mtbr member

SnOtero Canyon and the Return of Fall (x-post passion)

Mountain biking in NM during the autumn months… most years it’s a pleasant affair, warmish temps, leaves changing colors and blanketing the trails, making those final runs on trail you won’t see again for months – and appreciating it that much more. This year however, a freak storm brought snow, and panic, at the thought of a long winter beginning in October. Well, when things are looking bleak, ride.

I txt’d (word?) my partner in crime, and with a little convincing, we were off to Otero Canyon. While gearing up in the parking lot, second guessing our decision was the topic at hand. And then we were off.

Fluffy dry pow covered the trails, the canyon provided a haven from the wind, and all was peaceful and quiet.

Traction, however, was less than ample. Simple moves were now full-body balancing acts, while trying to curtail wheel spin.

Forward progress was made, and soon we found ourselves further up the canyon than we had anticipated getting. Pausing for a moment we realized that this winter wonderland was not long for this earth, soon to be replaced by soupy-slop, and demon mud. Needless to say, we turned back.

Getting a few turns in

Getting out just in time

Exactly one week later we were back to our regularly scheduled program. Sunny skies, and temps approaching 70 degrees. Otero, being the canyon that it is, was surely still a muddy mess. Across the highway at the Cedro Peak trail system conditions were perfect for an all-day cruise. Just a few shots from that day, but you get the idea…

Starting off with some twisty-chunky-flow

And cruising through a rocky stretch

Is Tim going to kick me?

Nice roller

Kinda the effect I was shooting for, or maybe how a deceased mountain biker's apparition would appear

Winter will be upon us soon. Get out there and ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    'Bout time you posted some stoke in NM. I was getting tired of the same'ole pics

The snow ride looked ridiculous and fun at the same time. Those are the rides you remember. If not for all of the futility of it, but as a reminder that you've "been there, done that"

Great stoke, bud. Missed yer pics!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey Andy,

Nice work on the snow pics.
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN

Winter will be upon us soon. Get out there and ride.[/b]
    Words to live by. Just don't ride past the meth lab if you can avoid it.

Nice pics amigo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SnOtero Canyon and the Return of Fall (x-post passion)-meth-lab.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

The snow ride was really fun, and photogenic, you don't get days like that one too often. I'm still kicking myself for not taking the DSLR.

banned
    I hope you reported that sh!t.

mtbr member
    It was just someone's dwelling. Sketchy, but no signs of illegal behavior.