shred my gnar

taos/angel fire beta...

hello nm'ers... excuse my xpost from your sticky thread but im not getting any bites on that and looking for some info before i take in a couple days (to visit your state!).

ive edited/added-to the prev post but here it is...

hey all... me and some buds are heading to taos/af from flagstaff later this week and am looking for a bit of advice/beta. we are planning on riding south boundary or something similar one day and af for 2 days. any help is appreciated... ive scoured this forum and found some good info but im still left with two questions...

1) how is the camping situation on the carson/santa fe around angel fire and to a lesser extent, taos? is it pretty much find a fs road and camp or is it more limited to developed campsites. im interested in undeveloped, find a good spot in the woods, kinda car camping... near angel fire would be best but dont mind driving a bit to and from in order to get a stellar spot (i.e., kick-ass views). ive spend a fair amount of time on both forests (several weeks each) but i was working and wasnt paying attention to the primitive camping scene.

2) is south boundary the one if you only had a day? im looking for a big pedal with lots of tech... 4-5 hr ride. it doesnt need to be in taos/af necessarily... driving for the goods isnt an issue. are there better techy, big xc loops in los alamos, taos (ski resort/big peaks general area), red river, chama, etc ... maybe some other high elevation/ridgeline stuff other than sbt??? if the sbt is the one, are there any good options rather than the hwy back?

im asking b/c im a bit leary of the out and back nature of sbt with only one vehicle and riding the road back sounds like about the last thing i want to do on a riding mini-vacation.

thanks again for feedback... and of course the obligatory... if you ever make it out to flagstaff/sedona and need a trail guide i will be more than happy to get you to the goods and maybe even do some trail guiding if i can pull it off!

btw... ive been perusing your forum for a couple weeks on and off and i must say you guys have some insanely good photographers on here. between the sunset and trail pic threads i have stolen more than a few mtbnate (and others) pics for screen savers and desktops... props to all!
    Last edited by happy_ending; 08-14-2012 at 07:14 AM.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    ...btw... ive been perusing your forum for a couple weeks on and off and i must say you guys have some insanely good photographers on here. between the sunset and trail pic threads i have stolen more than a few mtbnate (and others) pics for screen savers and desktops... props to all!
    Thanks for the compliments, I just wish my riding skills matched my very limited photo skills...

Hopefully on of the local riders in-the-know will be able to answer your questions soon - since you'll be here in a couple days...
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

shred my gnar
    id say theyre a wee bit better than limited... some have the eye and others dont.

only place ive ridden previously in nm is the albq foothills... saw a couple of great sunsets there myself. tossup b/t tucson and albq for best sunsets... both are great!

hopefully someone chimes in as its my first time recreating in nm and not chasing fires in about 10 years. was on the ponil fire and encebado fires on the carson back in 2002 and 2003 so im pretty fired-up to be in that country for good times rather than work. was considering hitting up pajarito on friday as i havent been back since the cerro grande. vividly remember burning off of the furthest west and south runs in the resort once upon a time.

I <3 NM
    Rides around ABQ:
    N & S Foothills
    Otero/Tunnel
    Cedro Peak
    Greenside of Sandia Mts
    White Mesa
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Check your PMs for camping beta.