Thread: Sfbfl 2008

mtbr member

Sfbfl 2008

A big thanks to all the support we had out there. Anne Marie, Shaila, Glenn, the guy in the blue ranger truck and Santa Fe Mountain Sports for all the stuff to eat and drink. The All the support sure made life easer. Also thanks to Jens and Lenny for getting this all put together. The weather was great, little rain and clouds and a nice breeze to keep us cool. Mike wasn’t with us and saw him on the way out of Pacheco Canyon. He said he got pounded with hale at Aspen Ranch.

I had one burped and pinched leak (very small hole) in my front UST tire on Dale Ball, around intersection 40. I had a little backup bottle of Stans and that did the trick. Then at the end of Dale Ball I blew right by the turn off to intersection 13 and got back to 17, DAM IT! So that’s where I met up with Mike and rode together to top of Chamisa till he got a flat. Then I was solo to the peak but on the way down I meet up with a big group, Tim, Brian, Andrew, Mark, Sean and a few others. These guy can down hill. Picked up Chris at the end of Rancho Viejo back to Rio Nambe. I was following Tim (the tool man) most of the way out to Pacheco Canyon. Refuled for the last time and started the clime. Sean and I got to Winsor first but Chris was right on our tails. Sean dropped us on the decent and didn’t see him again. Chris and I were together all the way to Sidewinder then he dropped me on the decent. When I hit the rode back to Dale Ball I blew right by the turn off and made it back to SF. I didn’t come all this way not to count so I turned around and rode back up to Dale Ball and finished out the ride. Sweet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by red5jedi; 07-08-2008 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    There are some more pic's
    Attached Images Attached Images

crap magnet
    Congrats to all who finished and special props to mtbr regulars ssweetleaf and makachut who rolled the whole enchilada on singlespeeds. Yowza!
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

banned
    What gear were they running?

Thread Pollution

great event

top secret gearing .I love riding the NMES. Here's what they say in the rules;
    "Believe us - we know these routes - and the vast majority of the participants know each other, therefore it will be pretty easy to determine if you are lying. This is friendly group and these venues provide a competitive outlet at a very reasonable price - free! We claim to have the highest return on investment for any event in New Mexico! If you understand these rules and can handle yourself in the back country, then the NMES will not be a problem for you. If you question your ability to complete such an event, we suggest you pre-ride the course and use that as your determination (that only YOU can make) for participating. "

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

What Gear?

You had to go and ask that question!
    Doesn't everyone know that the Royal Maka does not approve of that question? I think it's because he can't read the numbers on the cogs or can't count that high. I did see him actually ride a bike, though. Until then, I thought all he knew was bloggity blog stuff and obscure literary references and social science.

Good luck!

C Cow

PS: I did enjoy riding with him, and he's my new best friend (as far as I know).

Mythical Creature
    I posted a quickie report on the NMES site, and wanted to say hey! again to those I saw out there. For those not familair with all the trails included in this insane, epic ride - welcome to the pain we call home here in Fanta Se! Rocks, steep grades, steep rocky grades, stunning vistas, cool mountain creeks, and some of the sweetest, flowing trails in the state. I am sorry I couldn't start with the main group, but figured you all would come storming by me before I hit Hyde Park Road on the way up! From the photos it looked like a Big Wheel Racing training event with all those Rasta colored kits.

Of all the official unofficial stuff, the benchmark of 8 hours and 15 minutes has been set. At 9 hours 37 minutes - I was cooked but glad to have kept it steady the whole way. Felt like crap climbing Aspen Vista - but felt great climbing Pacheco, then started seeing tracers and pinwheels (and I think Elvis) on Sidewinder. I was so wacked out, I too zoomed right by the last Dale Ball cut-off - but realized it before Gonzales Road and pedalled back up the road and finished all (unofficially) proper like.

I hung out at 2nd Street as long as I could but had to get home for family check-in time. I must have just missed Jens and the express train! Nothing like riding up Cerrillos Road and getting walloped by hail, but my bike and I were nice and rinsed off by the time I got home. After getting the go-ahead, I tossed my little guy Victor into the car to go retrieve our supplly/kit out on Pacheco Canyon Road. It was great to see folks steady crankin' away out in Chupadero, and was glad to hand off whatever supplies we had left in our ice chest. Hell of a job sticking with it everyone!

glen
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Mythical Creature
    Posted a report over at my humble blog HERE.

"...I spun over to 2nd Street Brewery, the official start/finish locale, punched the start button on my stopwatch and turned east, heading towards the first challenge of the day - Atalya Mountain. 1700 feet of climbing (so they tell me) up some of the steepest, most sustained, and nasty single-track in all of Santa Fe! Oof...."
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -