mtbr member

SF trail conditions twitter feed now live, what about your area?

To deflect questions we get on our rideshare email list, our FB page and other ways (MTBR), SFFTS has added a twitter feed that folks can post trail conditions to. Go to our homepage and you'll see it on the left. Click "more" below to get more posts. This would be good for other clubs/organizations to do too (ABQ, Gallup, LA, Taos, ...). In the short term, other regions can simply agree on a hashtag and one can also do a search for that tag on twitter. E.g., if ABQ folks decide to use #abqtrails, anyone can send a tweet/email with the format below and if a rider does a twitter search on that tag they will see all the posts sent with that tag. I just sent a test tweet and you can check it out.

Here is how you post conditions yourself:

It's a twitter based feed, but don't worry if you don't have a twitter account.
    Posts happen three ways:
    1-You can send an email to sftrails@twittermail.com (max. 140 characters and it must contain #sftrails in the body of the email)
    2-compose a Tweet containing #sftrails
    3-if you have a twitter account with SMS enabled you can also send a text to 40404. Thus no need for internet service to post (like when you are having a beer in a remote parking lot after your ride, it's easy to send a quick text). Be sure to include #sftrails.
    Any of these will appear on the Trail Conditions Twitter feed.

Please format your tweets and emails:
    "Location, Condition (good, fair, poor), Specific Note(s), #sftrails".
    Example: La Tierra, Good, NW flats still a little wet-avoid if not frozen, #sftrails
    Note: "#sftrails" is REQUIRED for your trail update to appear on the website with any of the posting options.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Also, if you don't have a twitter account and just want to be able to text updates, it is SUPER easy to sign up with only your phone via these instructions:

https://support.twitter.com/articles...-phone-via-sms

One more thing, the SFFTS page only updates every 30 minutes.

mtbr member
    very cool Cabra.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    That's pretty darn slick. Thanks for doing that. Glad this storm didn't saturate La Tierra too much...thinking a ride is possible afterall on Saturday.

I <3 NM
    Any way to display a DATE next to the condition reports?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    Any way to display a DATE next to the condition reports?
    The twitter feed sends how old the post is, and that info shows on the trail condition detail page. Twitter #sftrails | Santa Fe Fat Tire Society You can also get to the details page by clicking on "more" below the conditions in the left column.

Almost all phones will let you send a text message to an email address so you can send an update w/o twitter by sending a text to sftrails@twittermail.com with the #sftrails hashtag.

mtbr member
    Myself and a few other riders have been updating trail conditions. I was surprised after having a pretty dry trailwork session on Saturday that my ride on Sunday had to be cut short due to mud. 26-20 going CCW was real wet. Any loops out there that are ready for riding? Please send an email to sftrails@twittermail.com if you encounter any bad conditions in SF.

I also posted an update about the DJ and Trash Pit areas. Santa Fe Fat Tire Society Have another post about dirtwork comin up.

mtbr member
    Bumping this to remind folks to check here and to post trail updates. ABQ folks could also use #abqtrails and then riders just need to check that hashtag on twitter itself since a club isn't hosting a feed. Looks like #losalamostrails and #galluptrails are also good ones since no one is using those already. #taostrails IS currently being used for trail conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Does anyone know the condition of the Dairy Area / Nambe Badlands / Gringo Acres?