Bandolero Crew N.M.

Search and rescue at Otero

Got a cal from my wife as she was going into Albq early today. She said there were lots of Search and Rescue people at the Otero PL. Just seen in the news that they are looking for a lost Mtn Biker. Sure hope they are not injured. Anyone know more info?
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

I <3 NM
    Just heard the same.. damn.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride alone most of the time and this thing scares me. I make sure to mention where I am going and try to have live updates going from my phone while riding.

I <3 NM
    One thing that makes me a bit jittery; da bears.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    One thing that makes me a bit jittery; da bears.
    Yep we got da bears. What worries me a bit more are the lions and tigers and bears Oh my!

Actually just the mountain lions. Say pics of a near 6 foot female mountain lion near Otero a year or so back. Since I'm normally solo would really hate to ride up on one or worse trigger a predatory response.

Regardless whoever ended up getting lost out there I hope they are found safe and secure.

Genius
    Yup. Da Lions. I can handle a bear one on one. At least bears fight fair and give you a chance to get out of the area. Bears will size you up, face to face, mano y mano and then if you back down they will let you go. But a lion is a different battle. Lions are sneaky; you wont even know its there until its already on you. Lion's don't fight fair, they fight dirty.

No wonder I hate cats.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Ah, how a phone call at 5:30 in the morning makes you jump outta bed! I come back from fire detail and this is what I get first thing but didn't even get to ride the motorcycle or nothing. The individual took a user-created trail (3 Bottles I think) while riding solo in the evening/night, got lost, cell phone died, spent the night roaming with a flat tire. They're alright, we located them on FS Rd 530 around 7am a little tired from the night but otherwise safe.

I ride alone all the time but on trail systems familiar to me and I usually (usually...) leave a somewhat detailed plan behind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cell phones are not a silver bullet. For evening rides I carry 2 tubes, CO2, patch kit, Stan's goo, pump, multitool, flashlight, jacket, food, and too much other junk. No wonder I"m so slow...

mtbr member
    any idea why S14 was closed just before the Ranger station around 3 yesterday?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    any idea why S14 was closed just before the Ranger station around 3 yesterday?
    A truck with crushed rock overturned on one of the curves just south of the ranger station. Lots of rock on the road. I think the road was closed for a while.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

I <3 NM
    Busy day on S14.

Genius
    If there is still rock available, let's take some up to Tunnel and "replant" rocks in the sanitized sections.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole' Bradon View Post
    Glad he made it out alive. Screw the lions and bears! He coulda exploded himself with those unexploded ordinances.

That was almost me one night, as a few of you surely remember.
    Help! dont hang up bro.
    I dont see too well at night and ended up looping three bottles 3 times in the dark. missing my turn every time. Some nice bandos came back for me

Stucco Bucket
    I got negative feedback for my story about almost spending the night in otero.
    This place sucks. Ill come back in 6 months and see if theres any mountain bikers around

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    This place sucks. Ill come back in 6 months and see if theres any mountain bikers around
    Jealous Haters gunna hate.

mtbr member
    Getting lost sucks. I feel for whoever it was. Glad they made it out ok.

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    Ignore it. I get neg and positive rep on the same post. I will on this post as well and I don't even know even really know anyone. I am loner on the trail. I just come here to shoot the sh!t. Our venue is a confused motley crew.

mtbr member
    May 2011

the lost guy

Here is a map of how I got stuck back in otero canyon if you're interested. The lost route is red. Other trails are green. I couldn't find a way out on the west most N/S road.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yea, thanks for the heads up. looking back I'm kind of amazed that worked as well as it did