Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bon vivant
    Mar 2004

South Boundary next Tue, Wed or Thu?

I'll be in Santa Fe Mon-Fri next week. I hope to ride the Windsor trail on Monday, but I'll hate myself if I don't find a way to get up to Taos for the SB at some point.

Anybody around that might have a free day to show a Texican flatlander a good time up there? Maybe watch me cough up a lung or two?

I'll have wheels, wouldn't mind splitting gas, but it's not a deal-breaker.
    Last edited by truman; 06-20-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Thread Pollution
    you drive and i'll chip in for gas..we can ride a loop or the whole shabang.
    gregdetaos are you free during the week?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone know the trail conditions? Has the area been getting rain?

Jake

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake21
    Anyone know the trail conditions? Has the area been getting rain?

Jake
    that trail,like most in new mexico, recover fast after rains.and bring a rain jacket.

bon vivant
    Mar 2004
    hey Makachut, sounds good. Pm me a contact number - and a pronunciation guide for your name - and I'll give you a holler on Monday afternoon to gel things up. I'll be staying around Cerrillos/Cordoba.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am around, trail is great right now, snowed some last night but will be gone in a few hours. Just makes it tacky. Let me know you plans. We have been hitting the Mondragon loop with a climb to Paradise park, no shuttle and lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Any shuttle people in Taos besides gearing up and Taos Cyclery? Gearing only leaves at 7am, and that is just too early. I remember there was a guy with a white passenger van doing shuttles last year, but I can't find his name/number.

Thanks,
    Jake

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Taos Cyclery does not do shuttles, but is a good place to check and see if anyone happens to be going up. There are some pretty great loops you can do without shuttling, It does cut out some good parts but if you are willing to climb/ride on some road anything is possible.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yes they do, but not on Sunday. The owner will shuttle up to four people.

Jake

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you better check with Doug, he was doing it but I have not seen his vehicle running for a while.

sorry, you are right, leaves at 7am, up to four as you said. Glad to know Doug is doing that again. He is not the best promoter.

If I have time I am normally down for a ride and shuttle help although we are trying to do loops whenever possible to save on gas etc.

I am sure most know their way around, but I have GPS data for most that area.
    Last edited by greg de taos; 06-21-2008 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Normally I would go and hitch to the pass, but there is 7 of us at different levels. I was hoping to get a shuttle to the usual road/trail drop in Angel Fire. Looks like that is not gonna happen. Prolly call Doug the next time when there are fewer.

Thanks,
    Jake

I <3 NM
    there is a guy who posts on the Dallas mtb board who sometime shuttles, he's in Taos:

Bobby Duncan:
    http://www.dorba.org/phpBB/profile.p...profile&u=1698
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    cool. Thanks,

Jake

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    hitting the Mondragon loop with a climb to Paradise park, no shuttle and lots of fun.
    you pick the Mondragon up from that old B&B ,what's it called ,sleepy hollow?do give details on it's starting point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Maka,
    about 1.9 miles past Shady Brook there is a rare turnout on the north side, pull in there, cross the road and look for a little "bridge" crossing the creek, climbs up on an old jeep road to the SBT. When I get to the main trail I like to climb up to Garcia Park and points east then back down to the second entrance to Mondragon off of SBT 4.8 miles towards Taos from where you came up. There are a couple of really sketchy navigation spots, if you have TOPO or something I can send you a map, or better yet let me know when you are coming up.

Thread Pollution
    Maka,
    about 1.9 miles past Shady Brook there is a rare turnout on the north side, pull in there, cross the road and look for a little "bridge" crossing the creek, climbs up on an old jeep road to the SBT. When I get to the main trail I like to climb up to Garcia Park and points east then back down to the second entrance to Mondragon off of SBT 4.8 miles towards Taos from where you came up. There are a couple of really sketchy navigation spots, if you have TOPO or something I can send you a map, or better yet let me know when you are coming up.
    thanks Greg,Thurs.,or wednesday tentative,and definitely on Sunday morning and i'll be riding with a NM legend known to all by the name of the Weasel.

bon vivant
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    there is a guy who posts on the Dallas mtb board who sometime shuttles, he's in Taos:

Bobby Duncan:

I checked in with Bobby D. He's in Cancun for the week.

Who's good for Wednesday, then? I can take two easy, or 3 squeezy.

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by truman
    I checked in with Bobby D. He's in Cancun for the week.

Who's good for Wednesday, then? I can take two easy, or 3 squeezy.
    still interested,meet and greet time?

bon vivant
    Mar 2004
    Beaucoup thanks to Mark & Dom for the guiding. Who needs a steenkin shuttle, anyhow.

Stellar ride with very good company, thanks again.

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by truman
    Beaucoup thanks to Mark & Dom for the guiding. Who needs a steenkin shuttle, anyhow.

Stellar ride with very good company, thanks again.
    great day,I'll show you around Anytime, Dave....Mondragon to sb ,Garcia,Quintana,Castillo,to covered wagon then to truck= great loop.Thanks to Greg we found the trail head to Mondragon and from there all went well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    awesome, glad you guys had fun.

Quick question(s)... I am wondering how you rode Mondragon? Where did you hit SBT? Were you just a few miles below Garcia Park or more like six miles? Right before you go to the main trail did you have go over a series of "whoops" or was it smooth climbing? I have a sign sitting here waiting to be hung up there but I am not sure how people are riding the trail. Did you guys see any wildlife up there. I came around a corner the other day and there was one hell of a big elk in the middle of the road, I had to hit the brakes hard to avoid running into him but he scampered up the hill. Would hate to have a head on with that guy!!
    Last edited by greg de taos; 06-27-2008 at 06:19 AM.

Poser
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate

Bobby Duncan:
    Bobby D moved back to Dallas. He won't be living up there for who knows how long....? He did go to Cancun, that sorry sac...

Thread Pollution
    awesome, glad you guys had fun.

Quick question(s)... I am wondering how you rode Mondragon? Where did you hit SBT? Were you just a few miles below Garcia Park or more like six miles? Right before you go to the main trail did you have go over a series of "whoops" or was it smooth climbing? I have a sign sitting here waiting to be hung up there but I am not sure how people are riding the trail. Did you guys see any wildlife up there. I came around a corner the other day and there was one hell of a big elk in the middle of the road, I had to hit the brakes hard to avoid running into him but he scampered up the hill. Would hate to have a head on with that guy!!
    we hit the Sb below Fernando peak ,so more like six miles from Garcia.I was surprised on the milage you can get from that loop.It would be a great in n out to Elliot B. and Castillo crossing at least a 50.I found a turkey feather and Dominic found a log infested with small ants that were crawling up his leg .We'll be up on Sunday parked at Mondragon trail head earlyish ,if you want to hook up..

Thread Pollution

Flat landers can ride in altitude

&%$

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    &%$
    Few more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast