Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

So, when/what are we riding in Taos next week?

TJ's bud from Bama is coming to town and I know he's got some pretty big rides lined up. I'm interested in the Taos ride for sure. I think that it should be one of the first rides as I'm pretty sure that it will be the biggest. notaknob has expressed an interest. Anyone else?

GDT...we will need your navigational skills for this. When is the best day for you?

mtbr member
    We already have it laid out, homie. Didn't you get the email? Sunday is lift-served at Angel Fire and Monday is South Boundary or a big loop from Angel Fire. We can switch days for these 2 rides if need be.
    Friday and Saturday we're riding closer to Santa Fe. I have to, because my sister's birthday is Saturday.
    GdT should hook upwith us for the Taos/AF days, though.

banned
    The route I had hoped to do is one that we attempted last year, but got sidelined due to a broken crank arm. The will require some planning and probably shouldn't be attempted without some local knowledge. I'm just trying to clue in GDT of our plans.

Lets Ride! I'll probably see you tonite Tj.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    The route I had hoped to do is one that we attempted last year, but got sidelined due to a broken crank arm. The will require some planning and probably shouldn't be attempted without some local knowledge. I'm just trying to clue in GDT of our plans.

Lets Ride! I'll probably see you tonite Tj.
    That sounds better than South Boundary. I'm kind tired of it and have enjoyed any different trails I've ridden in the area as much/more than SB. I'm definitely interested in something else. Can you clue me in? You bringing a map w/ you that you can show me?
    There was a spectacular loop out of Angel Fire I did with the Bike-N-Sport crew way back in the day. I wish I could remeber it but we had to do so much back-tracking and route-finding, that I'd never remember the route.
    Can't wait to see what this ride might be.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    That sounds better than South Boundary. I'm kind tired of it and have enjoyed any different trails I've ridden in the area as much/more than SB. I'm definitely interested in something else. Can you clue me in? You bringing a map w/ you that you can show me?
    There was a spectacular loop out of Angel Fire I did with the Bike-N-Sport crew way back in the day. I wish I could remeber it but we had to do so much back-tracking and route-finding, that I'd never remember the route.
    Can't wait to see what this ride might be.

I'm sure GDT has some data. I'm not sure if he's completed the loop. The route takes you up TSV and traverses a ridge on the front side of wheeler. Then we drop down to Bull of the Woods and climb back out to Gold Hill. From here we still have to ascend to just above Goose Lake and thats where the fun starts! There is about a 7.5-8 mile DH down into Red River that is crazy fun! This is where we ended the ride last year and if we could arrange a vehicle in RR, I would be willing to do this portion of the ride at the very least. However, our initial plan was to ascend back up to Lost Lake and back into TSV. Thats it in a nutshell

mtbr member
    That sounds good! I've always wanted to check out the area back near Gold Hill. Start gathering the data. That should be awesome.

banned
    As greg has already alluded to, it's roughly 8000' of climbing.

I <3 NM
    Y'all sure know how to initiate flat landers, dontcha?!

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

banned
    where the heck is greg?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am down, Sunday is better, scouted some today.

banned
    I'll talk to Tj tonight, but that might work.

Bandolero
    Hey Brian, are you going to do all 4 days? Then we will have fun and suffer together, definately bring some of Bruce's excellent home brew. I've never done south boundary and I might have an event there next sat it would be cool to learn it.

banned
    After talking with Tj, I think we're going to do the abbreviated version of this ride again...gregg. Can we arrange a shuttle in Red River for a ride back to TSV?

mtbr member
    I've got the GPS track from last year's ride if you need it. Obviously that does Bryan no good since he refuses to get a GPS, but if someone else is carrying one...might come in handy...especially if Greg isn't around to lead this expedition.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    I've got the GPS track from last year's ride if you need it. Obviously that does Bryan no good since he refuses to get a GPS, but if someone else is carrying one...might come in handy...especially if Greg isn't around to lead this expedition.
    Why don't you tag along for one of the days. We're doing shuttles on REM Saturday.

mtbr member
    Why don't you tag along for one of the days. We're doing shuttles on REM Saturday.
    Thanks for the invite...but my shoulder still isn't back to normal. I'm still struggling with jarring motions...the exact kind you get on those rocky areas of REM. Hurts so bad it makes me want to cry...and since I'm a sissy, I think I probably do cry a little.

I'm pretty much road riding and taking a pass on this MTB season. I'm hoping I'll be normal next season.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    So what's the plan?

Bandolero
    So what's the plan?
    Hey notaknob where are you, where going to need you and your brew for this one

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey all,
    Weather looks sorta crappy right now for Sunday, something about a hurricane heading this way so I am thinking we do a SBT variation, instead of the high country. Up Mondragon to SBT to Jaracita and all the way down? Sound ok? I am open to suggestions but I love that route. Cant wait to ride with you guys.

banned
    Yeah, I'm not liking the weather at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am hoping that it will be like the last week, sunny and hot in the morning with very mellow rain storms in the afternoon. We have had very little lightning. We had better push for an early start though.

banned
    I think we're camping somewhere close to Taos so an early start shouldn't be a problem. Do you have an insiders scoop in the camping logistics?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There are the campgrounds up Taos Canyon, they are ok. I like the one called La Sombra right before Shady Brook, off the highway a bit and it has a pump for water. We normally camp in Garcia Park, very nice no amenities and the bears are really out in force right now but as far as I can tell looking for berries not bikers. How many coming? What are you camping in?
    I can handle a few folks up here on couches/ pitched tents trucks etc. Just let me know how I can help.
    Just FYI when we were up at Lost Lake three days ago, it was in the 20's at 8am, bring your warmies!

banned
    Garcia CG sounds good. We can roll out of there in the morning for the ride, correct? We also plan on riding the lifts in AF on Monday so that would put us in close proximity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Garcia Park is not a campground just a meadow up FR 437. You have been there before, probably just not recognized it as a place to camp. It is right on the SBT about 7 miles from the covered wagon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast