prevent people from moving rocks. It suck that people do it, and I don't like it more than anyone else, but with the time and resources spent it seems more efficient to just put the rocks back.

I know we all want vengeance for this kind of thing, but lets try to be practical with the tax dollars.

Genius
    You might have more "nice things" if you participated in anything but the occasional rant on the internet.

So, who will keep people from vandalizing the cameras? How much will all of this cost to monitor/maintenance these cameras? Will they have an on board memory card or will it be remote? You own a business, right? Do you think it's "worth" it, bobby? Again, it's all about efficiency...
    An additional $99 dollar camera seems like a worthy investment if it helps. My tires cost more than that. Besides, do you really think there are not cameras already up there? There are. I have seen them, maybe you haven't. Not that it matters but I have done my time building and maintaining trails. I was out there before you even started riding. These last few years I have been building a family and a business which leaves little time for much else but I do what I can on my own time. But I think it's fair to say I have spent far more time working the trails than you. Including your "illegal ones"..... but I ride those too and I have no issue with that oddly enough

If proposing that technology be used is a "rant" then you misunderstand. It sure seems more efficient than fixing the trail every few days..... rant over. If thats what this was.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast