Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Hey, wait up!
    Reputation: LCdaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,456

    Screamer - Gallup

    ???



    How was? Wha happa?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    ???



    How was? Wha happa?
    Awesome ... course, weather, results, support. A great production.

    Wicked turnout in sport50, too. Three minutes faster this year got me 4 places further back. I placed the same in Sport40 as I did in sport50, and at a higher percentile in both sport30 and sport40 than in sport50. It might've been even more impressive, but a couple of the better 50+ riders opted for SS. I have never been right in front of, or right behind somebody from beginning to end before. A very competitive race from my perspective, and a great way to wrap up my NMORS season.

    Next up ... CHUPA!

  3. #3
    Hey, wait up!
    Reputation: LCdaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    Awesome ... course, weather, results, support. A great production.

    Wicked turnout in sport50, too. Three minutes faster this year got me 4 places further back. I placed the same in Sport40 as I did in sport50, and at a higher percentile in both sport30 and sport40 than in sport50. It might've been even more impressive, but a couple of the better 50+ riders opted for SS. I have never been right in front of, or right behind somebody from beginning to end before. A very competitive race from my perspective, and a great way to wrap up my NMORS season.

    Next up ... CHUPA!
    Cool

    I was sad to miss it this year. It is one of my faves - when it isn't raining.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

    New Mexico Off Road Series

    Dirt Rocks!

    Let Go, and Let Bike.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    Cool

    I was sad to miss it this year. It is one of my faves - when it isn't raining.

    You probably don't care, but you missed free post-race beer, too.

    How'd that new chip system work at HTH? As far as I know, it worked well at Gallup. In fact, in spite of a valiant effort on the part of several folks doing it manually, I think they would've had some problems in their results if they hadn't had the electronic version. I know one guy was not listed as having finished at all until the electronic results were posted.

  5. #5
    Hey, wait up!
    Reputation: LCdaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    You probably don't care, but you missed free post-race beer, too.

    How'd that new chip system work at HTH? As far as I know, it worked well at Gallup. In fact, in spite of a valiant effort on the part of several folks doing it manually, I think they would've had some problems in their results if they hadn't had the electronic version. I know one guy was not listed as having finished at all until the electronic results were posted.
    I always care about missing free beer.

    The chip system didn't really get online at the HTH. It was sort of a test and debugging rehearsal for using it at Gallup. I'm glad to hear it went off smooth for the Screamer.

    The HTH results were done manually the old fashioned way.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

    New Mexico Off Road Series

    Dirt Rocks!

    Let Go, and Let Bike.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    614
    Results:

    http://www.squashblossomclassic.com/...er/results.php

    58-year-old Ralph Winebarger finishing 4th overall in Expert, while positively crushing 2 elite 50-year-olds. Man, I want whatever he's drinking. You shoulda been in that mix, Karl.

    If I'd have known it was going to be the state championship race for 50+, I might've remembered to say my prayers before going to bed.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: don_o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83
    Since my girlfriend bailed on racing, she got some photos. I've never really ridden in Gallup much and the trail was fantastic. I will definitely go back.

    Racers lining up at the start; great turnout.

    gallup1.jpg

    I'm number 64 really wishing I didn't line up at the back of my class. Passing on the singletrack was close to impossible and I think I swallowed a gallon of dust...cough. The Kona dude has the right idea...breath through the nose.

    gallup.jpg

    The opposite trailhead where I was finally able to get around a few people on the switchbacks.

    gallup2.jpg

  8. #8
    I <3 NM
    Reputation: MTBNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,056
    Definatly on my list for next year!
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by don_o
    Since my girlfriend bailed on racing, she got some photos. ...
    Your friend not only got a great shot of you climbing on the west end, but also did a helluva job of getting there from the location of the previous shot before you did. I'm not sure how she managed that, unless the second gate was open on the other end of the road, but she's obviously no slouch. Maybe you could get her to help you with your start.

