Hey, wait up!

Silver City - Signal Peak Challenge

Ahhhhhhh - what a weekend.

Things were about as close to perfect as they get in the MTB/race adventure quest.

Weather was perfect. I mean perfect.

The course was dry and tight - with just enough loose scrambly rocks to keep us alert and remind us this is "mountain biking" not some sort of road ride on dirt paths.

Beer, food, cool theme, and a smooth race operation.

No photos to speak of except the ones in my head, but they are very, very nice.

Results to post up soon.

Jack Brennan and co-presenter Michelle announced that they are passing the torch, and this is his last stint as race director. Anyone who ever enjoyed the race knows what a tremendous legacy he has helped to build. Silver City cool bikers Nathan Shay and Dan Dietzel will take over going forward. I have every confidence they and the phenomenal Silver City community are up for the Challenge (yes, a pun).
    Last edited by LCdaveH; 08-26-2008 at 10:42 AM.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Pink Bikes Rule!!

Good job! Super Kudos to the Race Staff!!!

Dave I have to agree with you. This year's Challenge was incredibly awesome. The weather was perfect, the course was awesome and the race staff and volunteers were superb!! Jack really left some big shoes to fill. But I'm sure Nathan and Co. will step right in and carry on the tradition of having the most fun race around.

I really want to thank the promotors for stepping up to the plate with the prizes for the ladies. Every age group got podium prizes and that was awesome. While there aren't as many of us gals out there as there are guys, we still pay our entry fees and battle it out on the trail just like the guys do. It sucks when we're given short shrift come awards time. So I was really quite happy when I found out that all sport women weren't just being lumped together for podium prizes. (Hint: All you other promoters out there remember that! )

Thanks Silver City, Jack and Co!!! We'll be back next year!
    [SIZE="2"]The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong[/SIZE]

mnt bike laws of physics
    The trails were amazing!!!
    I didn't feel very good and consequently was cramping the last 2/3 of the race which made it a suffer fest for me and then I had to leave right after the race to get to a 4:00 class....but man the trails were spot on.
    Thanks Dave for talking me into going...you were right

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    While we are all feeling the warm and fuzzies about the race I want to put in my say: I flatted a couple of times and both times every single rider that past me by asked if I needed help. Thanks! We have a cool and groovy bunch coming out for these races.
    I will miss Jack and his wife at the race but I know the insanity will carry-on!
    I beat my husband at the CreamPuff 100.
    Relavant blog:

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    Ahhhhhhh - what a weekend. ...
    That was really some production. I couldn't imagine what all the racket was down in the trees when I got there on thurs, and it turns out it was who knows how many people showing up to build the meat-smoking pit over the next couple of days. This event obviously gives a lot more people than just the racers the opportunity to express themselves. I love their idea of a good time.

The only part that was anywhere near as colorful as the pre-race festivities was the start of the race. I can't imagine more people on the brink of throwing up/cardiac arrest within 100 yds of the start. What are those people thinking? Getting through all those pedestrians without a dab had to have been the most technical part of the race for me.

The course had, not a little, but a lot of everything. Fast climbs, hard climbs, absurd climbs; fast descents, oops, not too fast descents; stream crossings; a rowdy rock garden on the east side, which was probably the last thing I expected to run into at that point, and even a super-fast finish which allowed me to get in touch with my inner sprinter when a determined young buck that I passed on the last climb decided to test my mettle up the road and through the ditch.

A classic, challenging course, and a first-class production. May it remain intact.

Hey, wait up!
    Results (I'm still plugging in license #s)

And results for SS

A couple of pics

A pretty butterfly
    A big fly
    Pro/Exp Mens lineup
    Pro/Exp Mens Start
    Pro/Exp Women's Start
    Finish line
    Finish line backside
    Finish line backside detail

{images got a little out of order in the upload, but I don't want to fuss with trying to reorder them}

Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Hey, wait up!
    Two more pics of a couple of Headhunters and their spoils from the battle.
    'twas truly a brutal race.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    Results ....
    Thanks, Dave. And, as I recall, sport males deduct a full 5 minutes for actual time. Can't recall when the others started, but I believe it's the same for SS, and also female sport (albeit different course)?

Mythical Creature
    Why is Damian on a Specialized?

And wow! Looks as fun as ever - and with primo weather, it must have been awesome. Sad such a relatively small turnout, but since I'm not 'in it to win it' (some gas money!) I couldn't swing the gas money, alas.

Looks like El Gasso from El Paso was challenged on the SS! Was there a sprint finish to claim the victory head?

And Jen, his (much) better half, looks like she's having too much fun despite flatting....

My big question is will it be Dave H. himself carrying the torch on for Jack and co.?

You got my vote bub!

Last edited by glenzx; 08-26-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Pink Bikes Rule!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    Thanks, Dave. And, as I recall, sport males deduct a full 5 minutes for actual time. Can't recall when the others started, but I believe it's the same for SS, and also female sport (albeit different course)?
    That's right. I was wondering why there was such a large time difference between my computer and the posted time.
    The Pro/Expert women started one minute behind the Pro/Expert Men. I don't remember the time gap to the Sport men start. And then the Sport women started one minute behind the Sport men.
    And here I kept wondering where it was that I'd black out and stopped moving for so long!
    [SIZE="2"]The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong[/SIZE]

Hey, wait up!
    I took some bad notes for my lead post.

Nancy Brennen is jack's wife (she was also the queen for the festivities). Michele is Jack's co-conspirator for the Tour of the gila. Both stepped down because the tour just takes so much time and energy.

Nathan Shay and Dan Dietzel, will now be taking over the reins for the event.

Nathan and Dan and company will do very well without any officious intermeddling from the likes of DaveH

Don't look at D-Rock's bike and, whatever you do, don't talk about it. (His main ride was at the shop for TLC).