mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Signal Peak Challenge '09

It is August 16th this year in Silver City.

There is also a downhill race in the works at the same location, but on Saturday. Separate promotion, so details will follow.

We have gotten sign up figured out for the race. Going to do it online this year and see how that goes.

check out http://www.tourofthegila.com/register/index.html

or go straight to http://www.BikeReg.com/promoter/logos.asp?EventID=9039

See you there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Any changes to the (sport) course this year from last?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    approx. two miles of jeep trail has been taken out because it is now paralleled by singletrack. it is a new section of continental divide trail that some of the local mountain bikers and the nmvfo(i think that is the trail work group; thank you!) have built.

it takes out a really steep 1/4 mile climb/hike and replaces it with an easy climb.
    Last edited by Gilarider; 07-14-2009 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider
    approx. two miles of jeep trail has been taken out because it is now paralleled by singletrack. it is a new section of continental divide trail that some of the local mountain bikers and the nmvfo(i think that is the trail work group; thank you!) have built.

it takes out a really steep 1/4 mile climb/hike and replaces it with an easy climb.
    Thanks. That's good news. That crumbly hill really sucked.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider
    It is August 16th this year in Silver City.

There is also a downhill race in the works at the same location, but on Saturday. Separate promotion, so details will follow.

We have gotten sign up figured out for the race. Going to do it online this year and see how that goes.

check out http://www.tourofthegila.com/register/index.html

or go straight to http://www.BikeReg.com/promoter/logos.asp?EventID=9039

See you there!
    Schweet!!!

Those distances are a bit long, and the fees a little steep, but the prize list is awesome.

In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    Schweet!!!

Those distances are a bit long, and the fees a little steep, but the prize list is awesome.
    Good thing I've been doing the NMES events this year, maybe I can grind my way to some prize $$$.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The base entry fee is $30, same as last year. There is that online reg. fee now, so we raised race day registration up so there is incentive to pre-reg. You get meat on Sat. a good shirt and beer.

Distances are the same as last year too, gets in all the good trails. Cash prizes will continue, the amount depends on how much more sponsorship we get. Once expenses are paid all the rest goes to the racers.
    Last edited by Gilarider; 07-15-2009 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Downhill race at Signal Peak 2009..

Its gonna be sick !! We are going to clean the trail for the race, ITS a RAD DH course.. Yall racers will jizz ur pants.. August 15th 2009..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    www.roughriderfreeride.blogspot.com .. There is more info on the DH race .. peace

Hey, wait up!
    I had a nice ramble on the Signal Peak Challenge trails today. Didn't do the whole loop. Reconnesanced (sp?!?) the newest section of the Continental Divide Trail that has been added to the race. Sweets! Sure beats that rocky hike-a-bike atv path climb.

We got to ride through a forest fire!

At different points along the ride, we saw 3 or so smoke plumes in the middle distance. While going along the new section of the CTD trail, we came to a small, isolated burn zone. No big. As we rolled along, there were more and more burn zones. Then, we started feeling radiant heat from the ground in the burn areas. Then we saw smoke up close from a small, trailside smolder. Then we saw an actual tree laying on the ground in flames. Not really dangerous, but a forest fire nonetheless. We didn't have enough water on hand to put it out.

There is all sorts of red and blue flagging on the trees in the area that doesn't appear to make sense. There were also lots of cars (~20) parked at different spots that were non-biker and appeared to be hiker transports. We didn't run into anyone on the trail to go with all the cars.

Anyway - good times.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    ... We got to ride through a forest fire! ...
    That section wore me out last year, and it ain't gonna happen again. I'm planning on lighting it up this year, so those course marshalls better have plenty of water on hand.

I'm gonna crawl out of Cedro, into bed for a week, and then head to the Gila for some Yeehaw!

Or, I might crawl out of Cedro and into the car, head for the Gila to sleep for a week, and you can wake me when you get there.

What's the theme this year?

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson

What's the theme this year?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I can't see your attachment, but I see from the site that it's the Rocky Horror Gila Show.

That is so Silver/Cruces. There are more natural born crossriders down there per mile of s/t than any place on earth. It should be a riot. Hopefully the weather won't be too cool for (just) nylons.

Grinder
    anyone have a map?
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nogod
    anyone have a map?
    There are some minor courses changes as previously mentioned in this thread, otherwise:

signal peak 2008

Grinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    There are some minor courses changes as previously mentioned in this thread, otherwise:

signal peak 2008
    thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984