    Really, that's a great picture, and the west end is obviously the ultimate place for Screamer photos. I'm amazed that that's the first one I've ever seen.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9
    Bob:

    It would have been nice to be "in that mix" but 10 races was enough for Rose and me this year. Great race on your part taking 3 minutes off. Both of our groups were much faster this year than last.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    48
    i was leading the 50+ cat 1 and only got crushed cause i cut my sidewall and had to ride over a mile before i could put a tube in! Ralph is very tough though! i was impressed! mike szabo

  12. #12
    Real Estate Guru
    Reputation: RichieRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    110
    The real test will be at RAR. Ralph has won it 8 times in a row. Mike and Karl need to get out there to give Ralph some heat. I know Mike is going, but come on Karl, one more race won't hurt.

    Oh ya, here is a link to a crap load of race picts from Gallup
    http://picasaweb.google.com/BuynSell...eat=directlink

    Rich

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: don_o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83
    LOL. She took the interstate and even had time to stop for gas. You're right, I really need to work on my start!


    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    Your friend not only got a great shot of you climbing on the west end, but also did a helluva job of getting there from the location of the previous shot before you did. I'm not sure how she managed that, unless the second gate was open on the other end of the road, but she's obviously no slouch. Maybe you could get her to help you with your start.

    Really, that's a great picture, and the west end is obviously the ultimate place for Screamer photos. I'm amazed that that's the first one I've ever seen.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9
    Ralph has won the Road Apple 8 times in a row? That is an impressive record. It makes me want to get off my lazy rear and show up to give it a try. Family plans (and sloth) may win the day. Clearly both Mikes need to show to defend the honor of the regular NMORS 50+ contingent.

    I have heard that the RAR course is quite non-technical, almost road-like is this true? Road-like courses are not my strong point.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by nmkarl
    .... I have heard that the RAR course is quite non-technical, almost road-like is this true? Road-like courses are not my strong point.
    There's almost 4 miles of dirt road at the very beginning, almost 2 miles of highway in the middle, followed by a long stretch of graded dirt road, and another 1.5mi or so of pavement toward the end. Other than that, it's smooth trail of varying width. The only rocks on the course are of the beginner variety on a mildly twisting s/t, and come in the last quarter of the race.

    What it is known for are the whoops and a few motorcycle hills, mostly in the first half of the race. Also an increasing amount of deep cyclocross-type sand and a poorly marked course (in the same area every year) that invariably results in one or more out-of-towners getting seriously lost. It's also very well known for the quality of the field (think CO) and the fact that Ned has been known to say that it's his favorite race.

    Except for the sand and the motorcycle hills, I'd call it a very fast course. I measured total ascent for 30 miles at 2360', which comes in the form of 1000 whoops, each 2' tall.

    Actually there's 600' difference between the high and low points, which are 15mi apart.

    Course does not play into the strengths of a Sandia Man that has been known to bite off, chew up and swallow, any rock that's ever caused him to dab.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5876
    i was leading the 50+ cat 1 and only got crushed cause i cut my sidewall and had to ride over a mile before i could put a tube in! Ralph is very tough though! i was impressed! mike szabo
    Sorry, Mike. Due to his fast time relative to the other Cat1's, it wasn't obvious that you must've had a misfortune. Didn't mean to rub it in.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    223

    Man vs. Machine

    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    You probably don't care, but you missed free post-race beer, too.

    How'd that new chip system work at HTH? As far as I know, it worked well at Gallup. In fact, in spite of a valiant effort on the part of several folks doing it manually, I think they would've had some problems in their results if they hadn't had the electronic version. I know one guy was not listed as having finished at all until the electronic results were posted.
    The auto system got a few finishers out of order, that could only be fixed by the results of the manual method. The system has a weakness, just as all automated scoring systems. There aren't many, if any, officials who will rely solely on an automated system; the risks are too great.

    Moo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •