mtbr member

There be trails in the Gila National Forrest!

According to the Forrest Service, "hundreds of miles of trails are accessible by mountain
    bike" in the Gila National Forrest.

Gila National Forest - Mountain Biking

But I can't seem to find one trail review out here that points to any great trails in Gila.

Anyone here have "the scoop"?

TIA
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What do you want? How many hours? What level of uphill or downhill tech? There are a few rides linked to the gila hike and bike website, but you are best off talking to jay in the shop and buying a map.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    There are a few rides linked to the gila hike and bike website, but you are best off talking to jay in the shop and buying a map.
    Perfect!

Gila Hike & Bike

Looking for totally All Mountain type of rides. Best if it is tucked into pine and aspen forests.
    Max of 20 to 30 mile loops with around 4K or 5K of climbing, traversing the most technical
    sections. Man-made stunts are OK, but natural stunts are better. (Sometimes it's difficult
    for me to trust a man-made feature to be robust)
    We'll settle for easier loops as long as the scenery is awesome.

EDIT: Just looked at the rides on the site and it looks like there's plenty of great stuff out
    there! Thanks again!
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    On the website the most tech ride is the emory pass ride. One of the trails could be considered a man-made stunt. The ride is a loop where you climb the paved road to emory pass, but has a little out-and -back section to Sawyer's peak. I would not do it without a topo gps and good route-finding skills.

Tadpole ridge loop is next, and pretty tech. There is some singletrack down Sheep Corral creek that is not on the GPS track that you could find on a map and is fun, it parallels the road you have to ride on otherwise.

Then the Continental Divide Trail has all kinds of options for loops, the sport course is good fun, mid-tech.

If you are coming out there may be a few people doing a group ride you could get in on, check at the shop. Not much stunting going on here, you are on your own with that.

Flaccid Member
    When does the snow start flying down there? Also, are the shop rides for racer bois, or Old and Slow type of rides too?

Flaccid Member
    What do you want? How many hours? What level of uphill or downhill tech? There are a few rides linked to the gila hike and bike website, but you are best off talking to jay in the shop and buying a map.
    + rep for ya.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    When does the snow start flying down there? Also, are the shop rides for racer bois, or Old and Slow type of rides too?
    I will ballpark it and say the snow starts in December, but there could be some earlier. The first couple seem to melt off, but the higher trails are out for a few months. There are still trails to ride, just not all of them. Maybe there is a few days here and there when you can't mtb somewhere during the winter.

Shop rides are old and slow by big city standards, but not always beginner friendly, if that makes sense. They are also sporadic, so call the shop and see what is going on that week.

Flaccid Member
    I will ballpark it and say the snow starts in December, but there could be some earlier. The first couple seem to melt off, but the higher trails are out for a few months. There are still trails to ride, just not all of them. Maybe there is a few days here and there when you can't mtb somewhere during the winter.

Shop rides are old and slow by big city standards, but not always beginner friendly, if that makes sense. They are also sporadic, so call the shop and see what is going on that week.
    Any elevation rides or runs with the Aspens in fall colors, and some nice buff single track, some stuff more XC rated? Carpet of gold is cool too, if it's too late. Just not looking for young buck big bike gnar chunkies any more, only got a trail bike to ride no FR or DH rig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any elevation rides or runs with the Aspens in fall colors, and some nice buff single track, some stuff more XC rated? Carpet of gold is cool too, if it's too late. Just not looking for young buck big bike gnar chunkies any more, only got a trail bike to ride no FR or DH rig.
    No fall colors, sorry. We are lucky we have pine trees. You can find a few aspen if you try, but not many and you don't get to ride through them. They are done now, anyway. Last weekend was the peak.

There are plenty of xc trails, try the gomez peak area and go from there. Signal peak area is fun. Everything is forest service trail and fine on a trail bike, just some is more technical with no thought having been given to mountain bikes, except on the newly constructed portions of the continental divide trail.

Flaccid Member
    New sections of the CDT? The stuff from the race last June July? Hmmmm, any GPX files of that section, say north of Pinos Altos, in the hills? How does that ride for the Old and Slow? I'm on a 29'er with 100mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    New sections of the CDT? The stuff from the race last June July? Hmmmm, any GPX files of that section, say north of Pinos Altos, in the hills? How does that ride for the Old and Slow? I'm on a 29'er with 100mm
    I mean any cdt portion that is less than fifteen years old, roughly. They have been building connector sections, that is the only new trail construction going on. That includes the downhill in the race course, except a small section. That is on the website, I see.

The CDT north from PA is gnarly until you get to the race course, definitely don't ride it north to south, do it the other way and is almost all downhill.

There are new sections of CDT in the Burros that aren't on maps yet, and there is a new map of the area from Pinos Altos to the north and west. That is why I am saying stop in at the shop, they can tell you which sections are fun and in which direction. A 100mm 29er is perfect around here, just show up and ride.

Grinder
    Another good place to ride is Fort Bayard. There is lots of great xc action there and if you know where to look DH too.
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

Grinder

This year we are looking at dry conditions. I think snow wont be a problem at all unfortunately since we really need the moisture. BTW I live in Hurley.
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984