mtbr member

Sandia RD Workdays & National Trails Day June 1st - Please Register!

Just a reminder that we'll be holding a National Trails Day event on June 1st at the Oak Flat Picnic area. This event is sponsored by REI and several other organizations where we'll be trying to complete the entire construction of a new trail in one day. The only way to make it happen is to show up and help.

Unlike our other trail work days, this one requires registration. Go here for registration details, it's free.

Also, here's a quick list of the remainder of work days for 2013:

May 11 - Birdhouse Ridge trail work - doing some minor repairs to our new trail to make it even better. Meet at Tunnel Canyon Trailhead 9am - 2pm

June 1 - National Trails Day (see above)

July 13 & 14 - David Canyon Connector Trail Construction - Meet at Mars Court Trailhead 9am - 2pm both days

Aug 17 & 18 - David Canyon Connector Trail Construction - Meet at Mars Court Trailhead 9am - 2pm both days

Sept 28 (National Public Lands Day) - David Canyon Connector Trail Construction - Meet at Mars Court Trailhead 9am - 2pm both days

Oct 19 & 20 - David Canyon Connector Trail Construction - Meet at Mars Court Trailhead 9am - 2pm both days

Please come dressed in pants and shoes/boots. Come out and support our work on the Sandia RD!

Friends of Sandia Ranger District Trails - Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Please consider spending at least one day this year improving our local trail system. National Trails Day should be that day. With a good turn-out, we can knock out a section of new trail in one day and expand our riding options. And I guarantee every time you ride the trail you'll remember the section you created.

Stucco Bucket
    Whats the David Canyon route look like? Connecting to what?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Reminder: Help expand our trail system this Saturday, June 1, National Trails Day. Meet at Oak Flats at 0900. Remember, you need to register at REI for this event.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    Whats the David Canyon route look like? Connecting to what?
    It'll connect with the Deadman Trail on the east side of NM-337

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    Just a reminder that we'll be holding a National Trails Day event on June 1st at the Oak Flat Picnic area. This event is sponsored by REI and several other organizations where we'll be trying to complete the entire construction of a new trail in one day. The only way to make it happen is to show up and help.

Unlike our other trail work days, this one requires registration. Go here for registration details, it's free.
    So is this event closed? Or am I just having computer difficulties?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Airborne Flight Crew
    Got it too..

"One or more of the classes you selected is no longer available and has been removed from your cart."
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    I assume its closed since there are only a few days left. I'll see about getting it reopened but either way, if you'd like to come out plan on it.

Thanks for the notification.

mtbr member
    I plan to be there, and will check back to see if the registration re-opens.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I plan to be there, and will check back to see if the registration re-opens.
    Just got a note from REI on the event and it shows 7 remaining slots but it isn't taking additional registrations. But as Skerry said, he won't turn anyone away trying to poach the event...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What else do we need to bring besides ourself in the correct clothing? (Lunch, snacks, water, etc.)

mtbr member
    Water and snacks will work. We'll have extra water and Gatorade. We should also have breakfast burritos and will be having a cookout afterwards.

mtbr member
    Looks like I will not be making it to this, hopefully next time.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Had a great workday and completed the new trail. Thanks to FooMtb for donating food, collecting donations and getting logistics together. Also a big thanks to all who donated schwag - Fat Tire, Bikeworks, The Kickstand, Hawks Tri Cycle, Sandia Cycles and High Desert. And last but not least the delicious breakfast burritos from the Greenside Cafe.

banned
    May 2013
    Had a great workday and completed the new trail. Thanks to FooMtb for donating food, collecting donations and getting logistics together. Also a big thanks to all who donated schwag - Fat Tire, Bikeworks, The Kickstand, Hawks Tri Cycle, Sandia Cycles and High Desert. And last but not least the delicious breakfast burritos from the Greenside Cafe.
    Congrats. I'm glad it was a success. I heard there were quite a few more peeps than expected.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It'll connect with the Deadman Trail on the east side of NM-337
    Already named: "Holy Grail Trail" since 1) it connects the south end of the S14 system with a legal trail and 2) if we can build it this summer with the closures it will be like finding the Holy Grail. I gave Skerry the hard-sell on "Black Cat Bone" (PETA might sue) or "Six Bones Over Deadman" (too close to Six Flags Over Texas, potential copyright infringement, libel, TX has more guns and lawyers than NM, etc) but failed. I have real problems with names...