mtbr member
    Jan 2008

South Boundary...

Hi all...

A few of my friends and I are going to be up in Angel Fire soon and we were hoping to do South Boundary one day. The catch is that two of the four of us are really out of shape and not particularly good on bikes, to put it nicely. The good news is we do have someone who can shuttle us. Is there anyway to access the trail down to Toas from Angel Fire with relitivley little climbing? Recommended routes for us? Should we really even be attempting this with said two slow riders? If not, other recommended rides in the area?

Thanks,
    Joe

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    What kind of rig will your shuttle driver be in? Although most folks ride from the pavement near Black lake, climb the dirt road to where it intersects the singletrack and then climb on up from there, you can drive all the way up to Osha Pass (I think that's the name). It doesn't eliminate all the climbing, but it eliminates the really big climb. Native Sons used to offer that as a more expensive shuttle option, and drive it in their 2WD full-size van. Be advised that from Taos, that's gonna be more than 1.5 hours just to the drop-off, and then the same for your driver to drive back.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rogan2915
    Hi all...

A few of my friends and I are going to be up in Angel Fire soon and we were hoping to do South Boundary one day. The catch is that two of the four of us are really out of shape and not particularly good on bikes, to put it nicely. The good news is we do have someone who can shuttle us. Is there anyway to access the trail down to Toas from Angel Fire with relitivley little climbing? Recommended routes for us? Should we really even be attempting this with said two slow riders? If not, other recommended rides in the area?

Thanks,
    Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The shuttle driver will be in a AWD Ford Escape, not the best off-roader out there but hopefully good enough if it can be done in 2WD vans. The length of the shuttle shouldnt be a problem. We're staying in Angel Fire and I'm sure the driver will be more than happy to spend the day down in Taos shopping while we ride.

I guess I'll try to get a good map/directions from the Chili Pepper bike shop in Angel Fire because I don't think we'll make it to Taos before the ride.

Thanks for your help!

-Joe

Bandolero

Fwd

Quote Originally Posted by rogan2915
    The shuttle driver will be in a AWD Ford Escape, not the best off-roader out there but hopefully good enough if it can be done in 2WD vans.
    That climb's been done in this beast:

You won't have fat-ass hanging off the back, so I'm sure your Escape can make it up the hill.

Every time I see that pic, I think of Baghdad Bob:
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

banned
    I hate that pic...

I really should have shaved

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    pretty muddy in spots up there (has rained every day for most of the last week) right now, would hate to get stuck, I know the local tow guys hate going up there.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.