mtbr member

Is there anything other than sand on the west side?

Hey all,

I live in the Ventana Ranch area. I'm very out of shape, but I want to start riding again. I have an early nineties Schwinn (fully rigid of course), and it seems every time I get off the pavement to what I think is dirt, it turns out to be more like sand. If you guys think riding in sand is tough, try it with an extra forty pounds strapped to you gut and a heavy chrome-moly bike!

Is there anything I can do to make the trek easier? I'm sure my bike could use a lube job, and my plastic pedals are cracked at the spindle ends, but will addressing these issues really make things any easier? Is there some sand riding technique that I don't know about (other than the obvious drop the forty pounds or so)?

Lastly, are there any "dirt" areas around the west side? I just want some place to ride (flat is good for now) where I don't have to be in the streets with traffic. Any suggestions would be great!

off to ride
    Jun 2008
    ride the bosque trail (asphalt and goes from Alameda to Isleta Lakes area) or go to Corrales Bosque and ride the dirt single tracks. There are a few sandy spots in Corrales, but most is hard dirt. It's not very technical, but it's flat and away from traffic.

mtbr member
    When the first snow hits the west side the sand will harden up to make it ridable.
    Believe it or not that soft sand will help you lose some of that 40lbs....more spinning low gears...try to maintain a steady pace...plus it will help you aerobically. OK your not happy with that I understand. There are many interwoven paths on the west side that have some sand that you can ride around and through that wont ruin your day you will have to just ride the mesa to find which ones are rideable...My choice is behind the KB homes on Universe you will find a path that goes slightly uphill that is fairly hardpack/loose rock and minor sand it will stop at an iron gate go through it and head west to the powerlines (dont cheat stay on the dirt) turn north and follow the jeep trail (IT IS ALL SAND) under the powerlines north to the last volcano (you will actually pass the volcano and a single track will apear just north of the last volcano...climb/walk/push up to the top of the volcano (VERY LOOSE ROCKS) (great view) ...the descent from the volcano is steep with VERY LOOSE ROCKS BE CAREFUL!!! Follow the trail it is mostly loose rocks and hard pack that goes south to one of the other volcanos...then goes west on loose rocks that turns into sand...at the bottom it will intercept the same iron gate you went through earlier...go through the gate and head west to KB homes along the fence line..its hard pack with loose rocks...its downhill...it is about 6 miles...BTW if you have verizon cell phone it will work on the mesa volcanos...but it will drain your battery casue it will be searching for a signal...it works though.
    The initial climb will get your heart pumping...the sand will get your legs spinning...the downhill will make it worth it...and you will start to lose that weight...BTW watch out for the rattlers.
    Or you could ride the Boqsue paved path 10 miles from Alameda to the zoo round trip 20
    Bottomline there arent any decent HARDPACK trails like the foothills on the westside