mtbr member
    May 2007

signal peak 2008

Howdee, who's heading over to Silver City for the 08 Signal Peak Challenge on 8/24?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Since someone brought this up (again)

DaveH, or somebody who knows - Is there any advice for pre-riding any particularly challenging parts of the course that are a) not too hard to find, and b) don't involve riding a large measure of the entire course to get there? By challenging, I mean hard technical or really steep climbs. Also, is there an elevation profile around for this year's course?

Found the elevation profile for last year:
    Horny Toad Hustle - Sneak Preview
    (thanks, Dave)
    Last edited by Garson; 08-01-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Hey, wait up!
    This race is da Bomb! [weather cooperating]

Flier

The course should be the same as last year

Elevation

Technical? Nah, not so much. Some steep rock chute climbs midway on the climb up. Doable if they're dry. Walkable if they're wet. Then a fair distance on forest road climb to the top. Then a rocky, pretty level stretch at elevation. THEN a goovey chute descent.

After that, last year's course included some *world class* new single track - it is part of the Continental Divide trail and runs along the contour with a southeast exposure and is rolling butter.

I got a .gpx if anyone wants.

I love this race sooooo much!

.d.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007

small turnout or not telling???

Well based on the replies, looks like this year's race will be very small in nature,,,,,,,,or everyone is holding out on their plans to race!!!............I have not raced Signal Peak since about 02 but it was super fun then and a great low key atmosphere,,,,,,,,,,hope I can make it over again in 2 weeks

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    Well based on the replies, looks like this year's race will be very small in nature,,,,,,,,or everyone is holding out on their plans to race!!!............I have not raced Signal Peak since about 02 but it was super fun then and a great low key atmosphere,,,,,,,,,,hope I can make it over again in 2 weeks
    Two weeks out is almost eternity in biker commitment time.

There may be more focus after Los Alamos' event.

The Southies will be out in force for some Silver City Shenanigans.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    Well based on the replies, ...
    Take the number of different people that post to all the Signal Peak threads in the next 2 weeks, and multiply by 15. That'll be about how many you can expect.

Hey, wait up!
    Good times, good times.

credit MyBike'sBroken

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    Good times, good times.
    Nothing like pictures of the course to get people cranked up, Dave. The more the merrier.

Thread Pollution
    It's the best race in the whole NM state series.Fun event and a class act they put on in Silver. anyone from SantaFe have room for one more person,gear and bike.I need a ride to and from.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Hey, Dave ...

I see daily rain is expected to move into the area next week. Aside from your crops , is that a good thing or a bad thing? What's the race course surface like when it's wet? Any difference between the jeep roads and the singetrack? Please, say it ain't clay.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    I see daily rain is expected to move into the area next week. Aside from your crops , is that a good thing or a bad thing? What's the race course surface like when it's wet? Any difference between the jeep roads and the singetrack? Please, say it ain't clay.
    It is a nice, loamy forest soil. Drains well. Gets good and goopy in the wet spots.

I've had plenty of rainy day rides over there, and they were fine. Part of the whole rugged mountain biker experience thing.

August 2006:

Normally dry:

Last edited by LCdaveH; 08-12-2008 at 09:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    ... Part of the whole rugged mountain biker experience thing. ...
    Thanks, great pics, beautiful area.

So, in the event of rain, for the sissy mountain biker you'd suggest, maybe, flip-flops rather than heels?

Hey, wait up!
    Ay ye lither sumfs

Graith ye staig fer the lairge fecht

Do ye Clans prood wit a fest onfaw on the muntain

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Are there any course markings up yet? I'm planning to head down that way Thurs for a change of scenery.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    Are there any course markings up yet? I'm planning to head down that way Thurs for a change of scenery.
    Highly doubtful that it's marked yet. Even when it's marked, it's not that well marked - just some ribbons. They rely on their course marshalls.

I hope to be in camp by about noon on Friday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks, Dave, for all the resources you've put up. With them as a guide, I'm thinking I can do at least a half-baked job of finding my way around. I'll keep an eye out for you fri. afternoon and/or sat. I'm camping thurs night, but have options for fri and sat night, although I'll definitely be hanging around the course every day during the day.

Grinder
    lol i live in Hurley(near silver). if it rains dont worry in a few it will be sunny again. and things dry out pretty fast up there. nice pics and maps!
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984