mtbr member
    Mar 2012

In Search of.... Awesome Flow Trail Goodness

Trying to plan all the awesomeness for the summer and early fall while hoping that we don't burn to a crispy ash flake and have to ride pavement.. "blech"

So, appealing to all the trail hounds here in the southwest...
    Do we have anything like the Coviglia Flow Trail in St. Moritz here in the southwest.... or in the states for that matter?

video link:
    https://vimeo.com/52862747

I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want

mtbr member
    Yes. It's called Trestle Bike Park, in Winter Park, CO. Flowiest place I've ever been.
    Angel Fire will have some flow trails, too, but if you want tons of flow and less chunk, go to Winter Park.
    Also, if you shuttle Pike's Peak, there's some long DH trails that resemble those in the video. It costs $10 per person to drive in and you'll want somebody to drop you off at the top, so you can ride back to a car at the bottom of the trail in town. I shuttled one of the less-known/less popular DH runs there:
    There was about 30 minutes of steep hike-a-bike uphill in the ride, but it was the longest shuttle ride I've ever done. It's not all flow - some good chunk too.

mtbr member
    I'm planning to hit Trestle when I'm up there for the CB Enduro race. Stoked.
    OMG, I have to post this again. One of the best vids evaaaaahhhhh.

Report: Most College Males Admit To Regularly Getting Stoked - YouTube

nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

Airborne Flight Crew
    For sure, Trestle is sick with flow (and stoke too). Can't wait to get back up there.

That video was sick "Rad-Ass-Hoodie"
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtieterror View Post
    Trying to plan all the awesomeness for the summer and early fall while hoping that we don't burn to a crispy ash flake and have to ride pavement.. "blech"

So, appealing to all the trail hounds here in the southwest...
    Do we have anything like the Coviglia Flow Trail in St. Moritz here in the southwest.... or in the states for that matter?

video link:
    https://vimeo.com/52862747

I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want I want

Closer, "natural," and free:

Monarch Crest Trail west of Salida, CO. Starts at 12,000+ (top of the pass) and goes up (but not too much) from there. Loooooong ridge above treeline with AWSOME views, good flow, then multiple options to drop in from there for several thousand feet of descent. Everything from rocky, technical stuff to flowy buff stuff, up to ~36 miles in length. Shuttle required unless you're doping and want to Lance Armstrong your ass back up Hwy 50 for a 6,000+ vertical feet and 50+ mile day.

As with all alpine rides, you want to be off the ridge by ~11am and done with your ride by ~2pm or risk T-storms and hail. Well...in normal years, anyway...this drought sucks.

Grab a trail map in one of the outfitters in Salida. I'm at work, or I'd give you the name of the one I have -- it's awesome -- it has trail descriptions and annotated pics of all the junctions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    you guys rock! I'm gonna hafta hit up Salida and already been looking at a weekend at Winter Park.. Gotta get some flow on... plus they got water up that ways.. so less chance of forest closures...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You Know I'm totally TOTALLY STOKED Right NOW! Just thinking about the flow and the rush...

Ah sh*t.. I guess that makes me a statistic....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
    Closer, "natural," and free:

Grab a trail map in one of the outfitters in Salida. I'm at work, or I'd give you the name of the one I have -- it's awesome -- it has trail descriptions and annotated pics of all the junctions.

The map is cleverly named "Monarch Crest Trail" by Absolute Bikes. I got mine at Salida Mountain Sports, but you can probably order one online.

Some video grabs:

In Search of....  Awesome Flow Trail Goodness-monarch2-copy.jpgIn Search of....  Awesome Flow Trail Goodness-greencreek1-copy.jpgIn Search of....  Awesome Flow Trail Goodness-monarch_1-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ooooooo

I ride with tools
    Another great one is Phil's World just east of Cortez. Plus there is a whole lot of good riding and camping further east along the Dolores River.

Airborne Flight Crew
    You could try Sand Canyon. A few short climbs, not much elevation change, and you get to ride right up to some ruins. Lil' Bando's might enjoy that. Not a lot of shade. DON'T take the trail to "Sand Canyon Pueblo", that one has a climb and as is a lot of hike-a-bike. Take the route to the left which is *I think* West Rock Canyon. There are occasional spurs where you can walk right up a ruin or two...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by *bandrada* View Post
    I'm taking the li'l Bandos on a Moab trip here in the next few weeks. Gonna hit up Phil's World for the first time. Any other recommendations for some good single speed tracks in the area?
    Go play on the freeway

Airborne Flight Crew
    Not of Phils, it's actually a state monument or something similar, on the other side of Cortez. Pretty sure you can't camp there though. I've never really camped around there - I know you can camp at Mancos State Park, and I think McPhee Reservoir, but not sure it's open this "early".

Camping at Mancos | Colorado Parks and Wildlife
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Flight Crew
    Alien Run is okay, IMO it more a winter riding getaway though...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm supposed to head up a ride for a bunch of videogamers (ie: geeky teenagers) who ride a few times a year. They wanted to hit Durango trails (which would suck to watch them push and whine all day). They've decided that they wanna do Phils - I'm not expecting to get too much stoke (hard to do while babysitting) but maybe some baby stoke in a few areas. Plan to run the SS...

Any recommendations for which loops to hit would be good... I'm sure your 'lil bandos will out shred my nerds.. so let me know what they enjoyed. Muchas Gracias