Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bandolero Crew N.M.

No good smoke alert-David Canyon

Yesterday the Main fire that is just west of David and Bonito Canyon had a pretty big flare up. You could see the flames on MT Washington from the David Canyon PL moving north and a little east. Yesterday evening the smoke filled David Canyon and ash was even falling at my place. The fire is not expected to move east toward David Canyon. But the smoke could be a problem over the nexy few days if your planning on biking in this area.

Bandolero Crew N.M.

Update

Just spoke with the FS. They have had several crews cutting a fire break just west of David Canyon on FS land. That means the trail just across from Turkey Trot Trail that follows along the FS boundry is probably effected. Not telling you that you cant ride there, but probably a good area to stay away from for a bit.

mtbr member
    I could see the "puffs" of smoke from base on Sunday as the fire went from tree to tree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcupach
    I could see the "puffs" of smoke from base on Sunday as the fire went from tree to tree.
    You sure that wasn't Ricky?

mtbr member
    Or it could have been General Nob leading the Keebler army across the forbiden GOV forest using scorched Earth techniques to prevent the "Evil Doers" from conquering his underground habitat

banned
    Nah, knob had better things to do...

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    You two look like your hiding from the law

mtbr member
    or cousins from the deep south

mtbr member
    Better yet its Nob with his SPECOPS General planning their next strategy to rule the forests of NM...one ST at a time!

banned
    *snicker*

Bandolero
    knob dropped the wall sweeeeet

banned
    Only his second time ever! Butter smooth, too. Look at his face

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    The fire crews are still cutting a fire break between David Canyon and the military boundry. Looks like it will run quite a ways. Poco whatever trail across from Turkey Trot definatly is effected. Curious to see what is left after the fire crews pull out.Im sure the trail will be in need of repair.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52
    The fire crews are still cutting a fire break between David Canyon and the military boundry. Looks like it will run quite a ways. Poco whatever trail across from Turkey Trot definatly is effected. Curious to see what is left after the fire crews pull out.Im sure the trail will be in need of repair.
    Thanks for the update, keep us posted.

Bandolero Crew N.M.

Good job! Heres the scoop

I had to go see for myself. There are still around 100 fire fighters in and around David Canyon As you head down you can here chain saws all up and down the canyon. I kind of expected to see a big swat cleared through the trees. Not so. At the bottom of David Canyon there were crews thining trees. First 1/4 mile of Turkey Trott has lots of cut limbs on the trail. Same on the west ridge, lots of thining. The trails are pretty much uneffected.I know that all the work being done makes us feel more at ease here. My thanks to the Fire Crews out there working hard to keep us safe. Lets go ride!

Bandolero
    Here's some pretty pictures from the Telegraph

http://www.mvtelegraph.com/index.php...-flare-up.html
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Tunnel, Otero,David Canyon are CLOSED at this time. What a turn of events. I couldnt get the FS to give any kind of time frame. All trail heads are posted. Only the area west of 337.

banned
    This is all very interesting. I wonder how many of the "illegal" trails were affected by the burn and subsequent "thinning". My guess is that most of those trails will need repair and since they are illegal... Sure makes the task of closing trails much easier for FS as they were doing a half assed job as it were.

tardcore
    I spoke to a firefighter today that came in my shop. He said it's really not very bad they're just being cautious so the area should open very soon.

mtbr member
    Lots of rain in the East mountains since last night. Hopefully that will put the fire out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    last night's news said that the FS has closed all of the forest south of I-40 and west of 337 (NM14) up to the Isleta Reservation boundaries. Wonder if the rain will make them rethink that.
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

tardcore
    mtbike52 will need to comment but it rained really hard all night in Cedar Crest. Hopefully the trails aren't totally f'd.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    We got rain most of the night, and so far most of today. I dont think the fire is the issue right now. They dont want people an the area while 160 men are thinning near the boundry. As of today they are still in camp in Tijeras. Cant see how they can keep it closed more than a few days if that. The fire danger posted says MODERATE.

Bandolero

Singing in the Rain

Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52
    We got rain most of the night, and so far most of today. I dont think the fire is the issue right now. They dont want people an the area while 160 men are thinning near the boundry. As of today they are still in camp in Tijeras. Cant see how they can keep it closed more than a few days if that. The fire danger posted says MODERATE.
    Here's the link to the FS Website.

Updates to this should be posted in the news sidebar on the Sandia District site.

And the area's still closed.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/cibola/news/...e_081409.shtml
    Last edited by notaknob; 08-14-2009 at 03:59 PM.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Here's some pretty pictures from the Telegraph

http://www.mvtelegraph.com/index.php...-flare-up.html
    They dont look too pretty. But the ranger station said it is just smoldering now.
    thanks for the info Knob.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast