Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    High Alpine Adventure

Silver City or Bust!

Hey folks,

Sandra and I are headed down to Silver City to explore a bit. I found this site for trails and it lists some pretty good rides...

http://www.silvercity.org/activ_bicycling_guide.php

and this thread...

where to ride in SW NM?

I was wondering if there was any other rides in the area that the locals keep stashed...

Comon, spill the beans!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Hey folks,

Hey Doug

A bunch of us went esplorin down there a few years ago. We camped off of the road that goes to the hot springs and cliff dwellings. Found a section of the Continental Divide Trail that was OK. And if you make your wy up to the Signal Peak lookout tower there is a wicked fun trail down to the highway. But not much other than that.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try and ride the Tadpole Ridge trail unless someone swears up and down it's been cleared. That was the wordst monster death march of my sweet young life.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    Hey Doug

A bunch of us went esplorin down there a few years ago. We camped off of the road that goes to the hot springs and cliff dwellings. Found a section of the Continental Divide Trail that was OK. And if you make your wy up to the Signal Peak lookout tower there is a wicked fun trail down to the highway. But not much other than that.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try and ride the Tadpole Ridge trail unless someone swears up and down it's been cleared. That was the wordst monster death march of my sweet young life.
    What's so wrong with monster death marches?
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Hey folks,

Sandra and I are headed down to Silver City to explore a bit. I found this site for trails and it lists some pretty good rides...

http://www.silvercity.org/activ_bicycling_guide.php

and this thread...

where to ride in SW NM?

I was wondering if there was any other rides in the area that the locals keep stashed...

The Signal Peak Challenge race course is an awesome fun longish ride.

I can send you a gpx if you like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silver City or Bust!-sp2009.jpg  

Silver City or Bust!-sp2009elev.jpg  

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    Thanks Robert... after subjecting Sandra to the "Cumbres Blow Down Trek", I think I'll avoid anything remotely like that at all costs...
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    Thanks Dave... We'll definitely do this now that we have a nice map!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    I thought Tadpole Ridge was great. Granted, there were some bushwacking sections, and the dirt road mileage at the end wasn’t cool, but with some TLC that trail would be a gem ridden point-to-point. Most of the overgrowth that I recall was atop the ridge, or on the descent. Maybe an out and back up to the ridge would be worthwhile. Dave?

The next day Dave and I rode a section of the CDT that was fun. Maybe he can pass along that info as well (if he hasn't already).

While you in the area, check out the Gila Cliff Dwellings.

Serious mtb-destination potential down there.

Thread Pollution
    Goat, how about some silver flavored feed back when you return. I've only done the race down there and really had alot of fun on the single track sections and would like to ride some more ... some day
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    The next day Dave and I rode a section of the CDT that was fun. Maybe he can pass along that info as well (if he hasn't already).

Serious mtb-destination potential down there.
    The choice CDT stuff starts after summiting Signal Peak: Ride the ridge to Black Peak, drop into the chute, follow the CDT counterclockwise through map sections 14, 13, etc.

There has been some new trail work in this area that makes it even better than it was.

(Using a gps track is advisable if you are unfamiliar with the route.)

Doug, when are you planning a SC trip? Maybe we can wrangle a group.

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you're headed down over memorial day don't overlook the free jazz/blues/country music festival on the weekend. I've seen some top notch performers there.

High Alpine Adventure

Gonna Rock...

All of the above...

We're coming down on Saturday Dave and will probably Camp at the Cherry Creek Campground. I think the Signal Peak and Gomez Peak/Walnut trails are on order, but would like to do some of the CDT....

In between shaking a leg to Guitar Shorty!!!

http://www.mimbresarts.org/blues_home.html
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You should go into Gila Hike and Bike and ask for a map of the gomez peak trails. Then print out the map of the Signal Peak Course and do some exploring up there. Don't ride signal peak without a map or you can end up far away from where you want to be. That will be three days of riding.

Tadpole ridge is still messed up. Only do the first couple of mile closest to highway 15 as an out and back.

If you are coming over emory pass, stop on top and ride south to Sawyer's Peak and back. That is a sweet, sweet trail on the way down. maybe an hour and a half ride.

There are other rides, but they are complicated, or more mellow than the above.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    The new mom and dad will be meeting the SS posse from AZ out there again. Last time we rode we did some more exploring on the CDT south of the race course. There's some good stuff there. We also did some bushwacking off the CDT and wound up back on the road between Pinos Altos and Cherry Creek. It was an interesting ride and not nearly as bad as the now infamous Tadpole Ridge ride. I'd love to do TR again, but the bushwacking really sucked.

It's disappointing that the mtb'rs in Silver are focused on pandering to doper Lance and not on buffing out as many mtb trails as possible. The riding has so much potential.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I dont like my trails buffed out. If you are the organizer of the Puzzler, it seems you don't either.

There are plenty of routes out here, just a bit hard to navigate, so Tadpole is not worth it given the other options. Maybe I will see you all out on the race course tomorrow. Have a nice stay.

High Alpine Adventure
    We should be riding by around noon, but may do the Gomez/Little Walnut area tomorrow and save Signal Peak for Sunday. If you see these two mottly characters around... it's us!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silver City or Bust!-p1010057web.jpg  

Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Keep posting pics you guys, I have been reseraching and pondering a trip to Silver City for a while now and like what little info out there I have found.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    We also did some bushwacking off the CDT and wound up back on the road between Pinos Altos and Cherry Creek. It was an interesting ride and not nearly as bad as the now infamous Tadpole Ridge ride. I'd love to do TR again, but the bushwacking really sucked.

It's disappointing that the mtb'rs in Silver are focused on pandering to doper Lance and not on buffing out as many mtb trails as possible. The riding has so much potential.
    Buff trails? Its called getting Gila Proven. That's why you need a simple, strong, lightweight (<24 lbs) bike.
    Tadpole is a good one...But if you want to try something off the beaten path, try Juniper Hill to the confluence of Bear Creek and Walnut Creek, turn up stream to Walnut Creek. The creek forks at Allen Spring. East Fork will take you out onto the CD Trail South/Whoop-dee-doo road junction, the north fork takes you back to the Little Walnut picnic grounds. Its a fairly hardcore ride.
    Gila Proven

High Alpine Adventure

WOW sums it up!!!

This place has sooooo much potential. The NFS is doing an outstanding job of cleaning up the forest. Lots of "Revitalization Act" money being spent on thinning things out down there.

We didn't ride much of Signal Peak, just didn't have time. But we rode most of Gomez Peak and some of the CDT north towards Pino Alto (PA). The CDT crosses NM 15 in PA and to the south is the Gomez Mt. and Little Walnut Trails off of Little Walnut Rd. To the north is the Signal Peak area. So that gets you kinda oriented.

The Gila Hike and Bike said that the CDT north from NM15 in PA towards Signal Peak was pretty rugged. Not a recommended climbing route but sweet for a DH Shuttle from Signal Peak Rd. The CDT North from Gomez Peak was cool but we only got up a few miles. It's 7.5miles on the CDT to NM15 in PA from the Gomez Trails. They also said that the CDT south towards the Burro Mts. was nice and the CDT north of Signal Peak is also worth doing.

But here's the "stash"... when it gets hot and the locals want to get up high where it's cool and the trail is sweet, they head to Emory Pass and ride the "79". We did about 2-3 miles to Sawyer Peak and all I can say is think South Boundary without the Aspens...

Ohhh yeah!!!! More info to follow!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silver City or Bust!-img_1477.jpg  

Silver City or Bust!-img_1479.jpg  

Silver City or Bust!-img_1455.jpg  

Silver City or Bust!-img_1462.jpg  

Silver City or Bust!-img_1472.jpg  

Silver City or Bust!-img_1452.jpg  

Last edited by DaGoat; 06-01-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Thread Pollution
    Your Lucky Lance was in Europe,cause I heard they close all trails for his use and cater only to him when he is in Silver.... Lmao.. Thanks for taking the adventure.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider
    I dont like my trails buffed out. If you are the organizer of the Puzzler, it seems you don't either.

There are plenty of routes out here, just a bit hard to navigate, so Tadpole is not worth it given the other options. Maybe I will see you all out on the race course tomorrow. Have a nice stay.
    Yes there are plenty of other rides out there. Epic singletrack is what you guys need to strive for. CDT is some of the best especially from Signal Peak to the Arastra. Great rock gardens!

I never said anything about buffed out. I'd just like to not look like I've been run over by a lawn mower after a ride. The locust on tadpole was ridiculous.

You have no idea how much time we spent (spend) on our trails down here. Hundreds of volunteer hours and many more labor hours by paid park employees. Buffing is not a concern, bleeding to death due to mesquite or other grabbing plants is.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You guys do good work over there in tough conditions. That new trail in the puzzler must have been brutal work.

Bottom line, we don't have enough mountain bikers here to keep everything up, but there are some hard workers. The race course is about all we can handle. Only a few people even ride the stuff outside of town and we aren't in tourism related jobs, so not too concerned about attracting out-of-towners. Someday, silver will grow and the trails will be cleaned up, but not soon.

Some history, Tadpole ridge had a fire go through it around '98 and never got rehabbed and fell into disuse. The rumor is a trail crew will work on it this summer, but all the off camber sections would need a re-tread at this point. If they can clean it up it will be awesome.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Gilarider; 06-03-2010 at 10:08 AM.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider
    The rumor is a trail crew will work on it this summer, but all the off camber sections would need a re-tread at this point. If they can clean it up it will be awesome.
    We ran into some college kids on Trail 79 that were clearing the trail. They said they we part of the "Reinvestment and Revitaliztion Act" money and had been contracted to work on 300 miles of trail down there this summer. They were just getting started and were focusing on the CDT...

Hope they make it over towards your part of the forest!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure

Late Oct/Early Nov. Emory Pass Adventure

The gears are turning folks. Here's some snippits from the Gila NFS Map. The first map shows what we did going to Sawyers Peak about 2-3 miles south on Trail 79. From there it continues south to a road about 6 miles down. You can kick that road a bit and pick up more of the Trail 79 and probably make it a 20+ mile out and back. Now it looks like you drop about 2000' from Sawyer on down, so it is a climb to Sawyer, a drop down to the end of Trail 79 and then a climb back and a drop to Emory Pass. There is another option down the 135 to explore as I've shown, but I can't make out any loops.

Now what intriques me is what is in Map 2 and 3 to the north of Emory Pass. Map 2 is the raw map and it is kind of hard to really make out the trails, but it looks like they skirt the wilderness boundary. I could see a nice loop as shown in the 3rd map. Looks like it hangs around 8-9000'

Uhmmmmm....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silver City or Bust!-trail-79.jpg  

Silver City or Bust!-trail-79-loop-raw.jpg  

Silver City or Bust!-trail-79-loop.jpg  

Last edited by DaGoat; 06-04-2010 at 10:18 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Sawyer Peak: A friend and I pioneered that route in the early 90s. We rode from Emery Pass all the way to the Royal John Mine road and rode that out to the lower Mimbres where we had a second car. Made for a 4 or 5 hour epic which included looking for old obscure blaze marks.

The Continental Divide Trail is the spine of the rides in the Silver City area. The CD "South" is a great loop ride from town: 5 miles pavement out to Little Walnut, get on the Gomez Peak system and ride over to the CD Trail "South" and head southwest toward Bear Mtn., About 5 or 6 miles of fun single track, hit the Bear Mtn road, and ride back into town via Cottage San road which is about 4 miles of pavement. Total loop is about 18 miles, takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Fun ride!
    Gila Proven

High Alpine Adventure
    We'll have to hook up GilaBear when we come back down. I'm thinking now that an early Nov. trip might just be the ticket. Nice back yard ya got there!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast