Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Talk to me about the South Boundry Trail......

Hi,

I am from Ft. Worth, TX and will be visiting Taos for a few days in mid-June on my way to Colorado.

My family of 4 would like to tackle the South Boundry Trail, but we need to be eficient with our time since we will only be in town for 3 days total and one of those is already dedicated to rafting.

Questions:

Any words of advice from anyone who has ridden it within the last couple years? Mileage, time, what to expect, route finding, etc.

I hear the best way to ride the SBT one way is by taking a shuttle from one of the local bike shops. Has anyone done this, and if so, which shop do you recommend and how does that work?

Thanks in advance for your input / suggestions / help. I first visited Taos in the summer of 1992 as an SMU student through their facility at Fort Burgwin, fell in love with the area, and have been visiting as often as possible ever since.

Stucco Bucket
    you want to shuttle for sure.
    its about 27 miles depending on where you put in. Its mostly fast riding. the little bike shop by the brewery is a good choice. its like $20/head.
    you will ride right back into town
    Quote Originally Posted by ddblu View Post
    Hi,

I am from Ft. Worth, TX and will be visiting Taos for a few days in mid-June on my way to Colorado.

My family of 4 would like to tackle the South Boundry Trail, but we need to be eficient with our time since we will only be in town for 3 days total and one of those is already dedicated to rafting.

Questions:

Any words of advice from anyone who has ridden it within the last couple years? Mileage, time, what to expect, route finding, etc.

I hear the best way to ride the SBT one way is by taking a shuttle from one of the local bike shops. Has anyone done this, and if so, which shop do you recommend and how does that work?

Thanks in advance for your input / suggestions / help. I first visited Taos in the summer of 1992 as an SMU student through their facility at Fort Burgwin, fell in love with the area, and have been visiting as often as possible ever since.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    the little bike shop by the brewery is a good choice. its like $20/head. you will ride right back into town
    Is there still a shop doing shuttles? I had heard they all gave up on it but could be wrong. If you're ready between 8:30 & 9:30am in the morning you might be able to hitch a ride with a downhiller headed to Angel Fire. I've got a six bike rack and usually check the parking lot while headed over the pass to offer a free ride. I don't take people to the normal starting point but if your willing to pedal from the Chuck Wagon or Angel Fire resort it's not out of the way.

mtbr member
    Even though it's a lot of descending, don't be fooled into thinking you won't do some serious climbing and a lot of it. The majority of clock time will be spent cranking up climbs and there are some doosies back there.

I ride with tools
    If you don't know the route, I would advise against riding it without a guide or a solid GPS track. There are a lot of unmarked turns.
    If you know the route well the ride will take about 4 hours if you keep moving quickly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    All good stuff to consider. Thanks guys. The climbing part is fine for 3 out of 4 of us, but it might be a little much for my 10 year old even though he is on a 26" (15.5 frame) Haro and generally rides strong and well. Maybe I will build in an extra day for my older son and I to ride the SBT together and find something involving a little less committment for the four of us to ride together. Just bouncing around on-line, it looks like Rift Valley, Horse Thief, and West Rim trail are all shorter and easier to ride / navigate. Any other suggestions, please let me know. Appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddblu View Post
    All good stuff to consider. Thanks guys. The climbing part is fine for 3 out of 4 of us, but it might be a little much for my 10 year old even though he is on a 26" (15.5 frame) Haro and generally rides strong and well. Maybe I will build in an extra day for my older son and I to ride the SBT together and find something involving a little less committment for the four of us to ride together. Just bouncing around on-line, it looks like Rift Valley, Horse Thief, and West Rim trail are all shorter and easier to ride / navigate. Any other suggestions, please let me know. Appreciate it.
    Yeaa ddblu, Mr. Beam brings up good points. If it works I would meet you up there and show you the South Boundary trail. We could shuttle ourselves and go in at Valle Escondido. This is tracks for that ride which gives you an idea of the track. Bike Ride Profile | Jul 28, 2012 near Taos | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Is there anybody willing to be a guide on Sunday June 9? Have visitors from PHX headed w/ me to Angelfire on Saturday and we are really wanting to hit S. Boundary on Sunday. What does the shuttle situation look like on Sunday?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guvnah View Post
    Is there anybody willing to be a guide on Sunday June 9? Have visitors from PHX headed w/ me to Angelfire on Saturday and we are really wanting to hit S. Boundary on Sunday. What does the shuttle situation look like on Sunday?
    Hey Guvnah, I could get up there and show the South Boundary trail. I would want to do a track similar to the GPS tracks I posted up cause of the shorter shuttle time. Let me know I could meet you up there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Upset

Unless it rains, we might have fire restrictions near the 10th of June. South Boundary would be off limits in that case!

mtbr member
    I'm only seeing stage 1 restrictions up there at the moment. Unless the Carson is skipping stages and going right into stage 3 by June 10, SB should be open. Stage 2 just prohibits motorized off roads (trails still typically open to non-motorized). Of course there are variations so one should contact the district to get info.

"Fred Rider"
    Sep 2011
    Riding strong at Ft Worth altitude and in TAOS area altitude one should always consider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would imagine that Stage II restrictions could come to effect for much of Northern New Mexico very soon without significant rain. That rain doesn't seem imminent, with June being out hottest month, and the summer monsoon season beginning sometime during July, I can see the National Forests going quickly to full closure for a couple of weeks at the very least. That doesn't mean everything would close, however.

Here is the website to up-to-date: Fire Restrictions

Now get out there and ride!!

mtbr member
    Here's The BLM page Fire Restrictions

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RidinLou View Post
    Riding strong at Ft Worth altitude and in TAOS area altitude one should always consider.
    Yes, always a consideration. I've ridden in Moab and above 9,000 feet in CO previously. By my 3rd day in Moab I finally felt that I was getting by lungs back, but have never ridden to my "normal" fitness level in CO before. It's a pretty large adjustment.

mtbr member
    So does anyone have firm info on whether any shops shuttle SBT? Calhoun and I are doing a small group/faster ride this weekend and we want to start on the AF side since we'll be camping on that side for AF. I'm not sure how far my civic can get up FR 76. Any comments on that besides "bring the "wife's" Outback"?
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    So does anyone have firm info on whether any shops shuttle SBT? Calhoun and I are doing a small group/faster ride this weekend and we want to start on the AF side since we'll be camping on that side for AF. I'm not sure how far my civic can get up FR 76. Any comments on that besides "bring the "wife's" Outback"?
    Start at trail 1 on the top of Palo Flechado Pass. It's just as close as the other trailhead to Angel Fire.
    Even if you go to FR 76, just ride in on your bike in from there. I like the South Boundary from trail 1 the best. It's just as long, also. I stopped using FR 76 a long time ago.
    Maybe I'm not understanding you. Do you guys have 2 cars or 1? I bet if Neal is headed to AF Bike Park this weekend, he'd meet you guys at the end of South Boundary and shuttle you to the beginning.

mtbr member
    Elliot Barker huh? So that is over 2000' of climbing and the 76 way is less than half of that since you drive on dirt for 4.4 miles (if you drive to the TH) correct? We want to be strong for Sunday too... Yeah we'll give Neal a call. I tried calling you just now. We'll have two vehicles.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    Elliot Barker huh? So that is over 2000' of climbing and the 76 way is less than half of that since you drive on dirt for 4.4 miles (if you drive to the TH) correct? We want to be strong for Sunday too... Yeah we'll give Neal a call. I tried calling you just now. We'll have two vehicles.
    Sorry but it's Chili Challenge Pro GRT race weekend and we're headed up Friday night for the whole weekend. It might be kinda crowded if you plan to ride AF one of the days. Runs probably won't be crowded since most will be practicing Chillin for the DH race course. They just opened up Angel's Plunge yesterday which is a pretty fun trail if you're willing to make the huff over to that part of the mountain.

I'd suggest SB on Saturday and AF on Sunday because race day is always a lot mellower for the lifts. That and you might want to watch some of the race (it goes through Candy Land this year!).

mtbr member
    That is the plan, thanks Neal.

Campmobiler
    There will be a group of four or eight of us from Medicine Park, OK heading out to ride AF and the SBT in 3 weeks. We will be riding the SBT on Monday 6/24. Any volunteers to shuttle us for $20 a head or for some cold barley pops? The brewery is in Taos? OK...enough planning...

I <3 NM
    Two breweries in the Taos area:

1. Taos Ale House
    2. Taos Mesa Brewing Co
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    My vote goes to Taos Ale House, great beer, atmosphere, and located in town!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtarama View Post
    My vote goes to Taos Ale House, great beer, atmosphere, and located in town!!
    Nice, thanks for the tip. I will hit that up Saturday. They have an IPA?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Sorry but it's Chili Challenge Pro GRT race weekend and we're headed up Friday night for the whole weekend. It might be kinda crowded if you plan to ride AF one of the days. Runs probably won't be crowded since most will be practicing Chillin for the DH race course. They just opened up Angel's Plunge yesterday which is a pretty fun trail if you're willing to make the huff over to that part of the mountain.

I'd suggest SB on Saturday and AF on Sunday because race day is always a lot mellower for the lifts. That and you might want to watch some of the race (it goes through Candy Land this year!).

Thanks Neal, just helped us plan this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast