Bandolero

South 14 area closed

Crap. This came out pretty quickly.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/cibola/news/...5_061608.shtml

Cedro/Tunnel/Otero/David Canyon, etc. closed until we get some rain.

North 14 is open so far.

NM is weird. I don't think the Santa Fe is even under Stage I restrictions.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Crap. This came out pretty quickly.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/cibola/news/...5_061608.shtml

Cedro/Tunnel/Otero/David Canyon, etc. closed until we get some rain.

North 14 is open so far.

NM is weird. I don't think the Santa Fe is even under Stage I restrictions.
    Tough times. The south is burning, and we don't even have any trees.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    That's to bad since I was planning on Tunnel/Otero tomorrow afternoon. I did get to ride White Mesa this morning and it was perfect as usual, but very hot.
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yup. Sure was surprised to see the tape and signs at Tunnel/Otero today. I thought I was going to get lucky at Cedro when there was no signage at the turn-off, but every trailhead is roped and signed except the campground.

No closures in the Sandias, but the smell of smoke was apparent driving the Crest road. I couldn't smell it riding up and down the ski area, but it was pretty strong down lower on the road. Saw the sheriff and a state trooper near the ski area, but no signs of trouble.

Need a fingers-crossed icon.

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by shile
    That's to bad since I was planning on Tunnel/Otero tomorrow afternoon. I did get to ride White Mesa this morning and it was perfect as usual, but very hot.
    We rode WM today as well, got there about 1100 and rode till 1300, and it was damn hot. The only reason we went there was due to Otero being closed. I knew it was coming, but was hoping for rain to keep it open.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

Victim of Saddle Rage

What LC Dave meant to say

What LCDave meant to say was come on down to Las Cruces. All trails are open and the weather is fantastic! Anyone up for a midday ride?

-- Thanks for posting the trail closures. I was hoping to come up and ride Cedro this weekend. --

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelerfreak
    We rode WM today as well, got there about 1100 and rode till 1300, and it was damn hot. The only reason we went there was due to Otero being closed. I knew it was coming, but was hoping for rain to keep it open.
    White F150? If so, those rims look good with the white paint.

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by shile
    White F150? If so, those rims look good with the white paint.
    Yeah, that was us. I was actually surprised to see any one else there at that time on a weekday You were in the 4runner right?
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

mtbr member
    What a shame. Is that in Soledad Canyon? It's gonna take a century to recover.
    there can be only one... track

Victim of Saddle Rage
    The fire was 1800 acres involving soledad, bar, and dripping springs canyons. Sadly, the cause was human. However it was a fast burning grass and bush fire and some pinions and junipers survived, but I am concerned about erosion in the coming monsoon and the long term damage to a very sensitive ecosystem. Hopefully I can hike it this weekend and see the damage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    From the New Mexico Fire Information website:
    (http://www.nmfireinfo.com/)

Dripping Springs Fire East of Las Cruces, NM
    The Dripping Springs Fire, about 1,700 acres in size (size change due to more accurate mapping) and 40 percent contained, started on Saturday, June 14, at about 5 p.m. Today's fire activity was on the southeast side of the fire. The fire is burning in grass and brush in steep and rocky terrain, 7 miles east of Las Cruces, New Mexico on the Organ Mountains near the Dripping Spring Recreational Area and Soledad Canyon Road. The fire is burning on public lands administered by the BLMs Las Cruces District Office and also on Fort Bliss, US Army. There is on-going communication between the BLMs Las Cruces District Office and Fort Bliss; a mutual agreement is in place between the two agencies to suppress the fire. A Type III fire organization is managing the fire with the help of the following suppression resources: Type I crews, engines, and miscellaneous overhead. Aerial resources made good progress on the southeast corner in the steep, rugged terrain to help the firefighters. The objective for the handcrews tomorrow is to work in the area where the aerial resources were operating today to start mop-up operations. Due to historical weather conditions, triple-digit temperatures and extremely low relative humidity [in the single digits], fire activity may heat up. Smoke columns may be observed throughout the day. The Dripping Springs Recreation Site/Visitor Center and Soledad Canyon/Baylor Trails are closed to the public to allow fire fighters to extinguish the fire and also for public safety. The area is in Stage 1 fire restrictions - Fire Managers are asking recreationalists to be cautious of their surroundings when on public lands. For more information on area fire restrictions or the fire itself, please contact Jennifer Myslivy, Fire Information Officer at (505) 670-4829. Resources # Handcrews 4 Engines 3 Helicopters 3 Dozer 1 Misc Overhead 15 Total 119 Tuesday, 06-17-08, 07:56PM

mtbr member
    It was really nice back there.
    there can be only one... track

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelerfreak
    Yeah, that was us. I was actually surprised to see any one else there at that time on a weekday You were in the 4runner right?
    Yup, silver 4Runner. I finished up a little after noon. Technically since I didn't see you or anyone else on the trail, I had the whole place to myself. I did stop at the bigger of the two sink holes and looked at the walls for awhile and tried to figure out if I could climb out if I fell in. It'd be tough, but the stinky water would be an excellent motivator.

mtbr member
    rain's-a-comin'...... finally

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    pouring up here I hope you guys are getting some too. greg