You down with entropy?

Santa Fe 9/10 Taos 9/11 ride recomendations/questions

Hello all.

My wife and i are going to be on a road trip from michigan out to Arizona and back.
    On the way back we are going to be hitting Santa Fe and Taos. we are intermediate-advanced riders from Michigan and like the technical trails out here, we realize that everything will be bigger out there. I am on a motolite and my wife has a racer-x.

I have searched and came up with ideas but had questions.
    In Santa Fe I am looking at the dale Ball trails and then see how we are doing after that.

Taos is more up in the air at the moment. We would like to try south Boundary but are unsure about a shuttle out to the beginning. I have emailed native Son's and no response from them. Any other ideas? We will of course be stopping by one of the local shops to get directions and a map.
    Alternatively I was thinking about the trails at northside. Though I just saw mention of snow in another thread. Something I was not thinking about.

Any other thoughts/suggestions? for rides or what i should not be thinking of trying.

thanks
    erik

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ride SBT as a loop. Go up FR 70 from Valle Escondido to trail 1 (Elliot Barker) to 164 (South Boundary) to FR 437 back to your car. 25 miles of joy and no shuttle. Also Mondragon Loop amongst others. Northside is ok if you want to pay to ride on unfinished trails, but I reccommend the local goods that are free. Greg
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

crap magnet

Hey Greg

Check yer PMs.

To the OP, Dale Ball is a good lower elevation option but still starts at 7000+ ft. North and Central trails less technical/steep but still lots of fun. Outer loop do-able in 1.5 to 2hrs. South Dale Ball (South of Upper Canyon Road) more technical with much more climbing. Some parts are hike-a-bike for me. More nice riding up Hyde Park/Artist Road road-Chamisa, Winsor, Borrego, Bear Wallow, Big T etc.

Enjoy.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

You down with entropy?
    thanks for the info.

Greg, that sounds like a good loop, I will l gather info on that. I was also not aware that
    the northside stuff was not really done. I was figuring that if I was going to have to pay for a shuttle that it might equal out. I am liking the no shuttle option though.

cdaddy, depending on time and how we feel after the dale ball trails we might head over to the other trails and check them out. It is going to be a game time decision.

thanks again

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I was just in Santa Fe for a week from Arizona. The Dale Bell trails are ok, but I'd skip them in favor of the Chamisa trail to Windsor to The Big Temesque. If the legs are still ok I'd continue up the paved road for about 1/2 mile to the Alpine Vista trail, a dirt road that climbs to 12000ft. Get to Chamisa by driving up Hyde Park Rd about 7 miles or so. There is a dirt parking lot on the left. Chamisa climbs fairly hard at first. Windsor is more gradual. Both are excellent and fun. I did Dale Bell north and was bored. In Arizona, I'd spend as much time in Flagstaff as possible. Start at Schultz trail and climb. Many fun loops up there.