mtbr member

Taos South Boundary conditions: Rideable or Not

I have been planning a trip to taos for a month to ride the South Boundary trail on the 27th of Oct. With the recent snow storms up here in Colorado I'd like some first-hand knowlege of the SBT trail conditions before i just drive down there blind. Is it too late; should I give up for the year? Any info will be appreciated!

banned
    I'm just guessing (educated), but, probably not. Can you travel further South?

mtbr member
    You gotta start planning better... The time of year you were planning to ride SBT is on the cusp of rideability. On a horrible snow year it would still be good to go That would be awful, cuz skiing would suck.
    If I were planning on riding SBT I would make my plans 2 weeks earlier than you did or even slightly earlier. Keep that in mind for next year.
    Still some good MTB riding about 2 hrs south, if you want to chek in w/ Mtn Biker123.

Thread Pollution
    I've done it as late as the first week in December...and for what its worth I'm planning on riding there Nov.1 .,and popping a friends southboundary cherry.Yeah it could dump alot before then but then again my money is on the RIDEABLE side of the equation.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i rode south boundry last sat- it was awesome. surprisingly warm mid 60's throughout ride. not really sure what has happened this week(as far as rain/snow) call gearing up- bike shop in taos. Ray, shop owner has his finger on the pulse of trails in that area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quite a bit of snow up there but if today's weather holds out it will be rideable by next weekend. Right now it is a mess.

Ray has his pulse on what? Dude hasn't seen a trail since I met him 15 years ago. He will send anybody down that trail with the cash to pay for the shuttle anytime, couldn't give a darn what conditions are or if you get lost or not. I know that pisses a lot of people off but lets not throw around statements that are simply not true.

If you want info from a guy that rides and has actually done all of the trails in the area please call Doug at Taos Cyclery, he will shuttle you if you need and tell you if the trail could use a rest. 575-758-5551.

I don't trade with either shop but thought we should go for truth around here. Anyone that ever needs info or a shuttle can call me or ask here. I am at 575-776-2811. Most of my info is from actually riding up there but sometimes I just look out my window.

mtbr member
    Better planning? Yeah uh? Actually rode SBT in September just want one more crack at it for the year. Just couldn't get enough! The 27th is the only day that would work.

mtbr member
    Better planning? Yeah uh? Actually rode SBT in September just want one more crack at it for the year. Just couldn't get enough! The 27th is the only day that would work.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Anyone that ever needs info can call me or ask here.
    Can I ride my downhill sled on that trail?
    Are Treks good bikes?
    Is my seatpost too high?
    What should I have for breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    sometimes I just look out my window.

I do that a lot too.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    I've done it as late as the first week in December...and for what its worth I'm planning on riding there Nov.1 .,and popping a friends southboundary cherry.Yeah it could dump alot before then but then again my money is on the RIDEABLE side of the equation.

You need to look at the weather forecast. It's expected to get oogly by next weekend.
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 10-25-2009 at 06:56 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kberkle
    Well most of the posts of riding SBT this late in the season are the "exception" not the "rule". Maybe you should have posted that you were an expert on SBT since you rode it less than a month ago. delnorte was only giving you some local advice which is what you asked for. No need to get snarky, dood!

Come on over, but make sure you bring a laptop. You will probably need the likes of delnorte and some of the other more active members here to give you contingencies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Can I ride my downhill sled on that trail?

Of course, there is no climbing on that trail.

Are Treks good bikes?

They are the best! Especially when you throw your leg over one Robert.
    Is my seatpost too high?

Depends how that pole up your butt if riding today.

What should I have for breakfast?

The cool crowd is having oatmeal with toast and homemade plum jam.

Thread Pollution
    [QUOTE=Mtn. Biker123

You will probably need the likes of delnorte and some of the other more active members here to give you contingencies.[/QUOTE]

Me thanks that the more active members are full of themselves.

more active on the computer that is....
    Sooooo,Pffft. Watch the weather as noted above and give Greg a call that sounds like the best idea I read....
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

banned

Your welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    Me thanks that the more active members ....
    me thinks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kberkle
    I'd still keep it on the radar. It might be good and it would be a shame to miss it, if so. If not, make sure to PM me if you care to drive another 1.5 hours south to Santa Fe. You won't be dissappointed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    G de T- Thanks for info. Not being a local ( from alb,) Ray seemed knowledgable to me. Perhaps I was wrong. thanks also for the telephone info line. I've only gotten up there a few times to ride SB. But I plan to do it at least two or three times a year. I've shuttled from the top, but also climbed it a few times from the FR by that huge "covered wagon". I heard Taos Cyclery wasn't doing shuttles anymore.
    Last edited by matamata; 10-26-2009 at 10:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    His knowledge is just second and third hand. He is also in it to make money so info is to be taken with a grain of salt, especially directions.