banned

thanks for the 'sticky' dhfaster, dagoat, and LCdave

I did not want to OT the thread with this post, but thanks! Should help with participation.

High Alpine Adventure

Only you can prevent trail degradation!!!

Yeah, been meaning to get that done for a while. Thanks to DHill for the help.

The Thread is closed and only Dave and I can post there. We didn't want it to be a discussion space, We'll use it to notify everyone of any Trail Building activities that are scheduled either here in Northern NM or down south near Dave.

Thanks to everyone who helps out on these...it's a labor of love and you'll never be famous for doing it, but the joy of riding a trail you remember building is pretty special. It's what has gotten me hooked on this. You go by rocks and dips and bench cuts where you go; "Man, I remember digging that in." It really is cool and does get into ya.

So I hope others get the urge to come on out for at least a couple trail building sessions each year. Consider it giving back to the stoke for everyone.

Peace out,

DtG
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

banned
    Are you gonna post the CDT weekend on the 26th.

High Alpine Adventure
    Sept. 27th is more of an exploration session, not an organized Trail Building Event. Next summer we'll be having the IMBA Crew up there and we'll do some other Organized Sessions. I'll post them when they take shape.

Patience grasshopper, patience...
    Dug-Da-Goat

Thread Pollution
    sorry to say ABQ is not northern NewMexico,you are living in Central NewMexico when residing in Albuturkey.La Bajada is the divisidero. your educated,Thank about it.
    Trails,,,, let's focus on something that needs attention ,Socorro needs help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    Trails,,,, let's focus on something that needs attention ,Socorro needs help
    Agree.

Besides, the CDT out of Cumbres Pass isn't even in NM. Shouldn't a NM IMBA trail session focus on building and maintaining NM trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Agree.

Besides, the CDT out of Cumbres Pass isn't even in NM. Shouldn't a NM IMBA trail session focus on building and maintaining NM trails?
    Hey, you (and others) took nice photos and now everyone wants to go ride it and fix it. I can't blame them. I want to go too.

Along the line of trail maintenance...which seems to be the theme here, anyone checked out the status of Centennial out by Taos. I've been thinking about this trail since Timo mentioned last year that it was in some pretty bad shape. Kinda thinking about an exploratory ride. I'd probably pack in my Echo and a small hand saw to do a bit of work along the ride. Someone up for that?
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Now you have AndyN agreeing with you

Welcome to the darkside! You are welcome to join in Maka!

banned
    Socorro has more than enough support...besides, when was the last time that you rode in Socorro AndyN? This is more than a local thing. The locals don't give a rats arse about CDT from Cumbres Pass. Thats why Doug has brought it to the forefront.

banned
    "Build it...and they WILL come!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    Hey, you (and others) took nice photos and now everyone wants to go ride it and fix it. I can't blame them. I want to go too.

Along the line of trail maintenance...which seems to be the theme here, anyone checked out the status of Centennial out by Taos. I've been thinking about this trail since Timo mentioned last year that it was in some pretty bad shape. Kinda thinking about an exploratory ride. I'd probably pack in my Echo and a small hand saw to do a bit of work along the ride. Someone up for that?
    Not blaming anyone for wanting to work on trails, I just find it odd that a NM IMBA trail work session will spend it's time on a Colorado trail.

When are you thinking of heading up to Centennial? And on that note how's the weather holding out up north? It's starting to feel like autumn down here.

High Alpine Adventure

CDT and other things...

Hey guys... dissention is cool... it breeds consensus... then again, not sure I want Maka breeding anything.

The Cumbres CDT is indeed in Colorado, but it's in a grey zone. The folks in Colorado (Durango, Salida, CB, etc.) don't think of that area being their stomping grounds and the local riders up there (what there are of them) obviously haven't taken on the maintenance of this part of the CDT as a mission. Plus it would be a good draw for Chama, which is in NM. So it's all good.

IMBA is presently in the middle of a campaign to reclaim, restore and develop the CDT. We spent a lot of time this summer up in Wyoming and Northern Colorado improving the trail. When Spencer saw what we presented on the Cumbres Pass he was stoked to get a crew to come in and help. So next summer we'll be doing this as a focus on the CDT. Call it a joint project with the Colorado IMBA Teams.

In addition Mark Reineke (one of the other Northern NM Reps) is working on some things out on Mt. Taylor for the CDT. I'm also looking to develop a relationship with the folks out in Cuba, who are also working on the CDT route. So there's lots going on with the CDT both here and in the rest of the Mountain States.

As far as Socorro is concerned, they have some folks working down there. The trail for the Cerrillos Del Coyote Race was developed by locals. And we'll post any work days they have. Also Bill Siebersma out in Gallup contacted me about his work days as well. And that's what the sticky is all about. Giving you the opportunity to support the maintenance and development of the trails in NM and specifically your area.

As far as priorities and who does what, we in IMBA will never drive that. Yeah, when we see a project like La Madera Open Space that needs support, Trail Partners (the IMBA Affiliated Club for the Albuquerque Area) will come in and help. Now what would be nice is to form IMBA Affiliated clubs for areas like Gallup, SF and Sorcorro. We need leaders in this area and if you want to step up and help prioritize and establish focus for the trails in your area, the more the merrier.
    Last edited by DaGoat; 09-20-2008 at 09:49 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky

I dont know this trail. I am in. Name the time and place.

It has been beautiful up here. Did Lost Creek yesterday, wild roses and mountain Laurel are starting to go, Cottonwoods in the valley are changing, Aspens are doing the ultra green thing. We are still getting "monsoon" type storms every afternoon and have been in the mid thirties in the morning. Greg
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

banned
    Well said! clap, clap....clap.........clap,........more clapping.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    I dont know this trail. I am in. Name the time and place.
    Well, saying the trail is up Taos way might be misleading if you live in Taos...it's kinda down by Penasco and Ski Sipapu. Hmm...10 miles E of Truchas.

You can find Centennial on the National Geographic Taos map #730...looks like this

The trailhead for Centennial starts at 36.044866,-105.672925. You can kinda see it moving through the woods on a satellite map. Lots of other trails around there as well...could make some nice 20+ mile loops.

As usual, I'm thinking a week day ride. It's easier for me to take a day off of work than to duke it out with the wife for a prized weekend slot. Any day of the week is fine with me as long as it isn't Sat. or Sun. I'm looking maybe 2 weeks out...end of Sept/Early Oct time frame.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    We are headed to Cumbres again this weekend. You and the wife/kids are welcome to join.