Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tell me about Farmington

979 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  av8trinabarrel 
#1 ·
I have the chance to move there. From Denver. I have been there several times and ridden the alien run(?) and the whoops. I know its a small town, but its hard to picture what life would be like there. Limited restaurant selections I know.

The thing is, I have been trying to sell my wife on all the great outdoor opportunities there. But is it true? Besides the 2 trails I rode, it seems like biking is limited unless you drive an hour or more (which isn't too bad compared to Denver depending on what part of Denver).

I was also surprised at my lack of results when I searched for hiking in the area. So what's up with this town?

#3 ·
Given you've been in town and ridden the two most popular trails, you know the general layout and demographics.

From a mtn bike trails standpoint there are two more trail systems - Pinion Mesa and Barker Dome. Pinion is now mostly for moto's, has gotten sandy but if you know which sections and when to ride it can still be enjoyable. Barker Dome system is much more technical with quite a bit of HAB (at least for me), but has some fun sections.

Given the terrain there is really limited biking close to town.

As you have seen, the town itself has limited restaurants and nightlife and is a unique mix of working class energy, medical and reservation bordertown influence. People either really like it or really dislike it.

Whether you and your wife would enjoy it vs Denver depends on what satisfies you.

I've lived here for 25+ years, moved from Montana to Denver then here. Came for a job as an engineer in the energy field. Its been great for me - met my wife, raised two excellent kids who are now successfully working their way through college, have had a good career, and in general like the conservative working class nature of the town.

Feel free to PM me if you have specifics, especially on what your wife is looking for in a place to live.

Good luck

#5 ·
If your willing to drive a bit there is lots of riding - ie all SW CO (Durango, Cortez, Dolores, Telluride....) plus NM rides in the Jemez, Gallup, Abq. Of these Durango and Cortez are the closest at about an hour.

As far as hiking goes basically all BLM and State Land are open for hiking. Official "hiking" trails are limited but the high desert is wide open to go were you want. I've taken both kids and dogs out almost every weekend for years and have not even come close to exploring all the country within 30 miles of town. Topography ranges from Pinon/Juniper forest to badlands (Bisti badlands wilderness is 40 minutes). Basically you can be out of town and hiking in 5-10 minutes from anywhere in town. For more established hiking trails a drive to Colorado is needed.

If you are seriously considering moving here - I would highly recommend bringing her to town and spend a bit of time. Not sure if your wife works, but especially if she does not, she has to be happy were you live.

I would be more than happy to show you around.

#6 ·
If your willing to drive a bit there is lots of riding - ie all SW CO (Durango, Cortez, Dolores, Telluride....) plus NM rides in the Jemez, Gallup, Abq. Of these Durango and Cortez are the closest at about an hour.

As far as hiking goes basically all BLM and State Land are open for hiking. Official "hiking" trails are limited but the high desert is wide open to go were you want. I've taken both kids and dogs out almost every weekend for years and have not even come close to exploring all the country within 30 miles of town. Topography ranges from Pinon/Juniper forest to badlands (Bisti badlands wilderness is 40 minutes). Basically you can be out of town and hiking in 5-10 minutes from anywhere in town. For more established hiking trails a drive to Colorado is needed.
If you are seriously considering moving here - I would highly recommend bringing her to town and spend a bit of time. Not sure if your wife works, but especially if she does not, she has to be happy were you live.

I would be more than happy to show you around.
We are going out there in a couple of weeks. Wife doesn't work. Thanks for the offer man, I'll PM you.

#2 ·
Well, it's mostly industrial/petroleum industry, so expect whatever culture that brings (good and bad). It's abutted by the Navajo Nation, so access is a little trickier looking West. Let's see, you are 1.5hr from Durango, 45m from Cortez, and about 2.5/3hr from Moab....so yes, there's a lifetime worth of exploration. It just doesn't seem like that pleasant of a town to me, but I have never really spent all that time in the proper town itself.

#4 ·
That's some good input guys thanks. I should mention that before Denver we lived in Tucson, and love the southwest style and Mexican influence down there. Tucson has tons of trails for hiking and biking everywhere very close to town. I suppose I was hoping for something similar in Farmington, but I guess that type of stuff is a bit of a drive.

nmfly, do you drive to Durango for mountain biking? Any other places that are close enough for day trips?

In Denver I drive 1 to 1.5 hours to get to a good ride often, so I guess its not that big of a deal. My hope was that there would be some nearby hiking my wife could do with the dogs, like in or near the . Without that, I'm not sure she could be happy.

#7 ·
Gallup, 1 hour, Durango 1.5hrs., Moab 2.5 hours, Fruita 3 hours, Canyonlands, 2.5 hours. Nothing good real close but dead center of some nice areas.

#8 ·
I lived there 15 years ago flying for Mesa Airlines. Durango is closer to a 45 minute drive than 1.5 hours. You are correct, that nothing is real close, but you are central to many things.

When I lived there, it was a forced move and I hated it at first. Growing up and going to school in SD was a tough adjustment for a 25 year old kid. Back then it was a one mall, 2 movie theater place with minimal restaurant choices. Red Lobster was the premier restaurant and that was a real special evening :) It took a good 6 months and I actually started to enjoy myself, mainly because I was making plenty of trips to durango and the surrounding mountains. If your a true outdoorsman and I mean you and your lady, then farmington isn't bad. If your looking for nightlife, then fuggetaboutit. If I had the option of living in Durango or farmtown, then I would be all over durango. Great great place.

When I left, I was actually sad and really savored the time I had in ole charmington

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.