Is the bike OK?

Snowmass Racing with Lance Armstrong

My family and my in-laws had a blast at the Snowmass "Blast The Mass" mountain states race this past weekend. My winning streak is now over after finishing 4th, just 0.5 seconds behind 2nd and 3rd (the close time hurt but 4th place meant getting home before midnight on Sunday). I kinda took it easy with my leg injury and leaky fork but that's enough excuses. My son, Ben, had the fastest time out of a big Los Alamos DH showing and even beat me by nearly two seconds. I wasn't expecting that for another year or so but am a very proud dad .

One big and unexpected bonus to the race was Lance Armstrong racing the XC event on Saturday. He smoked the local mountain biking Pros and we got to watch him start and come through his second lap right in front of our hotel room.

I took a few pictures. If Lance is all that got your attention to this "DH" post just scroll down to the end and no, I won't be offended.

Twin Lakes just before the trek up Independence Pass:
    BlastMass01_TwinLakes.JPG

Top of Independence Pass:
    BlastMass02_IndependecePass.JPG

Chris Boice 4x:
    BlastMass03_Boice4x.JPG

4x:
    BlastMass04_4x.JPG

4x:
    BlastMass05_4x.JPG

4x Course from the lift on Sunday:
    BlastMass05_4xCourse.JPG

The Los Alamos portion of the Bikeworks Team, top of DH course:
    BlastMass07_LABikeworks.JPG

Upper DH course, very fast, loose, and off-camber:
    BlastMass08_DHCourse.JPG

First tree section of DH course, no rain over the weekend
    BlastMass09_DHCourse.JPG

DH course, Ramp Jump to flat
    BlastMass10_DHCourse.JPG

More to come...
    Last edited by nealpederson; 08-10-2009 at 10:24 PM.

Is the bike OK?

More Pictures

Los Alamos Tie Brooks, beat his 1-year older brother by a second for the first time, way to go Tie
    BlastMass11_TieBrooksDrop.JPG

Los Alamos Robbie Brooks:
    BlastMass12_RobbieBrooksDrop.JPG

Los Alamos Josh Gonzales back from a collar bone injury at the Pajarito Race:
    BlastMass13_JoshGonzales.JPG

Ben through the water fall section to a 5th place finish in a stacked class of 40 riders for Jr. Cat2:
    BlastMass14_Ben.JPG

Another jump to flat:
    BlastMass15_DHJump.JPG

Los Alamos Josh Wilcox on the same jump:
    BlastMass16_JoshWilcox.JPG

Me at the finish, glad to be in one piece:
    BlastMass17_NealFinish.JPG

My family at the finish:
    BlastMass19_Pedersons.jpg

We also took a trip to the Maroon Bells one evening:
    BlastMass20_PedersonsMaroonBells.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the bike OK?

For the Lance fans

Lance warming up just before the XC race, it was very warm out and I was suprised to see him with a jacket:
    BlastMass21_LanceArmstrongWarmingUp.jpg

My mother-in-law getting a picture with Lance's backside
    BlastMass22_LanceArmstrongDarlene.jpg

Lance at the start, those Pros gotta either be thinking, "damn, I gotta race one of the best athletes ever", or "damn, it would be cool to be able to say I beat Lance Armstrong":
    BlastMass23_LanceArmstrongStart.jpg

banned
    Lance schmance! He shoulda raced DH ..nice pics.

High Alpine Adventure
    DH is fun... But he just smoked a bunch of local Pro's in a tune-up for Leadville next weekend. His sites are firmly focused on Mr. Dave Wiens.... and oh yeah, if you want real BIG fun, try matching a 6:45 over 100 miles with 14,000' of climbing. I dare ya!!!

Nice picts Neal!!! And great effort by Ben!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    . and oh yeah, if you want real BIG fun, try matching a 6:45 over 100 miles with 14,000' of climbing. I dare ya!!!
    ..as long as I'm 'climbing' my way down

Is the bike OK?
    DH is fun... But he just smoked a bunch of local Pro's in a tune-up for Leadville next weekend. His sites are firmly focused on Mr. Dave Wiens.... and oh yeah, if you want real BIG fun, try matching a 6:45 over 100 miles with 14,000' of climbing. I dare ya!!!

Nice picts Neal!!! And great effort by Ben!
    I don't know if the rumors are true but I also heard Landis is going to be doing battle at Leadville too!

tardcore
    You gotta think Lance will be very strong at Leadville, that TDF was a nice little training exercise.

High Alpine Adventure

They be bringin' it to Leadville!

ewwwwww... the plot thickens!!! I had heard that Levi was going to race with him to see if they could team up on Dave. But with Levi's accident in the Tour I guess that may be out....

I assume you guys heard that Dave pretty much called eveyone out by saying he didn't think anyone could beat him at Leadville because it's too tough for "real" endurance pros. I think he was trying to egg on Tostado, Tinker and others to come and have at him! I'm sure it was all in good jest to get attention for the race. But I'm also sure Lance has some unfinished business. And with the Tour under his belt he's plenty fit.... guess he showed that last weekend. Gonna be interesting!!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Is the bike OK?
    ewwwwww... the plot thickens!!! I had heard that Levi was going to race with him to see if they could team up on Dave. But with Levi's accident in the Tour I guess that may be out....
    Levi was in Aspen. He didn't race Snowmass but I was wondering what he was doing there. I'm sure he's been spin training with the broken wrist and it's probably healed by now.

High Alpine Adventure

Even Wien's says so...

Quote Originally Posted by pjlama
    You gotta think Lance will be very strong at Leadville, that TDF was a nice little training exercise.
    Interview with Dave Weins....

BIKERUMOR: Speaking of the Leadville, some of the comments on Bikerumor seem to think this is the year Lance Armstrong beats you. Your thoughts on that?

DAVE: Honestly, itís hard to see on paper how he can lose. Last year he was a couple of weeks into training and I was as fit as I think I have ever been, at least for a race of that distance. He pushed me to the limit; it wasnít like I had much more to give. This year, heís a year and a couple of weeks into training and fresh off of two Grand Tours and nearly winning The Tour. It wasnít as if I could do something different to be way fitter for this yearís race. Iíll be stoked if I have last yearís fitness and head to head, no technical issues, that just wonít cut it against him. Additionally, and I canít say this enough, there are going to be some other hammers in the race this year gunning for both of us. Last I heard it was Tinker, Jeremiah Bishop, although he might be hurt, and Travis Brown, to name three. And you never know who else might pop his head in there, known or unknown.
    The other element here is that Leadville has never hosted the best bike racers. My wins there all have an invisible asterisk next to them, as in, who wasnít there that could possibly have won? When Lance wins The Tour or gets third, itís not like there are people saying, ďyeah, but such and such guy wasnít there and so and so wasnít there either.Ē But thatís another difference, too, at The Tour, your racing for tons of global glory and piles of money; at the Leadville 100, youíre racing for a fifteen pound ore cart trophy, a belt buckle,a gold mining pan and, last year, a sweet long board! Before Lance and Floyd, the winner of this race got scant more attention than the rider that came in closest to the 12 hour cut-off time. But that was a good thing and was perfectly aligned with the spirit of the event.

BIKERUMOR: Youíve got the double whammy, too, with Levi Leipheimer signed up to raceÖwhatís it like going in to defend your title against some serious horsepower like those two?

DAVE: I can only do what I can do. I realized that against Floyd in Ď07 when he pedaled away from me, and I mean pedaled away from me! I can only go so hard before Iím in danger of blowing to the moon. Regardless of who is there, I will simply try to ride at the front of the race as long as I can. If I canít hang anymore, Iíll drop off and go into time trial mode and hope I can ride that pace steadily to the finish line. My time will be my time. Iím going into this race feeling like I canít lose. Thatís a loose and metaphorical ďcanít loseĒ because while I may not win the race, for me there will be personal victory in defeat. But I will be trying to win the race!

.... here's the whole interview...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/08/10/...leadville-100/

Oh and this is Lance's SledÖ

http://www.bikeworldnews.com/index.p...ille-100-bike/

2 x 10! Who needs a third chainringÖ
    Dug-Da-Goat

banned
    Damn, that's super custom. The rear linkage position seems weird.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Damn, that's super custom. The rear linkage position seems weird.
    I hear ya... the seat stays go straight into the link. Bet it's super firm in the rear for climbing. Probably pretty close to a HT feel and only gives when it really slams something. Seems the Geometry is designed that way...
    Dug-Da-Goat

banned
    That was exactly what I was thinking.

High Alpine Adventure

Tinker's in....

This is getting interesting... if Tostada and Bishop show up with Travis Brown there, you have some of Colorado's toughest going at it with Lance and Levi workin it... Gonna be REAL interesting!!!

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/wiens-t...rez-august-15/
    Dug-Da-Goat

7MGTE
    I assume you guys heard that Dave pretty much called eveyone out by saying he didn't think anyone could beat him at Leadville because it's too tough for "real" endurance pros. I think he was trying to egg on Tostado, Tinker and others to come and have at him! I'm sure it was all in good jest to get attention for the race. But I'm also sure Lance has some unfinished business. And with the Tour under his belt he's plenty fit.... guess he showed that last weekend. Gonna be interesting!!!!
    Looks like Lance got him this year

http://www.examiner.com/x-17737-Albu...ille-Trail-100