on the flats
    Feb 2011

Some A Hole punched a hole in my gas tank!

Hey guys I was parked in the pine Flats lot today (silver 4runner) and some low life punched a hole in my gas tank and drained 21 gallons of fuel (I just filled up). I was lucky my dad was close to tow me back to town. Just wanted to spread the word to keep an eye out for suspicious folks lurking around the lots!

I hope I can use a plastic gas tank repair kit to fix my tank. I am going to be coin some research to find out how to do this without buying a $500 replacement.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

mtbr member
    Sorry - that sucks. I was up there last weekend with the family and there were some shady looking folks just hanging out in their car. Will keep an eye out.

mtbr member
    wow, that is a bummer.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Chamois Dropper
    That blows. Maybe pound it flat then use a sealant?
    Gas Tank Sealer Kit For Cars - Fuel Tank Sealer - Auto Fuel Tanks - Eastwood
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I caught a guy a few weeks ago stealing gas from a vehicle at coyote trailhead. I called the cops with lic number but not sure he was caught. It was plain to see he would have caused hundreds of dollars damage to get a few bucks worth of gas. I'll bet it was the same guy.

mtbr member
    Auto zone home depot and lowes sell metal filler that's safe for fuel.

Permatex/3 1/2 oz. tube liquid metal filler (25909) | Repair and Epoxy | AutoZone.com

RCC
    Bandolero

Wow,that sucks!

Thanks for the info thou.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    I'll report these incidents to our law enforcement and the local sheriff to keep an eye out.

mtbr member
    This is crazy and what happens when gas prices are almost as high as bottled water. Hope you get it fixed and they catch the scumbags.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    Thanks guys, As my tank is plastic i think i can fix the hole without having to buy a new tank! Thanks for the suggestions! I do plan on filing a report with the sheriffs office. Not sure what good it will do \, hopefully the sheriff can patrol the parking lots on a regular basis. But definitely spread the word and keep an eye out.

Maybe ill start riding my bike from Abq when i go up there or at least park at the ranger station on s14.

I <3 NM
    Is Pine Flats off the beaten path? In terms of there not being much vehicle traffic thru the lot I mean.

I've been thinking about ordering a bolt-on fuel tank skid plate and just might go ahead and get on. Sure would suck to be stranded in the middle of nowhere.
    Last edited by MTBNate; 09-23-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    I do plan on filing a report with the sheriffs office. Not sure what good it will do \, hopefully the sheriff can patrol the parking lots on a regular basis. But definitely spread the word and keep an eye out.
    I did see an officer driving thru oak flats two weeks ago so they do get out there. How often is an unknown but he did not spend much time there.

Sorry to hear about the tank. Hopefully it can be repaired easily.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    I caught a guy a few weeks ago stealing gas from a vehicle at coyote trailhead. I called the cops with lic number but not sure he was caught. It was plain to see he would have caused hundreds of dollars damage to get a few bucks worth of gas. I'll bet it was the same guy.
    What sort of vehicle was he driving?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    Is Pine Flats off the beaten path? In terms of there not being much vehicle traffic thru the lot I mean.

I've been thinking about ordering a bolt-on fuel tank skid plate and just might go ahead and get on. Sure would suck to be stranded in the middle of nowhere.
    I had this happen to me when I was in college and went on a 3 day backpacking trip in West Virginia. I bought a full cover skid plate for my wrangler I had at the time to stop it from happening again. Stealing gas is low. Stealing gas by destroying a gas tank and leaving someone stranded in the wilderness is horrible. They should castrate these types of people!
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post

Pine Flats is an open area just off the road, not flat but not lung busting steep, kinda tucked in there but fun as heck to ride! There were about 7-10 other cars in the lot when I got there and 4 were cars with multiple attachments for bikes. So not super busy (like tunnel was that day) but more and more people are learning about the kick ass fast flowy trails! In my opinion the best 1 mile single track section in tijeras lies in pine flats!

I will definitely be making some modifications to my skid plate so this can be avoided!

mtbr member
    Sounds like there have been previous reports of a silver Chevy truck with NM plates as a possible suspect in the gas robbing. Be on the lookout!

mtbr member
    We need more cars with alarms like James Bond's. Goto 6:13

For Your Eyes Only - White Lotus Turbo Esprit - YouTube

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    Ok, I fixed my tank! Total loss was $265! $125 for tank, $70 fuel lost, 70 to fill the tank again! If anyone catches this dude hold him down so I can take a few shots or $265
    Back to bikes now!!!
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

mtbr member
    Dude you can't count the 70 dollars twice

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    I guess u r right, I still had to take out $200 from the cx bike fund. That didn't make me happy
    Last edited by ridefast84; 09-30-2012 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Who ever is doing must think its only old people and teenie boppers on dates that park at trail heads. Dude is in for a serious ass whooping if one of us catches him. I'll make sure he's left ****ing stranded.

mtbr member
    Haven't lost any fuel I'm aware of, if it were me I'd leave a 'landmine' can if fuel for the person(s); gallon of gas with about a half-cup of silica stirred in will destroy a fuel filter pretty quick - that or anything that'd cause detonation / plug fouling.

I lost an entire Yakima rack to a guy and a pair of heavy-duty snips, though, I found out who it was and got it back.