mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Santa Fe rides for visitors July 11-14: suggestions?

Hello New Mexico!

A group of us will be in Santa Fe for a wedding from Thursday-Sunday (11-14), and we'd love to get some riding in. I had been doing trails research and found some good options, but now with all the fire closures I don't even know what's available and what's not. I'm hoping you all could help me out!

We're all solid riders, comfortable on intermediate-advanced terrain, and will be on trail bikes. We're mainly just looking for a fun ride, doesn't have to be super burl/tech. Probably in the 15-20 mile range.

I was looking at some of the shuttle options but those all look to be restricted now. Could anyone help me out on what's open and what isn't? Maybe a trail(s) you would suggest? We will have transportation and don't mind driving a bit if need be.

Any info is much appreciated in advance. Glad to see you all are getting some rain!

-Daniel
    Phoenix, AZ

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    OK here is a quick guide: Dale Ball north & central; La Tierra; Galisteo Preserve (20 mi. south); Nambe ( 20 mi. north; Los Alamos (35 mi. north); White Mesa (50 mi. s.); Albq. N foothills (65 mi. s.); Taos/Southbound.Tr.(shuttle required 60 mi+, all day) Hopes this helps, Have fun !! Adios

Hammer
    FYI The Santa Fe National Forest is closed due to extreme fire danger. This may change soon but at the moment.. These ride are open

White Mesa (50 mi. s.); Albq. N foothills (65 mi. s.); Taos/Southbound.Tr.(shuttle required 60 mi+, all day)
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dale Ball trails are open. I just rode them for the first time 2 days ago. I rode the "South" area. I'd heard this was the most technical area, but I found them kinda boring. STEEP, LOOSE ups and downs, with a rare tricky spot. Great aerobic training, not so great technical training.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thank you all, that will get us rolling somewhere!

Much appreciated,

-Daniel

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Santa Fe National Forest re-opens 8am Friday, July 12th. The riding options just got a LOT better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemezc View Post
    Santa Fe National Forest re-opens 8am Friday, July 12th. The riding options just got a LOT better!
    Ill need to ask for your source material. Im sure you understand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I got it directly from one of the FS staff members that I know. From his email to me: "Forest will open Friday @0800- the barricade on the ski basin road is gone now, but technically we are still closed."

I'd heard rumors it was opening so I emailed him for confirmation. I also saw a post on the Los Alamos Tuffriders email list that the Jemez district is opening 8am Friday.

Start planning your rides for this weekend.

mtbr member
    This weekend is booked... but next weekend is camping in the jemez. Fun times.. thanks for passing along the info

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I also just called the Santa Fe Forest Service. They confirmed the above. They said they'll be updating their website to reflect the news "within a couple hours."