Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taos, TX???

banned

Taos, TX???

What's up with all the douches in Northern, NM? They are taking over

Associated Press release:

By MELANIE DABOVICH, Associated Press Writer Melanie Dabovich, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 36 mins ago

TAOS, N.M. Larry Whitten marched into this northern New Mexico town in late July on a mission: resurrect a failing hotel.

The tough-talking former Marine immediately laid down some new rules. Among them, he forbade the Hispanic workers at the run-down, Southwestern adobe-style hotel from speaking Spanish in his presence (he thought they'd be talking about him), and ordered some to Anglicize their names.

No more Martin (Mahr-TEEN). It was plain-old Martin. No more Marcos. Now it would be Mark.

Whitten's management style had worked for him as he's turned around other distressed hotels he bought in recent years across the country.

The 63-year-old Texan, however, wasn't prepared for what followed.

His rules and his firing of several Hispanic employees angered his employees and many in this liberal enclave of 5,000 residents at the base of the Sangre de Cristo mountains, where the most alternative of lifestyles can find a home and where Spanish language, culture and traditions have a long and revered history.

"I came into this landmine of Anglos versus Spanish versus Mexicans versus Indians versus everybody up here. I'm just doing what I've always done," he says.

Former workers, their relatives and some town residents picketed across the street from the hotel.

"I do feel he's a racist, but he's a racist out of ignorance. He doesn't know that what he's doing is wrong," says protester Juanito Burns Jr., who identified himself as prime minister of an activist group called Los Brown Berets de Nuevo Mexico.

The Virginia-born Whitten had spent 40 years in the hotel business, turning around more than 20 hotels in Texas, Oklahoma, Florida and South Carolina, before moving with his wife to Taos from Abilene, Texas. He had visited Taos before, and liked its beauty. When Whitten saw that the Paragon Inn was up for sale, he jumped at it.

The hotel sits along narrow, two-lane Paseo del Pueblo, where souped-up lowriders radiate a just-waxed gleam in the soft sunshine as they cruise past centuries-old adobe buildings. One recent afternoon, a woman slowly rode her fat-tire bicycle along a cracked sidewalk, oversized purple butterfly wings on her back and a breeze blowing her long, blonde dreadlocks.

The community includes Taos Pueblo, an American Indian dwelling inhabited for over 1,000 years, and an adobe Catholic church made famous in a Georgia O'Keeffe painting.

After he arrived, Whitten met with the employees. He says he immediately noticed that they were hostile to his management style and worried they might start talking about him in Spanish.

"Because of that, I asked the people in my presence to speak only English because I do not understand Spanish," Whitten says. "I've been working 24 years in Texas and we have a lot of Spanish people there. I've never had to ask anyone to speak only English in front of me because I've never had a reason to."

Some employees were fired, Whitten says, because they were hostile and insubordinate. He says they called him "a white (N-word)."

Fired hotel manager Kathy Archuleta says the workers initially tried to adjust to his style. "We had already gone through four or five owners before him, so we knew what to expect," Archuleta says. "I told (the workers) we needed to give him a chance."

Then Whitten told some employees he was changing their Spanish first names. Whitten says it's a routine practice at his hotels to change first names of employees who work the front desk phones or deal directly with guests if their names are difficult to understand or pronounce.

"It has nothing to do with racism. I'm not doing it for any reason other than for the satisfaction of my guests, because people calling from all over America don't know the Spanish accents or the Spanish culture or Spanish anything," Whitten says.

Martin Gutierrez, another fired employee, says he felt disrespected when he was told to use the unaccented Martin as his name. He says he told Whitten that Spanish was spoken in New Mexico before English. "He told me he didn't care what I thought because this was his business," Gutierrez says.

"I don't have to change my name and language or heritage," he says. "I'm professional the way I am."

After the firings, the New Mexico chapter of the League of United Latin American Citizens, a national civil rights group, sent Whitten a letter, raising concerns about treatment of Hispanic workers. Whitten says he sent them a letter and posted messages on the hotel marquee, alleging that the group referred to him with a racial slur. LULAC denied the charge.

The messages and comments he made in interviews with local media, including referring to townsfolk as "mountain people" and "potheads who escaped society," further enflamed tensions.

Taos Mayor Darren Cordova says Whitten wasn't doing anything illegal. But he says Whitten failed to better familiarize himself with the town and its culture before deciding to buy the hotel for $2 million. "Taos is so unique that you would not do anything in Taos that you would do elsewhere," he says.

