banned

So, who's up for CDT? [mini ride report]

Could not ask much more of the forcast

I think I will be rolling out of Abq at 4pm, but could make other arrangements if someone wants to carpool. My plan is to help Doug scouting the blowdown and head back Saturday. I may be tempted to stay for the Sunday ride to Flat Mtn though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 09-07-2008 at 11:23 PM.

banned

For the record, CDT can be negotiated!

But its not without it compromises I will let Doug give the full report, but here are a few pix and nuggets of info from the weekend.

Saturday we cleared about 4 miles of trail until it just stopped in a little meadow. Doug and the others weren't feelin' it so I continued and slugged my way up the steep drainage to the blowdown. It was hell!

...and some things we just left to nature...yuk!

Timber Co.

Sunday we approached the CDT from above. Caught the 736 trail and intersected 813 just above the Wilderness. I never saw any signs designating Wilderness, I am just assuming that. Of course we ran into the big snag, but luckily I had scouted the thing the day before so we were good to go! The whole loop was about 20 miles of the most scenic, epic ST that I have ever been blessed to ride. We have plans to cut in the 1.5 miles around the treefall next spring.

Note: They are lumbering the treefall, so it won't be long before we can reroute threw the worst of it. The rest of the trail just needs some reclamation and traffic so put it on ya'lls must ride list for next year

mtbr member
    That trails looks absolutely stunning. Great photos. Even the one of the dead cow.

I applaud all the work you guys did. How much more time to clear through the remainder? Looking forward to Doug's post....
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Hey! I got the shock pump, thanks.

With a good 10-15 man crew we could knock it out in a weekend. Cutting in new trails up there is easy. Its mostly just top soil. You need to get up there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Looks great Brain, sorry I couldn't make it this weekend, I am still sick and haven't been on the bike since I rode up here with you guys, but I cant wait to get out there. Before you know it, we are going to have a trail system as nice and as organized as the ones up north. Thanks for all of your hard work.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

crap magnet

Wow!

Looks like an area worth re-claiming. If I can arrange it around work you can count me in for some trailwork next spring. The more advance notice the better. Thanks to all for your efforts.

And cow $h!t is bad enough but that's too much! Hopefully the coyotes will make short work of it.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice pics B.

That dude with the saw looks evil.
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

banned
    Here's a few more notable images:

Did I mention Ken rocked the SS rigid 29'er

Some of the trees were 18" in diameter

More flowy ST

...and scenic views

Picture of the meadow where the trail start to die

You ride the ridge for about 6 miles with deep valleys to the left and to the right

BIG carnes

The scree fields were amazing

Vistas

...and the 6 miles is almost all down hill

with crazy SB's

Bandolero

partly cloudy

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    But its not without it compromises I will let Doug give the full report, but here are a few pix and nuggets of info from the weekend.

Saturday we cleared about 4 miles of trail until it just stopped in a little meadow. Doug and the others weren't feelin' it so I continued and slugged my way up the steep drainage to the blowdown. It was hell!
    Nice pics. Looks like this ride was better than the last one you took up there.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

banned
    Yes it was. I think Jose and Paul must be very irritated right about now.

mtbr member

Great Pics

Looks like another great time.
    Whats up for tonights ride?

banned
    Don't know if I can get out in the late afternoon. If I ride, it will probably be early afternoon.

Single Speed Junkie
    Found some good beta on some CO trails and have a source for maps. Was thinking of heading up this weekend or next and potentially extending the stay into Monday or Tuesday.

RCC
    Bandolero
    Nice pictures Bryan! ...awesome job on the trail clearing to all of you guys
    RCC
    Last edited by RCC; 09-10-2008 at 08:19 AM.
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

High Alpine Adventure
    Plenty more to do Ramon... Next summer when it finally melts out, we'll get up there and get after it. By next fall we'll have a full trail to ride. I'm pretty confident in that.

I ain't letting that trail just slip away...definitely a "Goat on a Mission" now!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Plenty more to do Ramon... Next summer when it finally melts out, we'll get up there and get after it. By next fall we'll have a full trail to ride. I'm pretty confident in that.

I ain't letting that trail just slip away...definitely a "Goat on a Mission" now!!!
    Cool!..next summer I'll be game for a work session or two...hopefuly I can work on building my stamina too in the mean while ...again kudos on the work to you all
    Ramon.
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...