banned

SFMTBF....or BandopalOOza! A Showdown in 'The City Different'

Honestly, I wasn't planning on going since most of the crew were unable to attend. I had spoken with knob early on Saturday and he had plans on heading up in the AM and completely unsure if he was staying for the evening festivities. Saturday was Cedropalooza and I wasn't going to miss racing with the big dogs for anything.

Turns out knob decided 'my plan' was better. So after a good spanking at the Super D ( I was fourth from last ) I felt like I needed some redemption Since the knob was packed and ready to go, I asked the wife if I could accompany Bruce to the Partay. I think she noticed Bruce's Iron Maiden shirt and gave me 'the look' Anyway after much convincing...uh, groveling, she hesitantly agreed.

So we arrived at Aspen Ranch around 10pm and the festivities are well under way. My friend Dave had called and was on the way as well

Good! Because we needed a climber for the next days ride with the SF Wrek'n Crew, starring Delnorte, Frankie (of Frankie Flats) and their buddy Alex There has been some hostility between our neighbors to the north, what with knob's stereotyping and such. We figured it was time to put the swords down and settle the whole thing, with what nmtim would call a Bike-Off. So for one day there would be peace

Anyway, knob and I hiked his keg up the steepness to the shindig.

Things were already jumpin'

We finally met Dave and headed back up...check out the moon. It was blinding!

Bruce succeed in getting drunk and hungover

Before

After...it looks like he just swallowed a turd

I hiked up to the clearing and folks were still asleep

So I played with my camera. It was a perky morning

We finally got everyone motivated and drove the shuttle truck down to REM Village. Then met the rest of the bunch at Aspen Vista Rd

Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 09-15-2008 at 10:50 AM.

banned

The Ride...

...and we're off! The Wrek'n Crew was out the gate HOT, with Frankie leading the charge!

...but David was quick to react

Of course, we keep a few Bando's stocked with the necessary supplies and they typically hang out in the back of the pack and lend support 'as needed'

Delnorte was kind enough to distract us while Frankie hammered on up the road. Nice strategy!

Supra and Delnorte fighting it out on the last climb

Well maybe it was time to put the swords down all together. A little birdie showed up inspired a little PEACE in all of us

Then it was time to slog up the steepness again over to RR. Do you get a sense of the steepness here?

Once on top, the guns were down as we all had one thing in common at that point.....DH, Baby!

...and there was plenty to be had:

dropping in off of the top of RR

First tricky section and Delnorte cleans it no problema!

as does notaknob with some style points

Here Frankie nails another sweet section with Ricky hot on his wheel...fast and rocky!

Delnorte knocking at his back door

notaknob

Alex is enjoying every minute. Did I mention that this was his first time on either of these two trails?

Everyone made it down safely, well mostly, Ricky took a spill into the barbed wire near the end but did not sustain any injuries. It just seems like that dang fence beckons you all the way down!

Here David is giving a play by play..

After a quick lunch below the Upper Winsor TH, it was time to begin the first leg of REM

Here Delnorte and knob are boosting one of the many boulders near the top

This little feature will sneak up on you if you don't know where to look

Ricky seems recovered from his meeting with the barbed wire

and Alex seems like he is handling things well...

Delnorte missed it

Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 09-15-2008 at 10:54 AM.

banned

The Finally

Oh, but the next feature separates the mice from men Here is Ricky pulling the drop with ease

David manages the first section then bails before the drop

Delnorte seems to be having some issues

...and Alex has know idea what to expect

The finally is always the wall ride. It looks so intimidating, but most everyone hit it style on this day

Man, if these bikes could talk what would they be saying to each other after a ride like that?

Probably nothing as there is just a feeling after a ride like this where you are communicating on a much higher level....Thanks Fellas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great post 123

mtbr member
    I've been waiting for an update on the festival. Photos didn't disappoint. Wish I could have made it.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Bandolero

Free Beer

Free Beer was what I heard. Even better, Free Santa Fe Brewery Bitter. That's what encouraged me to show up.

This is what made it one of the best rides this year.

Mtn.Biker123 starting out on Ravens Ridge

Frankie in the trees

Alex enjoying the ride

delnorte on yummy trail

Mtn.Biker123 - Bandolero leading the pack

Frankie rocking the roots

supramk388 too fast

delnorte - in the groove

Alex - tree stealin my line

Bandoleros on the rocks

Dave - Taking the easy way

Alex -WTF is the trail?

Rock Roller!

Dave - Rock Roller!

Alex - Rock Roller!

supramk388 Rock Roller - twice as good!

FS put up new signs. You can actually tell where the trails are now!

Splish-Splash

Pileup

Alex - different route

Jump the ditch

WTF is he going?

Mtn.Biker123 - AKA Bandolero In Black

Dave - sequence
    Lining it up

Going in

Dismount and landing!

supramk388 doing it up right

I've got this?

supramk388 - You are cleared for take off

I've got no idea
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

banned
    Thanks Bruce! Good beer and good peeps as always here on MTBR. Like I told you, there aren't too many that can ride this ride exactly the way we did. Everyone was definitely on-point.

Thanks for picking up the sloppy camera work on my part...Great pics!

mtbr member
    This was one awesome weekend of riding. The Bandoleros made it even more fun. I think its safe to say the the Santa Fe Wreckin' Crew has formed an alliance with our band of brothers from the south.
    Also of note, David was rolling this whole ride with WAY TOO MANY spokes missing from his rear wheel. I can't believe his rear wheel survived the puinishing terrain all day!
    Let's do some more riding, fellas!

mtbr member

Wow

Great post Brian...looked like a better time than the last time we hit REM...but can REM be a bad time?...NO WAY!!

7MGTE
    Nice write up Bryan thanks again for calling me to get my lazy ass up to SF on Sunday. I would have just stayed home so it was sweet to roll with you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Biker123
    Everyone made it down safely, well mostly, Ricky took a spill into the barbed wire near the end but did not sustain any injuries. It just seems like that dang fence beckons you all the way down!
    Man that damn fence! I am still getting use to the wider bars, I have been using some XC bars that are not very wide. Funny thing is the fence was closer in the spots we had passed already so I guess I got to ahead of myself thinking the worst was behind me. I got really lucky on that bar grab though any sooner or later (+/- 2 secs) I would have smacked a tree!

Speaking of spills I was not the only one Any pics of Alex on the tuck and roll on the rock face?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388

Speaking of spills I was not the only one Any pics of Alex on the tuck and roll on the rock face?
    no such luck

RCC
    Bandolero
    Nice thread B! and awesome pictures as well
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    This was one awesome weekend of riding. The Bandoleros made it even more fun. I think its safe to say the the Santa Fe Wreckin' Crew has formed an alliance with our band of brothers from the south.
    Also of note, David was rolling this whole ride with WAY TOO MANY spokes missing from his rear wheel. I can't believe his rear wheel survived the puinishing terrain all day!
    Let's do some more riding, fellas!
    Awesome day it was cool meeting up with the Wreckin' Crew Glad you put on this event again I was at last years and it was a blast as well.

Myself and Bruce will be at Pajarito next weekend so we will look for you to do a few runs. I am looking forward to trying sum of the new stuff up their esp. the big rock roller

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That looks like it was a TON of fun.