Thread: Socorro Trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Socorro Trails

Hey y'all - I have a free day from work, school and the kiddo tomorrow. Thought I'd head down to Socorro and see what there is to ride. I heard the Cerrillos course is pretty fun but a bit isolated for a solo adventure. I'm also considering doing the Escondida bridge ride and the Barite Canyon ride.

Any other ideas for a 4-5 hour solo jaunt? If so, the more detailed info the better.

I called Spoke N Word in Socorro looking for a Socorro specific trail guis and they said one does not exist. Any good published trial guides for Socorro?

Thanks in advance.

cantankerous crank
    Jun 2008
    There is an online trail guide:
    http://www.socorro.com/fattire/trails.html

(the printed guide is way out of print, but had the same trails)

Have fun, we did the Barite mine/Box Canyon loop as an appendage to the Cerrillos race course a few weeks ago, and if you are solo you may have some fun getting your bike down the waterfalls!

I wish the chupadera summit ride was in the book, PM and I'll try to make up some directions that won't get you lost. If you want a ride that more in the mountains, out of the wind and heat, you could just hit Trail 11 in the Magdalenas.

If you want a partner, you can try the local forum:
    http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~offroad/phpBB2/index.php?c=6

But, like me, I'll bet everybody has to work today.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ride in the Magdalenas if you want a solo adventure. Take the Lagmire road to the top, and right on the sattle is the start of some wild trails. But be warned, its pretty "gnasty" stuff!!
    "Show em how we do it in the 505, show up late and leave early!" -Pete

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the info guys. I did some of the Cerrillos de Coyote race course today. Did some backtracking through there as I could never find the full 8 mile loop.

Will try the Magdalenas when I have more time and a partner or two.