Whitten grew subdued as a two-hour interview with The Associated Press progressed. He said he was sorry for the misunderstanding and insisted he has never been against any culture.

"What kind of fool or idiot or poor businessman would I be to orchestrate this whole crazy thing that's costed me a lot of time, money and aggravation?" Whitten said.

Whitten should have dealt with the situation differently, especially in a majority Hispanic town, said 71-year-old Taos artist Ken O'Neil, while sipping his afternoon coffee on the town's historic plaza.

"To make demands like he did just seems over the top," he says. "Nobody won here. It's not always about winning. Sometimes, it's about what you learn."

I <3 NM
    Whoa!! The asshat from the "NM is full of Psychos and Morons" thread bought a hotel in Taos??!

Link:
    http://www.paragoninntaos.com
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That guy is a douche bag. Called me to ask me to do a job there, first question: "Are you an Anglo?" My answer "F-you"

Maybe he didn't see the Mexico attached to the end of our state name. Big story up here for months.

Don't stay at the Whitten Inn. We will put you up for free instead.

I have to say I blame the locals some too, used to be if a guy acted like that we would run him out of town, now we sue and march around with signs as if it means something.

Douche Bag.

Bandolero
    Wow

banned

Lock up yer Goats!

"...Oklahoma, maybe. But not Texas"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You need to post that vid that got you banned that one time. I'm just kidding, don't.

banned

I promise...

How does one become an elected official in the state of Tejas?

"no more taxes!

...and a crackdown on all of the goat fookin'!.."

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    What's up with all the douches in Northern, NM? They are taking over
    I'll bet they're in cahoots with the *****es in central New Mexico!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Thread starter bias

I agree with every single one of the negitave comments about the Virginia NATIVE treating spanish speakers unfairly. The courts and the EEOC will ream that bigot!
    This thread-starter angers me because of the title: "Taos Tx".
    I am a Texas native and don't like being lumped in with your take on the mindset of the whole population of Texas. Sounds like you are no better than the idiot hotel owner.

banned

My apologies..

Quote Originally Posted by yetipop
    I agree with every single one of the negitave comments about the Virginia NATIVE treating spanish speakers unfairly. The courts and the EEOC will ream that bigot!
    I am a Texas native and don't like being lumped in with your take on the mindset of the whole population of Texas. Sounds like you are no better than the idiot hotel owner.
    Well I guess the only thing we have in common is we are both from Tx

I was merely making a "pun" on all of the Texas money that is floating around northern NM. I did not mean to lump all Texans into the "matrix".

Bearlike

JiffyPop

It's the missionary attitude that rubs other peoples' rhubarb.

I know of a Taos, Missouri. It's got a rockin' 7-11.
    And a Santa Fe, Illinois that's got a diner that serves deep-fried lard balls.

"When Texas declared Independence from Mexico, it claimed everything east of the Rio Grande, and now they're doing their damnedest trying to get it back"
    -Old Timer in the Post Office in Rowe, NM.
    Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage.-E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Love Taos

Love skiing, hiking, and mtb riding in Taos and I would move there if I could afford to. Love the Solar music festival and I would build an off-the-grid solar home on the mesa if I win the lottery. I feel insecure parking my ten year old Subaru Outback with Texas plates at trail-heads anywhere in northern New Mexico. It seems the attitude against Texas is real.... broken mirrors, bent wiper blades, empty GU wrappers stuck in the door jambs.

banned
    Love skiing, hiking, and mtb riding in Taos and I would move there if I could afford to. Love the Solar music festival and I would build an off-the-grid solar home on the mesa if I win the lottery. I feel insecure parking my ten year old Subaru Outback with Texas plates at trail-heads anywhere in northern New Mexico. It seems the attitude against Texas is real.... broken mirrors, bent wiper blades, empty GU wrappers stuck in the door jambs.
    I can't speak from a locals perspective, but as an outsider it seems pretty obvious that some people up there like the money and some people don't.

Bandolero

Italy in America

I feel insecure parking my ten year old Subaru Outback with Texas plates at trail-heads anywhere in northern New Mexico. It seems the attitude against Texas is real.... broken mirrors, bent wiper blades, empty GU wrappers stuck in the door jambs.
    Jebus, don't you ferigners know anything? When you're in New Mexico just grab the plates off of an abandoned schoolbus in someone's yard and stick them on your rig.

Nobody'll notice and the sun-faded plates will blend right in.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It ain't about the money, at least not to me and most people I ask. It is all about the attitude. I have worked for hundreds of people from Texas. Most of the people I sit next to in the nicer eateries are from Texas and overall they are rude and very condescending. They tend to not go with the flow of the place and want Taos to feel like Houston. They b!tch because their cell phone wont work, they b!tch because people speak Spanish, they b!tch because traffic is too slow, they b!tch that the trees are blocking the views (really). It sure isn't Houston and if they want that why don't they just stay home. The best Texans we meet are the ones that come and let loose a bit, enjoy Taos for what it is instead of trying to make it into Texas west.
    This Whitten guy is obviously a dirt bag, but his attitude is no different from what we see day in and day out. Whitten is just loud in a public way. People from Texas tend to talk down to waiters, to store clerks and most often to construction workers. I have come to a point where I generally wont work for anyone from Houston or Dallas, they are always impossible to please and rarely pay their bill, not to mention that they seem to think they are way better than everyone else.
    Texas guy, I am sure you are a fine person, but even the MTB riders and skiers that come here (especially the skiers) seem to think that their sh!t don't stink, that this place exists just to serve them and forget that people live here, people who couldn't give a damn if they ever come. I wouldn't worry about your old Subaru, but if you were driving a hummer with a 40 foot trailer behind it or better yet a 60 foot motormonstrosity with a 40 foot trailer behind it I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of vandalism, and frankly I would cheer it on. See, most of us live here because we like the clean air and water, and people that come here and f that up I will lead the mob to send that cr*p packing!
    That being said I have friends and family from Texas and I love them dearly, but they are the exception, the vast majority of what I see from Texas I wish would never come. I can do without the money if it is attached to the sh!t for attitude that comes with it.
    Our Texas neighbors tend to get very defensive when they are called out, but it needs to be done. They don't own this place, hopefully never will, or it will loose all of what makes it a great place, don't believe me? Take a look at Red River or Angel Fire, those places mostly suck but used to be full of character. Don't like it? Go to Aspen, they love Texas.

Again, this is not directed at any individual, just an overall rant on the attitude of the average Texan.

banned
    GDT put it together well. Much better than I ever could. To them I'm even a city slicker. I don't look down on Texas as a whole or the people who live there, but money does evil things to MOST people. Clouds their vision. It's an excuse to rate yourself above everyone else. I believe everyone is good at heart and the web of life requires that we all be here, but that doesn't mean that we can't mend a few broken strands here and there!

I <3 NM
    The worst thing is that if Taos was to become an overhyped fake cartoon town like Santa Fe just to please non-New Mexicans and their $'s.

I would hate to see Taos become SFe North.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    GDT put it together well. Much better than I ever could. To them I'm even a city slicker. I don't look down on Texas as a whole or the people who live there, but money does evil things to MOST people. Clouds their vision. It's an excuse to rate yourself above everyone else. I believe everyone is good at heart and the web of life requires that we all be here, but that doesn't mean that we can't mend a few broken strands here and there!
    The funny thing is that the vast majority of Texicans aint all that wealthy... but they like to pretend to be. They are known as $30k a Year Millionaires:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2007-1...gs-in-the-mist
    http://www.30kmillionaires.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    The worst thing is that if Taos was to become an overhyped fake cartoon town like Santa Fe just to please non-New Mexicans and their $'s.

I would hate to see Taos become SFe North.
    Me too! Where would I go?

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Me too! Where would I go?

Pie Town?

Chama?

Magdalena?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yummmm. pie.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    yummmm. pie.
    I love the green chile cheese bread at Michael's Kitchen there in Taos.. but in Pie Town you can get green chile in your apple pie..

See the famous recipe:
    http://www.dailypie.com/

Fragilie

S*&t, I feel insecure parking my vehicles anywhere in northern NM and I have NM plates!
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B
    S*&t, I feel insecure parking my vehicles anywhere in northern NM and I have NM plates!
    Parking at the northern Dale Ball parking area a couple years ago was a worry.. because of all the broken window glass on the ground in the lot.

Hey, wait up!
    This one time, in Red River, I spent a long holiday weekend. I thought I was in Dallas, and not in a good way.

I lived in Lubbock. Plenty of cool folks. I've spent time in San Antonio - great vibe. Houston - kill me now. Dallas - well, aren't you all special. Amarillo's ok. I've got close family in Odessa - wow, crazy train. El Paso, heck - them's my peeps.

Texas is a state of mind. So long as douches like Dick Perry and W-lite are the main pubic face of Tx, there will be a major image problem. And the crass Txns do like to invade the nice green places: Ruidoso, Red River, etc. It's a mountain envy kind of thing.

If you're not part of the lump - welcome!
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast