Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Thanks Greg de Taos

My buddies and I wanted to put out a big shout to Greg.

We hit up some of Taos' finest last weekend. The weather, trails, camping, hospitality were all top notch. South Boundary is, indeed, one AWESOME ride. Tight, twisty singletrack that goes for miles and miles, if you like that sort of thing And ripping through the sage on the Horse Thief trail will get anyone smiling.

Also, Ray at Gearing Up is one heck of a gentleman. Driving that van up the dirt road to South Boundary doesn't look fun, but he was helpful, enthusiastic and friendly.

Finally, Arroyo Seco is one funky place.

Anyone who likes to ride in beautiful spots should put Taos on their list. Thanks again,

E

Thread Pollution
    Greg finally learned his way around what he calls his home town?? or did he finally learn how to read that GPS and down load trail info. touche

banned
    So how was Salida? Went to change fork seals on Friday night and found the ones Zoke sent were too small. This was after I destroyed the old ones during removal

Anyway, wasn't to0 confident going the xtra miles on the 55 'specially when I had just installed a new cart and was feeling stickyicky. Next time!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I leave town for a couple of weeks and people start talking sh*t. Sorry I missed you Tim, we had to leave town a few days early due to my Dad's poor planning (funny how the kids turn into the responsible ones). Glad you guys had fun, keep coming to Taos, we need all the help we can get and there is some really good riding here.
    Maka, you have been talking to SSweatleaf, and I didnt get all that lost, just a little detour that got us where we were going. ha. Kids are back in school this week, have you ridden in Taos Ski Valley? Frazer to Bull of the Woods to Gold Hill to Long Canyon with options for Lost Lake or Goose Lake?
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    have you ridden in Taos Ski Valley? Frazer to Bull of the Woods to Gold Hill to Long Canyon with options for Lost Lake or Goose Lake?
    I talked about hooking up with you for a ride from TSV to Goose Lake and then down to Red River, or actually the other way 'round last summer. Got busy and never did it. I'm starting to think about that ride again. Would you be free in a couple of weeks to show me the route (or at least have some GPS maps that I could use if you're busy).

Edit: I'm actually thinkng TSV-Goose Lake-Red River-Goose Lake-TSV to avoid the shuttle. I'm guessing 8000' of climbing, but should be a fun day of riding.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am ready for that ride! Sounds like a lot of fun. I would suggest climbing up Frasier first and skirting the wilderness down to Bull of the Woods then up to Goose Lake, down the creek "trail" and back again, I think 8000 is about right but I have some spots up there that I cannot get elevation data for and screws up the entire profile. Kids are back in school on Wednesday so I am free to ride most any day. Let me know.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    I am ready for that ride! Sounds like a lot of fun. I would suggest climbing up Frasier first and skirting the wilderness down to Bull of the Woods then up to Goose Lake, down the creek "trail" and back again, I think 8000 is about right but I have some spots up there that I cannot get elevation data for and screws up the entire profile. Kids are back in school on Wednesday so I am free to ride most any day. Let me know.

If this is an open invite, I'm in. Time and place?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It is just plain open, come up anytime and I will ride it, seven minutes from my front door and this is only one of the many trails I have come to love in the TSV area. There is one land owner up there that wants to charge to ride across his land but I have found (cut) a way around him so all is a go. Just get here early! It has rained every day that I have been in town all summer long. We have camping now right next door in the ten buck a night range, if the weather sucks, they have inexpensive rooms as well.

Thread Pollution
    Thanks Greg those rides would be great to do with you. and i was just giving you a little love rub since I haven't seen you in a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I deserved it. I have been riding single speed up here all summer and loving it, I feel like a little kid on the bike again and nothing ever breaks. Seems to make you strong as all get out as well.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of heading up next Friday (Aug 22) to do the ride mentioned above. Going to see if Greg and/or others were free that day to do lots-0-climbing.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Count me in! Can we carpool?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Count me in! Can we carpool?
    Awesome, swing by my house in LA and pick me up.

Meet in Pojoaque and I can haul the rest of the way. I've got room for a couple more passengers in my jeepster. My hitch carrier has room for only 2 bikes, so we'd need to do a bit of disassembly to get both bikes and passengers in the back if more than you come. Any chance your 4x bike hauler uses a 2" hitch mount?

banned
    Yeppers! Easy transfer should others wish join in the massacre

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyone else want to ride single speed? I broke the dropout on my new fox RLC and it is off to the factory, not due back for a couple of weeks. ouch.

banned
    No thanks. The only gear I have is a 36 x 18 on a 26'er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    oh come on, where is your sense of adventure? 4000 feet of climbing in the way wrong gear!!

banned
    I would rather crank my 38.5lb geared at least the DH would be fun.

mtbr member
    I don't have a singlespeed--I can try to shift less often. Maybe I'll choose 18-36 on the way up and 36-18 on the way down. Sort of a single speed in each direction

Bummer to hear about the RLC dropout issue.

banned
    Don't let me forget to give you your wrench.

mtbr member
    While we're reminding you about things, remember that the ride is a week from tomorrow....not tomorrow. I seem to recall some confusion about rides before.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wow, that is a very kind offer, keeping it it the right gear and all. It would be more fun if you did the opposite.

I am pretty bummed about the RLC. I have seriously broken three bikes this summer. Road bike somebody tried to steal a couple of weeks ago, I sprinted after them and grabbed it out of the back of their pick up.(I was hitching home from a flat in the rain) It hit the side rail of the truck and bent the frame right in half. I should have just let them have it, then someone could have rode it. UG.

crap magnet
    Sounds fun. I've been looking for a chance to get up to Taos for a ride this summer and next Friday might fit the bill. Need to clear some work stuff first but I'll try to be there.
    Not sure I'll roll with the singlespeed though. Sorry Greg.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok so nobody wants to ride single up and over the mountain. I have to ask, would you guys ride a bike with a broken drop out, just half of it is missing (back half) and the wheel seems to stay on just fine thanks to those "lawyer tab" things. I know I am grasping at straws, tell me I am stupid and to just spend the 400 bucks, but I miss my bike.

crap magnet
    Hmmm, guess I'll bring the ss after all. I'm willing suffer in order to assure your safety. It'll be better than hauling your busted carcass off the mountain. You can thank me later.

Honestly, I have no idea what the route you've described has in store.
    Don't tell me!! I want it to be a surprise.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast