mtbr member

Signal Peak Challenge downhill preview.

J posted this vid yesterday on Youtube. Gives a pretty good preview of the SPC downhill course.
    BTW, J is riding a Trek Fuel EX 9.9. Makes it look easy. Makes me want to get a FS bike.
    Excellent J!
    MM
    Gila Proven

Hey, wait up!
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It is an AWESOME trail !! We are gonna clean it up good for the race !! Roughriders Represent !! Now we have expanded to Silver City .. Hope yall can make it !! I posted the vid link on our blog as well.. www.roughriderfreeride.blogspot.com .. There are some other cool vids too.. peace

mtbr member
    The Signal Peak trail was one of the first trails I rode up and down in the Gila way back in 1987. Its was badass on my Trek 850 back then and good to see its still a challenge on modern bikes.
    Gila Proven

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Where is this trail in relation to the XC course? What are the logistics?

mtbr member
    The finish of the DH should near the start/finish line of the XC course near the cattle guard on Hwy 15 at mile marker 14. The start of the DH is at the summit of Signal Peak. The "Long lap" used in the XC course turns off just before the summit, and onto the Black Peak trail.
    I don't know what the logistics are...someone in charge of the DH will have to answer that. Either you have pedal up, or maybe there will be a truck that takes you up.
    Gila Proven

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So you bear right where the s/t goes to Black Peak, and go through that gate? How far is it past there to the peak? Is the trail obvious up there? Is there only one way down? Could you get sidetracked on the descent?

mtbr member
    Yes, stay on the main USFS road and (do not turn onto the Black Peak Trail) go through that gate, up the hill to the look-out tower at the summit. The trail starts just on the west side of the tower. There should be a USFS sign pointing the way down. The first 1/4 mile is extremely rocky and switch-backy. I don't think you can get lost...its a pretty steep slope. Have fun!
    Gila Proven

banned

looks fun!!!

So, I'm going to be in Reserve (I think) next weekend and I thought I might check this out. I likely won't sign up for the race until the day of. When/where will folks be meeting for practice? Is it a shuttle? Are there any gates? Where's the link for registration, just in case? How do I get there? Sorry for all of the Q's

banned

More info...

I just checked the roughriders site and if you would like to prel-register you can email
    adobetechniques@yahoo.com. for the forms. Completed forms may be mailed to:

Signal Peak Downhill Challenge
    11 Camino Amarillo
    Silver City, NM 88061

and ....

There will be registration the day of the race beginning at 7:00 am and will close 30 minutes prior to start time. Start times are subject to change depending on enrollment and will be assigned and announced morning of race.
    Course: Course is a 2 mile downhill trail in the Gila National Forest located at on the Signal Peak Mountain outside of Silver City, NM. There will be transportation for riders and there bikes to the top of the trail.
    Directions: From Silver City, take HWY 180 to N. Pinos Altos Rd, which becomes NM 15 in approximately 2 miles. Take NM 15 for approximately 5 miles to arrive in Pinos Altos. Continue on NM 15 for approximately 15 miles to arrive at base of Signal Peak.
    More information can be obtained by calling 575-574-5956 or emailing adobetechniques@yahoo.com
    No refunds will be available.
    Quickie reference map:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 08-09-2009 at 07:28 AM.

7MGTE
    So... How did it go? Pics, results? How did the RRs do? Oh, one last Q, was that the last DH race in NM for this season?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Signal Peak Sikkness

Roughriders Represented.. The badass loco Silver City local , Rohan won by 1sec. Lord Vader was 2nd , Dirty J 3rd It was a GREAT time .. There were 12 racers , all went home happy.. It will happen again next year too.. We had some newbies come and get hooked !! Seems to always happen.. This is a great DH racecourse.. Thanx to Rohan for making this happen.. We will be putting some freeride stuff in ther as well.. Keep an eye out.. late Ididnt get pics.. argh

Grinder
    what were the times? so i know what to beat haha! and cool freeride!
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

Grinder
    btw that trail is called: down the shitter. it starts by a outhouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    8min 20 sec. is the time to beat.. I did 9min 3sec. chillin.. Its a great area , yall should go visit !!!