Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saturday ride "king of the mountain" (x-post=Turner)

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  MTBNate 
#1 ·
Our group now has four RFX'i. notaknob was the last to finally drink the 'cool aid':thumbsup: and I think he likes it. He went from a 3" travel Epic to the RFX. Let me tell ya that it was a smooth transition. Anyway this is not a 'first ride on the RFX' post by any means. Rather just a couple of shots of knob on his new trusty steed.

The Ride:

Started on a little trail called Tree Spring in the East Mtn. side of the Sandias. Plan was to head up-and-over to the ski area and disrupt the dirt roadies as they raced the King of the Mountain. Basically this race consists of an 8 mile climb from the ski basin to the ridge. Its not a huge gain something like 1000', but has some long sustained climbing with technical bits thrown in at the most inopportune moments.

Anyway one of our very own Bandoleros was racing, so we wanted to show our support.

The only way we know how, with booze.

I stationed myself at one of the tecky bits and watched the action unfold:D

The first guy through was Damian. He's our state champ and I believe ranked top 10 in the country...he had no problems with this section..Way to go dirt roadie;)

After he went through we made it a little more interesting.

"Don't knock over the beer". The little stump was sure to be a handhold for some, as they attempted the steep incline.

Here is 2 & 3. 2 was not so amused as he was concentrating on cleaning the section, but 3 was eyeballing the can of Dale's:thumbsup:

I sorta lost track after that as me a knob starting hitting the hard stuff:)
*Notice the half pint of JD?

There was only one fella who was killing the SS class who stopped at our little trailside bar, but the arse did not even leave a tip. I didn't snap him, but not too far behind was Bandolero Rick:thumbsup: Any other time he would have cleaned the section, but he was spent.

There is no shame in his game. I think he passed the fella in front of him....walking:p Good job Rick. I think you learned a lot from your first race.

To get an idea of how brutal this race is, there were more than a few that had similar looks on their faces:eekster:

Not one Turner at the race except mine and knob's. So here are a few from the climb up.

Thanks for listening. Its raining here now, so I am just bored.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Anyway one of our very own Bandoleros was racing, so we wanted to show our support.
I was not sure if you guys were going to make it. I tried calling you and Bruce before the race but I could not reach either of you. I had not I idea you guys made it. I heard some dudes yelling the closer I got to you and figured that was prob you guys.
<o></o>
Mtn. Biker123 said:
There was only one fella who was killing the SS class who stopped at our little trailside bar, but the arse did not even leave a tip. I didn't snap him, but not too far behind was Bandolero Rick:thumbsup: Any other time he would have cleaned the section, but he was spent.
<o></o>
Well not sure about the two far behind but I was trying bro. I did end up passing #2 and #3 from SS after I saw you two. I was spent to say the least. Tell you what is sure was awesome to see you two. Thanks for making it out to root me on. Man I sure needed that JD then boy, then I think I drank to much :lol: I felt that JD for the next mile or so I keep trying to chase that with water :lol: Kind of thought well maybe that was not the best idea, well until the buzz set in :lol: then I was a new man.
<o></o>
Mtn. Biker123 said:
There is no shame in his game. I think he passed the fella in front of him....walking:p Good job Rick. I think you learned a lot from your first race.
<o></o>
Yes I got that dude and a few more before the top. After seeing you guys I started pushing it harder, thanks. Passed 5 dudes down double eagle but the downhill was little more rough on the hardtail.

Yes learned a lot and really tired today from the race. Still think I got some in me for a foothills ride.

#4 ·
Dang, I laughed my butt off at that...but I'm feeling a bit of sheudenfreude (is that the right term knob?) I'm happy at their misery, but feel bad about feeling happy. The Germans have a word for everything. :p

#5 ·
Gloating

Rotmilky said:
Dang, I laughed my butt off at that...but I'm feeling a bit of sheudenfreude (is that the right term knob?) I'm happy at their misery, but feel bad about feeling happy. The Germans have a word for everything. :p
Schadenfreude is malicious glee. Like seeing some one bite it in the same place you've wrecked at one time or another, but "now" know not to do it "quite that way"

I don't know why you feel bad. They's dirt roadies.

#7 ·
Hold my beer!

ScottW said:
Just to give those guys proper credit it's 1700 vertical feet from the base to the top.

I think I would hurl if I tried a shot of JD while racing up that mountain!
Bandoleros are trained professionals and often carry the proper equipment.

Don't do this at home kids!

#9 ·
FWIW Damian is a 'dirty' that happens to race - and kick azz - on the road. But he's a dirty at heart - just happens to be immensely talented on all bikes!

Good to see you Bandelero's out at the races - if I'd have known you'd be there - I'd make DOUBLE sure to not have made it!

JK - good stuff.

#10 ·
I would assume that having a heart rate monitor would qualify?...and doing hill climb intervals at Elena Gallegos, right knob:p

Dirt Rodie: "So what gear ya running?"

SS'er: "32x18." "So...what is your cadence zone?"

Bandolero: "Did anyone bring beer?"....

The silence afterwards is deafening.

#11 ·
glenzx said:
FWIW Damian is a 'dirty' that happens to race - and kick azz - on the road. But he's a dirty at heart - just happens to be immensely talented on all bikes!

Good to see you Bandelero's out at the races - if I'd have known you'd be there - I'd make DOUBLE sure to not have made it!

JK - good stuff.
For the record, I respect all disciplines:thumbsup:

#12 · (Edited)
Looks like unless you were in the top 3 of you cat. you got lumped in will all the sport guys? :madman:

EDIT:

Sorry about guys, we will be divided for the final list that goes to NMORS so the points will be added properly.

I just called Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and they told me I came in 9th in 30-39 cat. Hell yes! I was shooting for top 10 and I made it!

#14 ·
glenzx said:
Where are the results posted?

Nice job BTW! Racing can get addictive...
THX glenzx :thumbsup:

They just send out a mass email to the racers if you gave them an email address. I had to call them to ask for my placing since I did not make top 3 in my cat.

I agree about being addictive I am even more hungry for my next race.

Not bad for a Bandelero with no training this season wouldn't you say :lol:???

#16 ·
makachut said:
how many girls beat you?
:lol: Girls? I think the only ones who spanked me were the pros when you are taking females Maka. None passed me but I did not pass any either :p

I think I got the King in 1:23 or 1:24 and that was a personal best so I was happy. They did not take times this year :madman::madmax: so I did not get my splits at the top or bottom but no one did this year makachut.

How come you did not show this year? It would have been between you and Aaron thats for sure. Bryan said Aaron was hauling ass so you would have had your work cut out for you to say the least.

I was doing the race for fun not for points and I have not trained all season for this so I am very happy with 9th :).

#19 ·
results

they told me I came in 9th in 30-39 cat. Hell yes! I was shooting for top 10 and I made it!

Good Job.

If you didn't give an email address do you not get a result? I thought that was a bit of a mess. For the second year in a row.

#20 ·
greg de taos said:
Good Job.

If you didn't give an email address do you not get a result? I thought that was a bit of a mess. For the second year in a row.
THX sorry I missed Sundays ride. I had to get some things done and was pretty tired anyway prob. better I took the day off.

No she was sending all the results to NMORS for them to verify things and make sure the proper people got the points. Think she said you did 5th in case you wanted to know. I had top 10 written down but think I left it at work.

#24 ·
supramk388 said:
:lol: Girls? I think the only ones who spanked me were the pros when you are taking females Maka. None passed me but I did not pass any either :p

I think I got the King in 1:23 or 1:24 and that was a personal best so I was happy. They did not take times this year :madman::madmax: so I did not get my splits at the top or bottom but no one did this year makachut.

How come you did not show this year? It would have been between you and Aaron thats for sure. Bryan said Aaron was hauling ass so you would have had your work cut out for you to say the least.

I was doing the race for fun not for points and I have not trained all season for this so I am very happy with 9th :).
One year of racing was enough to learn they are all girls,little girls,who need to be taught social grace.I have better rides to do than race with grape smugglers.Yeah,grape smugglers.they are smuggling grapes just look what they are packing in their lycra shorts.as for my scenery,I prefer taco smugglers. Kudos, for chugging spirits during the race your a badass and that's what i like=Taking it for what it is and adding some flavor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.