mtbr member

Silver City Outlaw Heritage Ride

Im planning on traveling the state to visit historic sites of the wild west, with a particulariinterestin Billy the kid. I plan on visiting silver city and would like to check out and historical sites. Also I will be riding while I'm there.

So, any one know of some good historic spots in or around silver city? How are the trails? What are the easist ones to find? Any barly rideable trails? Maybe somone from town could show me around?

RCC
    Bandolero
    sound fun...have a good time bubba.
    Tucson is not too far from there,good riding down there.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Yea i might aswell hit up Tucson if im that far south, i met some dudez at angel firw once from silver city so im sure they got a bunch of bootleg trails there. Another leg of the tour is gonna be in carrizozo, since i have family there i can spend alot more time finding my own ****. They have some massive lava flows 100miles long 5 or 10 miles wide. Some creative rock work could make for a gnarly trail. Right by there is the goast town of white oaks, the only thing there is a 100 year old sallon thats still open and serves as a biker hang out. Also i have ft sumner las Vegas and maybe telluride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I guess billy the kids mom is buried here but I don't know where exactly. The silver city museum is where you could see photos of what things looked like when he lived here. There really isn't much else about the kid that I know of.

The old cemetery and townsite of Georgetown might interest you, but it is a ways out of town on a dirt road. The gila cliff dwellings are interesting if you haven't seen stuff like mesa verde that is big. That is a couple hour drive to get to, though.

The riding is good, but there are no bootleg trails or jumps, just regular old hiking trails. The easiest long downhills to find start at the top of signal peak. One was the downhill race course and is a nonstop 2 mile narrow trail-watch for hikers.

If you have a gps you could do the black peak section of the continental divide trail down to the little cherry creek trail and out to NM15. This starts almost at the top of signal peak also. You will get lost without a gps, I can pretty much guarantee it.

Fair warning, if you don't have someone to drive you up signal peak you will be climbing a lot. There is at least an hour of climbing to get to the top if you are in good shape.

There are tons of other trails around like at gomez peak and the continental divide trail in the burro mountains, but the downhills aren't especially long. Some of my favorite sketchy downhills are in the black range but they all got burned to a crisp in a fire last year and I have no idea when they will be rideable.

Have fun when you come.

mtbr member
    Thanks, much appreciated. Have you been to the rock city? Is the dragon fly petroglyphs are cool?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Have not ridden in that area yet. Here are a couple things from my files.

Signal Peak New Mexico Trail Reviews

Gila National Forest - Bicycling:Mountain Biking

USFS does not always differentiate between flavors of "mountain biking", so you kind of have to read between the lines

Couple of old threads that can be mined for beta:

There be trails in the Gila National Forrest!

Any Good Silver City Riding?

"Difficult" and "technical" are mentioned on this page:

Southwest New Mexico Bicycling Guide

And this must have been written for Fuglio.... "few bicycle riders attempt"

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5321766.pdf

mtbr member
    Sweet looks like im headed to little walnut. It would be cool to try and find billy the kids old house ,at least where it used to be. Ft Bayard looks like a cool place to camp Ill be bringong the wife and kids so hopefully tey be able to find some stuff to dowhile im out taking care of business

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Thanks, much appreciated. Have you been to the rock city? Is the dragon fly petroglyphs are cool?
    I actually have not been to city of rocks, but it is supposed to be cool. There is a mountain biker living there as a campground host right now who has been working on some of the trails so you could ride there, but it is short. I think that rockcrawling/trials stuff would be fun out there.

I ride by the dragonfly petroglyphs all the time, I think, and I have never noticed them. Again, I here they are cool but I don't know. The trail by it is fun but very xc and you could ride a couple hours out there easy.

You can't camp at Fort Bayard, though. It is day use only. The KOA outside town is probably the closest camping with a toilet. There are a couple campgrounds ten miles north of town on the way to signal peak but they are not open for the season yet. You could call the forest service in silver city and ask when they open. Otherwise you are going to be about thirty miles from town around lake roberts or maybe some of the black range campgrounds are open this early. There are campgrounds at the cliff dwellings too, but no riding.

The little walnut area is what I mean when I say gomez peak, and it has a few technical downhills that are pretty short and a bunch of flatter stuff that is fun. On the map that somebody linked you should do the angel loop clockwise and the mountain loop counterclockwise. The dragon trail clockwise is technical but with too much hiking uphill for my taste. The cdt around there is fun as well.

Edit: that yellow trail on the map up to gomez peak is fun as an out and back, I forgot.

mtbr member
    Thanks Gilarider, I'll definitely hit up city of rocks. Don't know where I'll stay. Probly just get a hotel in the center of town since it splits the difference between walnuts and rocks.I plan on making the trip in the next few weeks. The outlaw heritage looks a little bit sparse. Ill just take a couple gravesite pics and look around down town to see what I can see. A better planed trip would link in se Arizona but Im a little limited by time and will have to keep the family entertained. Should be fun im properly stoked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Silver City Outlaw Heritage Ride

City of rocks is cool and the camping is decent too. It's way out there though. Until you are right up on it you can't imagine there is anything worth seeing. But it is and this is the time to go. Summer is hot and spring is windy.

I also read recently that Fort Bayard is for sale. Not outlaw history per se but interesting. The original fort was established and built by a Buffalo Soldier regiment. I met one descendent of these military pioneers down in silver city and there may be more.

And of course the mining corps are their own kind of outlaws. The Santa Rita mine is a nasty eyesore! But it would be cool to ride to the bottom of it some day...

mtbr member

Less Heritage more outlaw.

I made it down to silver city wife kids dog and everyone. We had a good time but as expected there wasn't much to find in the way of Wild west Historical sites. The Town itself is an old mining town and the locals do a good job maintaining the old drag.

photo 0308141152.jpg

Saturday morning I got up at 5am and rode Gomez peak/ little walnut while everyone was still sleeping. The trail head is right in town and was only 10 min for our hotel. The terrain is very similar to Otero. Some sections are much steeper and there is generally more rocks and bigger ones. I just did a short 3 hr ride but still got a good feel for the area. There were lots of bootleg turn offs and It would seem the locals have a lot more going on then what the trail map would show. The system itself isn't the biggest if your looking to just put up some miles BUT it does have a connecter to the continental divide trail so you could go really far if you wanted.

I did a loop up to 80 peak down dragons tail the climbed all they way up to the top of gomez peak took some pictures fell in a cactus and went home. The trail guide says bikes stay away from Gomez peak I don't know why the climb wasn't bad and with the exception of a long rock stair case it was all doable. The best downhill section i found was dragons tail from point 7 to 8. Angels loop is also cool and also mountain loop.. Actually it was all cool and am planning on going back

Gomez peak map

photo 0308140855.jpg

The next ride was City of Rocks. It was my favorite. Its perfect for riders with kids that like camping. The state parks is centered around what i would describe as a stone forest. Camp sites surround the stone center where rock spires surround you with many paths in out and around the rocks. The kids have fun exploring and thanks to trails spray painted onto the rock floor you can ride around and explore as well. The park is well attended to there is a desert botanical garden along with an observatory. The different rocks are named after constellations. .... Also there is a 50 foot rock in the shape of an erect penis

photo IMG_0502.jpg

Last we did Ft bayard trails from the dragon fly trail head. my daughter rode and i walked. I had a good feeling it was going to be buffed out XC trails and i was right. perfect for little kids that still need to be spotted while riding. We made our way to the site of a dragon fly petroglyph and then headed home. The area surrounding the petroglyph is really pretty. A high rock out crop that a stream bends around complete with tiny water falls to set the mood.

photo IMG_0627.jpg

So the outlaw ride will have to wait for another day.. next trip is to Lincoln where the Billy the Kid history is easy to find, there might even be some trails too

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Also there is a 50 foot rock in the shape of an erect penis
     photo IMG_0502.jpg
    LOL, sometimes erosion is hilarious.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin