No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005

SBT - One more time!

A fellow rider really wants to ride the SBT this year. This weekend looks like it just might work. Long range weather forecast looks like things will be dry and low 60s THIS Sunday. Might be able to make it work!

We're interested in the "half boundary" option, starting at Flechado pass. It's only my buddy and me at this point, coming in from Los Alamos. We could take two cars so that we can shuttle one to the start, but if any local (cough :: Greg :: cough) wants to shuttle and/or ride with us, we could conserve fuel and carpool.

As this is a public message, anyone is welcome. We're thinking of meeting at the bean around 8-8:30 (THIS Sunday, the 18th), which will get us to the pass ready to roll shortly after 9. Barring any major obstacles, we're hoping to finish in not-too-fast-not-too-slow 6 hours.

Post up if interested! What's your availability Greg?

banned
    Have you accessed the SBT from TR 1? It's a tough navigation.

That said, it's one of the most intense climbing efforts I have ever encountered. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Oh you might be able to talk me into it. I'll do EBT, like Bry says, it is brutal.

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Have you accessed the SBT from TR 1? It's a tough navigation.

That said, it's one of the most intense climbing efforts I have ever encountered. Have fun!
    Sure have! For three years I've tortured myself on the double boundary trail ride. Flechado pass is the "half way" point. It's always fun to be sitting in the dirt after riding 30-some-odd miles, trying to choke down some food and not to think of the pain ahead. We'll probably want to do the shorter (and easier) section of the loop to Bull Meadow - is that the west side of it?

The climbing is indeed intense. [SIZE="1"]not[/SIZE]Looking forward to it!

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Oh you might be able to talk me into it. I'll do EBT, like Bry says, it is brutal.
    Ya sure you're not tired of this ride yet? You've probably done it 10 times this year.

If you could sag us up to the pass, that would be awesome. There'll be an Eskes beer with your name on it. I might also bring up a bottle of three of homebrew - maybe a mead if you're into that?

banned
    I'm just gonna throw this out there.

SBT is an awesome ride, but from where your at the Archuleta ride is not much more of a drive, just as tough, and much more scenic. I could get you some directions if you can't get them from Von. You won't get lost and it's some serious back country. Plus the weather should hold for another epic weekend. If Archuleta isn't enough you could hit up an out and back on the CDT from Cumbres that we cleared this year. It's only about 8 more highway miles up the road and you might not get another chance this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've done it a few times, but I like it. Bryan has a good suggestion as well.

banned
    If they do happen to opt for this ride, I highly recommend that you tag along.

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005

Fantastic ride!

I'm glad everyone had a blast up in Chama. But I am also glad I opted for the EBT/SBT option. Up to this point the only time I've been on the south boundary was after 60 miles of riding, with the body aching and the mind completely scrambled. This ride was so different from that. I got to hit Elliot Barker with fresh legs and had much more fun. Then we started on the swoopy downhill. This is when I could really tell a difference. It was like riding a different trail. The weather was perfect, low 70s and not a cloud in the sky. The aspens were still dropping golden leaves around us. The whole effect was amazing.

Only stopped a couple times, so not many pictures. I won't give up the double boundary challenge, but I sure hope to do this "half boundary" ride more often.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SBT - One more time!-39.jpg  

SBT - One more time!-40.jpg  

SBT - One more time!-45.jpg  

banned
    Nice!