mtbr member

SS gearing for the ABQ foothills area

I'm new to the area and riding a 29er singlespeed. What kind of gearing are people using on the foothills of Albuquerque mountain bike trails?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For the foothills I was running 32x18 when I had my Monocog, but I am a wuss. When I started riding Otero and many other places on the SS I went back to the 32x20 and even then I was still doing the walk of shame a bunch.

It all depends on your fitness/strength level. I think I see a lot of 34x18. The main north foothills loop has less than 1000 feet of climbing in 9 miles or so. You can rack up 2000+ feet of climbing in south foothills if you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I still have not rode my SS in the foothills but Otero i am running 32x21. Seems that every other (about 10 or so) SS riders I talked to were all running 32x20. I could easily see 18-19t cog for even my fitness level in most of the foothill area.

mtbr member
    i'd say leave it they way you have it and if your spinning out or walking change it accordingly.

i run 32 18.. for north and otero

do what you think is right, look to your heart

whats your set up right now?

mtbr member
    Pardon my ignorance - still learning the area. But where is Otero? Is it a destination to access trails, or do you just live there?

mtbr member
    Right now I'm at 33x20. But I'll soon be upgrading my crankset to one that has a 32 so I'm thinking 32x19 for starters.

Genius
    32x18 when I'm sane.... 32x16 when I'm insane.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance - still learning the area. But where is Otero? Is it a destination to access trails, or do you just live there?
    Otero is a trailhead. If you were to go east on 40 out of ABQ to the Tijeras exit then head south on 337 you will find a number of trailheads. First you have Cedro on the east side of the road followed by Tunnel and Otero both west side of the road, then there are more if you keep heading up the hill. The campgrounds, Oak Flats and Marz court finish it off as far as I know, but I'm sure there is much more out there.

For gearing I was running a 32x18 for everything then dropped down to 32x20 and have yet to swap out gearing since. Good to know there are other SS riders out there.

I <3 NM
    I run 32:19

Pretty good ratio for most stuff locally
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    32x20 for foothills works fine for this geezer but breaks my legs on Faulty. For the Sandias, 32x21 is my sanity limit. 32x16 = hardcore hardbody and I don't qualify...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    I set up a website to catalog riding locations in the ABQ area - the Tijeras area has a link to the forest service trail map of that area - it doesn't have all of the trails (e.g. 3 Bottles) but it's a good start.

I don't have enough post to submit a link but here it is anyway:

abqmtb dot wordpress dot com

mtbr member
    I like 32X20 for all occasions. Maybe too big in the back for foothills sometimes but when you hit the climbs, it's nice and I don't worry about it on the downhills......If I was to ride say McGaffey out in Gallup, I'd go with something like a 17-18 in back. I figure it varies depending on the rider though.

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    im runnin a 32x20