Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

some prick from a bike shop

What a dick.... dont tell me what to do

how to get great service at the bike shop

how to get great service at the bike shop (your local bike shop)

I work in a busy shop in 'burque, and we deal with a big chunk of the biking public
    here . I won't say who I work for because I'm not speaking for my employer. This
    is just a little advice to bike owners from a mechanic. I offer it in the hope that we
    might both have a better business experience.

1. BRING YOUR BIKE/RIDER. If you do this, no one has to play 20 questions and
    guess what's wrong with the bike, or how much it will cost to fix, or whether this
    or that gadget or accessory will fit. If you think it's a pain in the ass to bring your
    bike or rider imagine what a pain in the ass it will be to come back in a day or two
    and wait in line to return a part or bike that didn't fit. Happens EVERY DAY at the
    shop I work at.

2. PICK A REASONABLE TIME/TIMEFRAME. If you want on-the-spot repairs, don't
    pick 5 o'clock on a Friday to come to the bike shop. A whole lot of people get off
    work between about 5 and 6, and that makes a bike shop a pretty busy place at
    that hour. You will probably have to wait in line, and you probably will have to
    leave your bike at least overnight, perhaps for days or weeks depending on what's
    needed. If you don't have time for that, I'm sorry, but that's not my fault. A bike
    shop that never has a line at the cash register and always has time to fiddle with
    whatever horrorshow bike you bring in is a shop that isn't doing much business. If
    nobody else is doing business with them, there might be a reason why. Good
    service usually comes with a waiting list because lots of people like good service.

3. UNDRESS AND BATHE YOUR BIKE! If your bike is encrusted with commuter
    accessories like panniers, underseat bags, pumps, lights, bells, whistles, horns,
    dildoes (dildos? Sex toy spelling isn't my strong suit; I'm a mechanic), it's harder
    to put your bike on a workstand and harder to tune or repair. If your bike is
    encrusted with road gunk, it's ALSO harder to tune or repair. A clean, or at least
    cleanISH bike is a joy to work on and likely to recieve a lot more love and attention
    from a mechanic than a rolling greaseball.

4. BE REACHABLE BY PHONE DURING BUSINESS HOURS. The best way to get
    your bike back ASAP is to be available to answer questions and authorize parts
    purchases. If you leave me a message line, I'll leave a message, but do nothing
    more to your bike until I hear from you and move on to another bike.

5. IF THERE'S A LINE, WAIT PATIENTLY OR LEAVE. Don't wait impatiently and
    then act like a dick when you get to the front of the line if you want the best
    possible service. I hate lines, too. I'm sorry you had to wait in one, but it's not my
    fault that there are more of you than us. If something you paid for isn't working
    out, I'm sorry, but I'm just a guy trying to make a living here. I don't own the joint.
    If you're a jerk, I'll be courteous to you, but do no more for you than I have to. If
    you're patient and friendly I'll go out of my way to take care of you any way I can.

We have some really great regular customers whom we know by name and bike.
    They do the stuff I'm telling you about, and we remember them and show our
    gratitude by giving their bikes a little extra care, maybe slipping in a new cable or
    some other small part that needs replacing without charging for it. For those of
    you who are always looking to get a discount on parts and service, this is how it's
    done. Just be nice and easy to do business with and we'll take care of you.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posting ID: 3831227335 Posted: 2013-05-26, 7:53PM MDT email to a friend

Please report suspected exploitation of minors to the appropriate authorities

CL > albuquerque > all personals > rants & raves

FORMAT: mobile regular

© 2013 craigslist help terms privacy safety feedback about cl
    jobs

Reply bkfrh-3831227335@pers.craigslist.org flag
    [?]
    : miscategorized prohibited spam best of Posted: 2013-05-

26,7:53PM MDT

mtbr member

some prick from a bike shop

That's pretty much how it works dude. I agree with him.

mtbr member
    Dont make me clean my bike thats ********.. . Ill sweep the floor after its in the stan but i wont wash my bike

Its alot like good sex. If i have an epic ride and my bike gets dirty I like to leave the dust and mud on there a while. Same way i like to smell my dick a couple days after an all night romp.

Am I being unreasonable? Dont make me wash my bike just to fix it for me thats ********

Stucco Bucket
    Im seeing this bike shop in my head.. and maybe even the mechanic

mtbr member

Re: some prick from a bike shop

Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Dont make me clean my bike thats ********.. . Ill sweep the floor after its in the stan but i wont wash my bike

Its alot like good sex. If i have an epic ride and my bike gets dirty I like to leave the dust and mud on there a while. Same way i like to smell my dick a couple days after an all night romp.

Am I being unreasonable? Dont make me wash my bike just to fix it for me thats ********
    This guy knows what's up

mtbr member

A "couple of days"? Wow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    A "couple of days"? Wow
    Fugs is a married man, may be a while before he gets some action again.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    We're talking bikes, not Space Shuttles. I'm just saying...

mtbr member
    I mean doesn't anyone clean up anything before service?? I clean my saws before they go in for tune ups. sure I don't have to do this.. but the shop I deal with will throw my saw to the front of the line and do quick stuff while I wait. I think it's just being nice. If you are gonna get a fork swapped you don't need to clean the whole bike.. just a quick wipe down on the front end is pretty nice. If you are gonna get your BB cleaned and lubed I would say it's nice to clean it.

Is it required? No.. but it's a nice gesture.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm a plumber and I am called at times to repair peoples toilet. I feel for ya.. Enough said by me..
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Damn, 2days!?!? I shower at least 2x/day

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrungLam View Post
    Damn, 2days!?!? I shower at least 2x/day
    He washes around it..
    lean forward

mtbr member
    May 2013

One way to avoid all this.
    1.Fix your own bike!
    2.Buy your own tools and save from costly bike shop repair jobs...the tools needed don't cost much and once your learn how to dial your own bike in it will run better than any bike shop mechanic could ever tune it.

Unpredictable
    It's about being reasonable. If you do take in a dirty bike (and it may be better in some situations to be dirty and dry, than wet and grimy), then you should be expecting to pay for the cleaning time, if the shop cleans it for you. I doubt whether it's a really big deal to a mechanic getting a dirty bike booked in for a full service with pick-up in a week: it's all coming apart and being cleaned anyway. To me it seems obvious that you should appreciate what your shop does for you. There are usually other shops if you don't.

If you want the quickest service, then you better be able to do your own repairs! If you want good service at a shop, then you should deal with the staff in a courteous way. If you get courteous, personal and fast service, then you are in the right shop and happy and lucky, like the owner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When one brings in a piece of equipment for service or repair its best to help make the job a success. One can only control what they can..like a clean piece to work on. Why give something respect when no body else cares?

I have been in many houses that upon inspection one can see no repair person has given the house due respect. If the first repair person does a bad job it is more likely that others will also.

Point is bring in a piece of equipment that has been given some respect and it is more likely to be repaired with due respect.
    lean forward

EDR

Avoid the lbs. This solves both the op's complaints and the customers. Why is it bike shops seem to give the impression to folks that they are doing a customer a favor by working on their bike? They are getting paid and in this day and age should be bending over backwards for the opportunity to take in money. It must be an industry niche thing and might be the same with motos or ski shops...idk. Probably any place where high dollar equipment is mostly serviced and staffed by very young people. The problem is most shop owners understand this but the 20 something year olds manning the shop have no vested interest or the maturity to get this....and I guess I can't blame them. For most bike shop owners it's a labor of love not a way to get rich. For many bike shop employees, it's just a low paying job with some perks to help fuel their hobby.

Would I take in a mud covered bike? No of course not. I also wouldn't take my lawn mower to be serviced with 4 inches of concrete-like grass plastered to the underside of it. Common sense and common courtesy go a long way to proper service. So I guess in that respect I agree with most who have posted.

saddlemeat
    You shouldn't be riding in the mud, is the solution to that. I wouldn't personally turn my bike over to anyone to work on, let alone a kid at a local bike shop. Your bike will never work well unless you service and tune it yourself.
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

banned
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    You shouldn't be riding in the mud, is the solution to that. I wouldn't personally turn my bike over to anyone to work on, let alone a kid at a local bike shop. Your bike will never work well unless you service and tune it yourself.
    One of the best times that my son has ever had on a bike was riding in the mud with you.

He still talks about to this day...

Oh, and +1. I do my own repairs when I can. Building wheels is about the only thing I have not learned how to do, myself.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by master_bater View Post
    One of the best times that my son has ever had on a bike was riding in the mud with you.

He still talks about to this day...

Oh, and +1. I do my own repairs when I can. Building wheels is about the only thing I have not learned how to do, myself.
    Ha!!!... that's how I learned, probably had to replace my entire drive train, BB, and pedals.

It takes MInimal skills to maintain a rigid ss, tire pump and a can of oil, just sayin'.
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

banned
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Ha!!!... that's how I learned, probably had to replace my entire drive train, BB, and pedals.

It takes MInimal skills to maintain a rigid ss, tire pump and a can of oil, just sayin'.
    My son relies on the best "tool" in the toolbox.

Dear Old Dad.

mtbr member
    Many years ago I was a wrench at a few General Motors dealerships and I was happy to have the work. I didn't care if there was a used diaper under the seat of the minivan (it happens) as long as I could flag the hours for replacing the window motor or whatever. And I didn't do work of varying quality depending on how I felt about the customer. I wasn't doing a favor, I was doing a job. It's called being professional.
    The nameless bike shop wrench seems to suggest he's going to do schlock work if Fuglio brings in his spooge encrusted ride. I'm thinking he should be working at Wal-Mart putting together tricycles.
    It is a privileged to work on someones bike, car, kitchen, kidney, etc. They are paying you and let's face it, it's a bike. You could fix it yourself... OK, except I can't build a wheel to save my life, but other than that, how hard is it?
    The arrogant, self-inflated windbag needs a dose of reality, like, hey, you're never going to buy a house with the money you make wrenching on bikes. You'd better be going to school for some other skills... or be really good at the all night romp thing... but shower afterwards, please.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    but shower afterwards, please.
    Or at least before you start wrenching on my bike

RCC
    Bandolero

It should have a #6
    6. Don't pick on the mechanic,cus real friends don't pick on each other
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    It should have a #6
    6. Don't pick on the mechanic,cus real friends don't pick on each other

I thougt we were friends, and friends dont call eachother names

Genius
    My bikes get washed if it happens to rain while I am riding. I still have white mesa mud from a couple years ago one ride. That mud is like concrete once it dries.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast