Thread: santa fe trails

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

santa fe trails

sorry i can't do a search, but i'm hotspotting on my phone and connection is slow as hell

going to be in santa fe on tuesday and would like to ride some good single track...got a 150mm travel knolly, so i'd prefer as little climbing as possible...plus i'm coming from houston, and my guess is there is still some pretty good elevation, so my climbing legs and lungs are pretty much nonexistent

thanks for the help

Stucco Bucket
    Take a winsor shuttle.
    150mm is a XC bike out here..

banned
    May 2014
    6" is perfect for Winsor. If I were you, I'd start out early in the morning and get the 5-6 miles of climbing out of the way. Take some time in the midday and have quick lunch. Santa Fe is quite lush right now. There are actually a few options going up, but bombing The Winsor down is a must! Have fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks guys.

I won't be able to get started till close to 10 and will only have 2 to 3 hours to ride. I'm in Angel fire right now and did a half mile climb and my lungs just can't do it...

I will be traveling with other people so I can be dropped off at the top and bike down

do you guys have directions to the trailhead up top? are there any other entrances, I can probably get myself to do a 2 mile climb since it won't take two hours to dh 5 miles...plus I'm coming back to AF so a dh option isn't absolutely necessary

or any other trail options?

banned
    May 2014
    If you have a driver you should be able to get in a couple runs.

There is a really good list of trails HERE. Winsor upper/lower is toward the bottom of the page.

OOps, those links and info are bit convoluted. If you start at the ski area at the top of Hyde Park/Ski Basin road you will find the start of Winsor DH. Make sure to look at the map and stay left, otherwise you will end up on REM, which is another really good option, but just a little harder to navigate, and a much longer shuttle.

mtbr member
    Yea, I would just have them drop you off at the nor-ski parking lot just below the ski area and get onto the Winsor there. Much easier to navigate that way you wouldn't end up going down Rio en Medio by accident. Enjoy

banned
    May 2014
    Is there a map/kiosk down there, SSweet? I would also add that the first part of Winsor from the ski area p-lot nor-ski p-lot is somewhat uneventful as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm only getting dropped off once then picked up a few hours later...is there enough trail without too much climbing?

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    I'm only getting dropped off once then picked up a few hours later...is there enough trail without too much climbing?
    The drop down Winsor to Tesuque will be ~45 mins if you got all the way to Tesuque. The REM shuttle would be about 1.5-2 hours with about 500' of climbing. If it is at all possible, I'd try to arrange that. It starts at the ski area p-lot and descends down to REM village, which you can easily find via a quick search. Navigating REM is a little difficult, but not impossible. Try to get with a local shop, or perhaps someone here knows of a good map.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    stick with the Windsor idea, lot easier to navigate and fits your schedule better. talk with Mike @ the Broken Spoke for better details.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    sounds like it's pretty much unanimous...thanks guys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    Is there a map/kiosk down there, SSweet?
    I don't think there is a map there Tre Bottelas, just think it is a better start point when doing a Winsor Bomb and like you said the part from REM juncture to the norski parking lot is somewhat uneventful. Heck Sinfony, you could have them pick you up at Little Tesuque creek and after going down the Winsor turn up Chamisa and then take Sidewinder back out to the Hyde Park rd and Little Tesuque creek if you wanted to get a little climbing in. Have a great ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    damn guys, thanks for the suggestion...one of my all time top three, great trail and awesome weather today...trail is a bit loose tho