Thread: Screamer

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Screamer

Can't very well have a race without a freakin' thread.

Can't very well have a race without a website either:
    http://www.squashblossomclassic.com/screamer/index.php

Really lookin' forward to that beautiful High Desert course, and with warmer temps and less wind than last year.

Eleven down, 2 to go. Hang in there, legs, the fun ones are comin' up.
    Last edited by Garson; 09-23-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Hey garson, hope you have a great time. How can you not? You guys are a good bunch of people. So go tear it up.Wish I could be there,But Im off to Moab for a few days. See you on the trail

Hey, wait up!

Oh Krap

Due to some frame cracks in my main ride, my singlespeed and I have become better acquainted. I'll be taking it up to Gallup, where I'll be huffnpuffing along the singlespeed course. WHAT?!?! Singlespeeds do the 31 mile expert course? Whose numb-ass idea was this Advanced Single Speed category?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    Due to some frame cracks in my main ride ...
    Dave, this just ain't fittin' for a guy of your stature. If you'd rather ride my backup FSR, just let me know. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the amenities (sid, full xtr, crossmax), especially compared to your rigid ss. I'm leaving for Gallup tomorrow, and I'd be happy to take it along if I know you're interested in using it. On the other hand, I know you're a man of principle, so I won't be surprised if you're willing to take the bullet for riderkind.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    Dave, this just ain't fittin' for a guy of your stature. If you'd rather ride my backup FSR, just let me know. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the amenities (sid, full xtr, crossmax), especially compared to your rigid ss. I'm leaving for Gallup tomorrow, and I'd be happy to take it along if I know you're interested in using it. On the other hand, I know you're a man of principle, so I won't be surprised if you're willing to take the bullet for riderkind.
    If my buddy smokin' ray can rock the single dingle ASS style, so can I damnit.

(thanks much for the offer though)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If my buddy smokin' ray can rock the single dingle ASS style, so can I damnit.
    Somehow, I'd have been surprised at any other response. And just when I thought there was nothing else you could do to guarantee your place in history.

Be sure and save something for the post-race celebration.

banned
    Good luck G & D! I can't wait to get you out on some on the new stuff Garson. Hurry up and get this racing shiz out of your system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    ... Hurry up and get this racing shiz out of your system.
    Not sure about getting it out of my system, but I'll soon run out of races to do. I'm just now getting my legs back from Cedro. It's all your fault. You told me to rip it, so I ripped it, and I think I ripped every muscle in my legs in the process.

Thought maybe you'd have one of your infamous "aid" stations set up out there. But I'm glad you weren't there to see me humping it up Coyote and 5 Hills. Although, I managed them without a dab, I wouldn't have wanted anyone I know to see me sobbing the whole time.

Thread Pollution
    Maka's predictions for the race. Cameron whips Big Dave on the singlespeed,and McCalla wins over the dominator.
    Taking bets

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Notables ...

A huge to the Squash Blossom Screamer crew for yet another super venue. Great course, marking, results, volunteers, free post-race beer and a double for the painted beer glass instead of the usual t-shirt.

Awesome performace by DaveH on the long course atop the rigid ss. In spite of the unfriendly distance, 2 flat tires, and getting caught in a late rain, he still managed to finish shivering, covered in sandy muck and grinning big , as only super Dave can under those circumstances.

Very respectable time and 4th place by Big Stu in his sport class debut. He'd have bested both George G. and I last year with his time. But with the fear of Big Stu nipping at our buts, George and I both shaved 13 minutes each off our last year's time (41 sec/mi), while finishing mere seconds apart for the second year in a row.

Plenty more notables, including everybody that showed up to race, but they're mainly just the usual great riders turning in the usual great performances , as reflected in the results, which will be posted very soon.

Hey, wait up!
    Ahhh - good times, good times.

The Gallupians presented a smooth, organized and well supported event. Post race free beer is a definite benny.

I worked harder than I thought. I took it easy riding my ride through the first loop. I got to the junction where Sports go home and ASSers go out for another 12 miles, and I thought about bailing out to the finish. I was off the back anyway and had already fixed a front flat just after 3rd Mesa as the sport pack was passing me with ease.

But I felt ok and had at least another hour in the legs. At the junction, I was calculating a 3 hour race time. Incidentally, the skies were clear and all looked fine at this point.

I was rushing the downspots and banging the front tire (rigid fork) pretty good into lots of rough rocks. I got another leak in the front tube that I kept at bay with regular stops for CO2.

As I rounded 3rd Mesa to begin the return to the finish, THE SKIES OPENED UP. Rain water was sheeting across the trail. Gullies were running. And mud was made. Lots of thick, sloppy, slippy, gooey, sticky, icky m-u-d. Thunder was thundering. Lightening was lightening - like really loud and close. I was thinking being on the face and ridge of a mesa in an active thunderstorm was not my smartest moment - but what was I going to do? So I kept slogging.

I love my sweet, rocky, sandy, gritty, fast draining, non-clogging southern NM desert trails.

In contrast, the Gallup trails have a strange phenomenon known as clay, sections of which are liberally mixed in with sandstone and sand. It seemed whenever the trail went up, there was a clay section. The clay would glom onto the tires until the v-brakes and chainstay were choked and the tires wouldn't rotate. Pushing the bike didn't work. I had to hoist the mud laden bike, which now weighed maybe 45 pounds and carry it up the slippery, muddy slopes. When it leveled out, I would scoop out the mud and try to pedal mash in a generally forward direction.

This went on for quite some time. After a while, I finally hit the sandy rollers out and was able to escape to the dirt road and bail to the finish area.

If I hadn't had the flats, I would have been at least 15 minutes ahead and would have missed the most and the worst of the storm.

Oh well, Nature Happens.

Despite the travails, I didn't feel that knackered. I hung out for awhile and enjoyed post-race festivities under clear, dry skies.

After resting a bit at the hotel, I tried to move and my legs is wiped. So I certainly got a good workout for my time. My Garmin says I burned over 3,600 calories.

It was great to see good bike friends again, and thanks for the generous thoughts and words. I look forward to another great season in '09.

PS, did I mention they had FREE BEER

dave/h
    Last edited by LCdaveH; 09-28-2008 at 06:41 AM.

Hey, wait up!
    Before bikewash
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Wow that's thick! Makes me cringe to think about the sound your bike must have been making.
    there can be only one... track

breathe dirt
    George and I both shaved 13 minutes each off our last year's time (41 sec/mi), while finishing mere seconds apart for the second year in a row.

breathe dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFlyR
    George and I both shaved 13 minutes each off our last year's time (41 sec/mi), while finishing mere seconds apart for the second year in a row.
    Question to self: Why did I finish a few seconds behind him both years
    At least we both podiumed. Nice trophy bowls.

mtbr member
    A huge to the Squash Blossom Screamer crew for yet another super venue. Great course, marking, results, volunteers, free post-race beer and a double for the painted beer glass instead of the usual t-shirt.

Awesome performace by DaveH on the long course atop the rigid ss. In spite of the unfriendly distance, 2 flat tires, and getting caught in a late rain, he still managed to finish shivering, covered in sandy muck and grinning big , as only super Dave can under those circumstances.

Very respectable time and 4th place by Big Stu in his sport class debut. He'd have bested both George G. and I last year with his time. But with the fear of Big Stu nipping at our buts, George and I both shaved 13 minutes each off our last year's time (41 sec/mi), while finishing mere seconds apart for the second year in a row.

Plenty more notables, including everybody that showed up to race, but they're mainly just the usual great riders turning in the usual great performances , as reflected in the results, which will be posted very soon.
    I agree completely!
    I was watching that rain storm coming in. I made it in about 15 minutes before it hit! Some of the riders coming in later looked hurtin' (but smiling; we all clapped for them!), and their bikes were trashed.
    That second lap wears you out, even WITH gears!!!
    Keifer
    Farmington

mnt bike laws of physics

Are you a psychic?

Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    Maka's predictions for the race. Cameron whips Big Dave on the singlespeed,and McCalla wins over the dominator.
    Taking bets
    From what Smokin' Ray told me, your predictions were right on. How you know so much?
    i though Cameron usually rides a geared bike.

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    From what Smokin' Ray told me, your predictions were right on. How you know so much?
    Super Genius,Devo can explain it. hey watch this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    Taking bets
    I got spizanked for sure...but the way I was feeling and the broken pedal wouldn't categorize it as a whipping for me. I was pleased at how close I/we was/were. I actually was in third for a while. Travis was putting the boogie down on me at the end.

I'm not sure if I'm glad I use the cheap beaters or if I used more expensive ones that this would never happen....or if it did, I'd be out more $$ or more ticked off.

What a great season. At last check on the standings something like 54 people entered the SS class at one point during the season. We had the largest field at the last 3 events and I wouldn't be surprise if Farmington will be the same. I kind of wish I could make it up there, but it's out of the budget and the end of the first 6 week grading period....and I'm cooked.

I wish Cameron had come down for Horny Toad. That would have been a fun one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Cam usually rides SS....why he didn't at Socorro, I don't know. Just before Cedro he stripped out his brake boss on his fork on his SS.

Blog this...!

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    PS, did I mention they had FREE BEER

dave/h
    Not just free beer....a keg of 1554! And race glasses to use as a drinking device!

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    We have results, "raw" though they may be:

http://www.squashblossomclassic.com/...er/results.php

I'm recalling a 5-min lag for sport males, but forgot to stop the Garmin in all the excitement. Anybody remember the start delays?

In any case, super job by the organizers, and some rippin' fast times by the riders. The times are so much faster than last year. Is that the difference the weather made?

Wilson, did you feel 6.5 min. faster this year? Wow.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

Wilson, did you feel 6.5 min. faster this year? Wow.
    Not even close. I felt like crap....stopped once to let my HR come back down from a potentially deadly hospital visit...another stop to see what was wrong with my pedal....and another to see that my left set screw on my dropout had drifted forward and my massive quadage had slipped the dropout forward putting the tire into the chainstay. I was super tired from a hard week at school and did not expect to go that fast. I felt like I had raced Horny Toad the day before. Minus the stops I think I was 4 minutes down off Cam...and a lot of that time came trying to repass people I had passed before my stops.

It's interesting how the teachings of the great coaches and physiologists out there always seem to prove themselves true. I wasn't trying to maintain any sort of peak for any races, but I naturally peaked for Cedro and Horny Toad. Trying to extend it another week proved futile.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    ... the teachings of the great coaches and physiologists out there always seem to prove themselves true. ...
    I think they'd agree that all-out mtb racing is not something that can be done every 6-7 days either. I also looked forward to Cedro all year, gave it more than I ever thought I had, and came away with more than I ever thought I would, but I've cramped in the last few miles in both HTH and the HDS, and I've never experienced that before Cedro. This has been a great year, but I'm really kinda looking forward to the conclusion of that 13th race, as I am just barely recovering week to week right now - especially since there'll be one more big kahuna down your way a week later. The Wilson's will be at Chupa this year, won't they?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

nope..

. The Wilson's will be at Chupa this year, won't they?
    Sadly, the Wilson's will not be participating in the Chupa event this year. Too many sketchy manuvers in Juarez this year. Corrupt police+pissed-off cartel=potential mishap with innocent gringo. We like to support local racing and Chupa is a great event so, when the 'war' cools down along the border we will once again dive into the insanity of Chupa.
    I beat my husband at the CreamPuff 100.
    Relavant blog: