mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Santa Fe Trail Conditions?

On my way to Arizona this weekend. Thought I might stop in New Mexico. What are the trail conditions like in Santa Fe? Is Albuquerque worth a stop?

mtbr member
    Everything is looking good out here. check this out: SF trail conditions twitter feed now live, what about your area?

White Mesa should be a blast this weekend and so would any of the foothill trails in ABQ. La Tierra is open in SFe. I wouldn't bet on Dale Ball though. Still real muddy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks! Is Santa Fe worthy of a 2 day stay? Also, I've never ridden outside of Nebraska or Iowa...anything to watch out for when I'm in Santa Fe? (e.g. like falling off of a cliff that I don't have time to react to)

mtbr member
    ...Jeezus, where to start! Well, I think SFe is worth some time. Between the museums, galleries, historic sites and excellent restaurants, it's got big city 'things to do', but in a small town. Depends what you're into. Need more info please!

As for riding...well, things are typically dry and loose here. Often times you'll go from baby heads to sand, to hardpack, to straight on rock, all in 50 yards. If you mess that up, there's a yucca, cactus, juniper, pinon, or cholla waiting for you

Really though, it's a great place to ride. Just make sure you have either stans, slime or something in your tires, or at least carry an extra tube or three. La Tierra will get you turned around pretty quickly, but just keep your eye on your shadow and you should figure out how to make it back (especially now that it's signed). Same with White Mesa. More technical with some modest climbs and great descents. Totally worth visiting, especially if you're from Neb.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks again. Definitely will stay there at least one night. I'm not as concerned with what's in the town as i am with good riding!

mtbr member
    No worries. Definitely hit up La Tierra until you're tired and come into town and grab a beer at 2nd Street at the Railyard or some enchiladas at La Choza. Should be good weather all around.

I <3 NM

Santa Fe Trail Conditions?

Lots of ABQ options too!

Plus world class La Cumbre Brewing Co.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Also, I've never ridden outside of Nebraska or Iowa.
    La Tierra and Dale Ball trails in Santa Fe are great, with easily 20-30 miles of nice singletrack, double if you ride them the other direction. If you've never ridden outside of Nebraska or Iowa, you really should do the White Mesa trails. You'll never see anything like it anywhere else, and the trails are fun, too! White Mesa Bike Trails - a set on Flickr It's only a 20 mile detour on your way to ABQ and AZ. Search for White Mesa for other threads with more pics and info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Today I rode La Tierra. It kicked my butt because I'm out of shape and the altitude adjustment was pretty rough on me. But I'm glad I did it! Couldn't find the Railroad, so I settled for Backroads Pizza...I really need to get a smart phone so I can use GPS! Also got lost trying to find my way back to the trailhead at La Tierra, but found my car after riding down the highway 2 or 3 miles. Tomorrow before hitting the road, I'm going to hit up at least one more trail, possibly two, depending on how my lungs feel. Thanks again for the info!
    Last edited by getagrip; 03-03-2013 at 07:53 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What is the condition of the La Tierra trails right now? How about the trail to Lamy? My wife wants to ride with me tomorrow. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    LT trails are pretty much dry and ridable any time. We try to keep the SFFT website up to date with conditions.

Galisteo Basin Preserve still has some mud so it needs to be ridden early. forecast.weather.gov and weather.com both have hourly forecast options. Plan on being done by the time the temp hits 35. That's 11am tomorrow. Not sure about the rail trail, probably the same as GBP.

mtbr member
    LT is good and mostly dry,but there are still areas covered in snow and muddy places that thaw around 11am.