mtbr member

Suspension fork service in Santa Fe?

Hi,

I need to have my suspension fork serviced. I have had good luck with Push Industries in the past, but would rather get it done locally. Unfortunately, I have had mixed results locally. Any recommendations? Fork is a RockShock SID Team.

High Alpine Adventure
    Hi Lars... Dan Lucero at Bikeworks in ABQ. use to work for Manitou and has pretty extensive experience rebuilding forks. An option for you in SF is to take it in to BTI. I think they only work dealer direct but not sure...

Here's the link to their site.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Genius
    Bike-n-sport
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The people at Bike'n'Sport will change seals, but they told me a guy at BTI will work on the innards. I think they said his name is Matt. I don't know if he only works through the shops or if he'd take on work directly from customers.
    Please let us know what you find out and how the work goes; I'm sure lots of us are interested.

I ride with tools
    A suspension fork is not that complicated, and there is a ton of free information on the web, both from the manufacturer and other sources.

I learned to service both of my forks. It wasn't hard, it was actually kind of fun. One of them is a Fox Talas RC, one of the more complicated systems, but still do-able if you can read a manual and turn a wrench. The best part is, if you keep some extra seals and fork oil on hand, your down time while waiting for your fork to be serviced is (drumroll)....... one hour.

There is no good reason to be dependent on others to maintain a bike. Doing it all yourself is the best way to go, IMO. Totally worth the effort.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    JimBeam: Are you talking about changing seals and wipers or the kind of stuff Push does? I agree that the seals are easy, but rebuilding the talas cartridge requires a special-purpose tool, as I understand it. Or were you able to work on it without the tool?

mtbr member
    Matt at BTI has done a couple great rebuilds on my Rock Shox forks. BTI is a Rock Shox service center. I sent my fork to him through Broken Spoke bike shop in Santa Fe.
    I think you must go through a retailer to get your fork to BTI's Rock Shox service center. The Broken Spoke guys are the best in town, when it comes to good bike service and great attitudes towards their customers.

I ride with tools
    Well, not sure. For sure I did all the seals and wipers regularly. It's been 3 or 4 years now since I had worked on that fork, but as I recall, the Talas cartridge was not something you could mess with, just to be aligned with oil ports in the system. That was the problem with that fork - get it all dialed in and you would have the 100 - 130 - 160mm adjustability for maybe 2 weeks, then the short end would be gone. Certainly, what I did was not what Push does - they can change the diameter of the ports, you and I can't do that. But I never needed any special tool to service it.

Genius
    If we are talking a Talas just send it to Fox and be done with it. It will be gone for a couple weeks but better to do it now in the winter than during the riding season. I do my own standard forks, headshocks and my lefty but I know better then to attempt my Talas.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Agree with del norte, take to Mike at Broken Spoke and then he'll send it to BTI and Matt will repair. Or do it yourself if you are inclined to put in the time.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Chris and TJ! Dylan, our Fox Shock guru, recently attended an extensive Fox service seminar up in Portland OR. and we've been tooling up to be able to take on more of these jobs in house. And of course Matt at BTI always does great work and turns it out quick.

It's amazing how many super expensive forks and shocks out there that are being neglected due to lack of routine maintenance. An annual service of these parts isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things and now just might be the perfect time to do it.

Just sayin... Mike C.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Broken Spoke did a fabulous job on a complete rebuild of my Fox fork.

Just got my bike back and love the feel of the rebuilt fork. It's like new. Thanks Mike and Dylan. No PUSH needed here.

Quote Originally Posted by chapman505 View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Chris and TJ! Dylan, our Fox Shock guru, recently attended an extensive Fox service seminar up in Portland OR. and we've been tooling up to be able to take on more of these jobs in house. And of course Matt at BTI always does great work and turns it out quick.

It's amazing how many super expensive forks and shocks out there that are being neglected due to lack of routine maintenance. An annual service of these parts isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things and now just might be the perfect time to do it.

Just sayin... Mike C.

banned
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Hansen View Post
    Hi,

I need to have my suspension fork serviced. I have had good luck with Push Industries in the past, but would rather get it done locally. Unfortunately, I have had mixed results locally. Any recommendations? Fork is a RockShock SID Team.
    Well, almost every post in this thread is regarding the Fox Talas, for which I have zero experience. However, I do have LOTS of experience with RS stuff. I'm pretty sure I even have a set of Enduro Seals for that fork somewhere. Did PUSH do anything special to the damper? I can take a look at it, if you like. I'm pretty sure Lucero would have little trouble rebuilding a standard RS damper, as well. Otherwise, there are lots of instructions via the web and the SRAM technical specs on their site.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Well, I ended up taking my fork (a high-end RockShock) to The Broken Spoke of Santa Fe. It took them about a week and I could not be happier with the result. What a difference!!! It is like new! So I highly recommend The Broken Spoke. It was a real pleasure talking to the people there too. They know their stuff!