Hey, wait up!

Sandia Peak Challenge - This Weekend

Saturday!

Come Kill the Hill!

Because nothing says "I'm having fun" like the pain of oxygen debt.

Sandia Peak Challenge.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

banned
    We just rode the N. Faulty trail and if the conditions are anything like they were today, it'll be a terrific race. Look for the Bando's to be trail side for refreshments.

mtbr member
    Yor right if the trail is in the same conditon it wil be great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyone know if they hired a timing company this year? I have never seen a race such a mess as last year. I have written to the CF people over and over to offer to help but it seems as though they think they have it.
    I don't want to piss anyone off but I don't get where people get off charging 30-50 bucks for a "race" when they can't get the scoring or timing right. Without scoring and timing it is just a "ride" and I can do that for free any time I want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    I have never seen a race such a mess as last year.
    You're certainly not the only one that was disgusted last year. Last year was the first Challenge for me, but as far as I know, it was also the first time that times weren't recorded.

It wasn't a question of people-power. There were several of them standing around at the finish line just chatting away. They couldn't scrounge up a pencil and tablet somewhere?

These are good people, so I hate to give 'em a hard time, especially when I'm assuming they'll get their act together this year. Nevertheless, and the same goes for all the organizers as far as I'm concerned. That is, if they can't assure the nmors that a certain minimum standard will be adhered to as far as reporting results, then it shouldn't be an nmors race. Hell, I'm not even sure that everyone that was on the podium last year even rode the race.

If this race wasn't in my backyard, there's no way I'd have entered again without them demonstrating that last year's debacle wasn't going to be the norm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, I think we will skip it. Darn.

mtbr member
    I found this on the site that is linked above.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: ALL CROSS COUNTRY RACES PROFESSIONALLY TIMED BY DAVE HALLIBURTON.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Biklophile
    I found this on the site that is linked above.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: ALL CROSS COUNTRY RACES PROFESSIONALLY TIMED BY DAVE HALLIBURTON.
    Hey, thanks for pointing that out.

Why didn't you speak up, Dave?

Dog got your tongue?

banned
    Well, there you go! No excuses!

Now get out and race!

mtbr member
    Bry are you going to race?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Well, there you go! No excuses!

Now get out and race!
    Excuse me?

Try not to get so drunk that you're blocking the trail.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    Excuse me?

Try not to get so drunk that you're blocking the trail.
    OK??? Maybe I should use more smilies !

Yeah Paul, I think RCC and I are going to go.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    Hey, thanks for pointing that out.

Why didn't you speak up, Dave?

Dog got your tongue?
    Yep. I'm gonna be there taking numbers and getting names.

Don't sass me

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    OK??? Maybe I should use more smilies !

Yeah Paul, I think RCC and I are going to go.
    What a relief!

Dave to oversee the results, and adult supervision (aka Ramon) for B.

mtbr member
    So... How was the race yesterday?
    there can be only one... track

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    So... How was the race yesterday?
    It was freakin' hot!

Hats off to the pro/experts that managed 2 laps on that course on that day. I don't think anybody that was relying on bottles had enough. I know I downed another 3 litres of recovery drink within an hour afterwards, and I had all I wanted in the c/b.

Damian told me he recorded 48-something on his first trip up, which, I guess, would be a new record for the climb. But, as far as I know, none of the volunteers at the top were noting times.

Dave "your time in real time" Halliburton dominated the results tabulation single-handedly. Well, almost single-handedly. He had me to bug him for a bit while he was trying to concentrate. The man exudes patience and is a monument to making more out of less.

I got off to a great start when I apparently worked some small stones into my cleats at the start line and couldn't get clipped in for about 2 minutes. That means a steep 1/4 mi of climbing while pedalling as fast as I could, then coasting to try to get clipped, then sprinting, then coasting ... . Uphill intervals at the start were not part of the game plan! Still, I managed 4 1/2 minutes faster than last year. Up was 3 min faster and down was 1 1/2 min faster, and I was solid through the upper miles, which is always a good feeling. Well, not exactly a good feeling. It's still over 10K. Anyways, my apologies to whoever might've been right behind me up the first hill. I know it must've been a pain in the butt.

But generally speaking it was a very efficient start. Way better than last year, which was a real cluster on the first hill. Maybe I was just further forward in the pack at the start of the hill.

And whacking the sides of the trail always makes a huge difference. It not only facilitates passing early on, but before they get around to it, the riding is treacherous since the grass gets so tall it falls over across the trail.

A great day on the mountain!

Hey, wait up!
    A good day (even if I wasn't on my bike).

Results - with some help along the way from "Garson."

PS. The New Mexico Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has, I think, shown a real commitment to presenting this as an organized, nicely supported, good quality event. They took the lessons from prior years seriously, and worked sincerely to make improvements. They are a pleasure to know, help and work with. Bike racin' ain't easy - and neither is bike race promotin'
    Last edited by LCdaveH; 07-12-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    with some help along the way from "Garson."
    I know dang well you misplaced those quotes, Dave. They clearly should be on the "help".

And they sure did step up the game this year. From the no-additional-charge online registration, to the perfeshunle results.

We surely do forget that even when organizers do occassionaly drop the ball, they've still put a lot of effort into the event. So, while most people are quick to congratulate the jobs well done, and recognize the promoters that are able to bounce back after an off year, we could all do a better job of giving promoters that struggle through an event the benefit of the doubt - at least for one more year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    "we could all do a better job of giving promoters that struggle through an event the benefit of the doubt - at least for one more year."

You are right but I think we should be giving promoters a chance to get themselves together as non points events, I think it really hurts the credibility of the state series when events like last year happen. If you can make it as a small non sanctioned race, you can move up to the "big" time.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    "we could all do a better job of giving promoters that struggle through an event the benefit of the doubt - at least for one more year."

You are right but I think we should be giving promoters a chance to get themselves together as non points events, I think it really hurts the credibility of the state series when events like last year happen. If you can make it as a small non sanctioned race, you can move up to the "big" time.
    There are a few would be promoters who have pitched to do a series event. I do tell them to work through a trial year for their race and see how it goes.

For rookie promoters, no matter how difficult they think it's going to be, it will be even more difficult.

SPC has strong resources, good intentions and knowledgeable help. It just takes a little extra focus to snap things into place on race day.

For the record, the CFF did not come knocking on the Series' door. When the Watermelon Classic dropped from the series, Albuquerque racers solicited the CFF to add an XC MTB race to their well established and independently successful Sandia Peak Challenge event line up. This was from the racers' desire to have a series race event on that nice and distinctive venue.

As with most things, it has been a process of do, learn, adapt, move forward.

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    For rookie promoters, no matter how difficult they think it's going to be, it will be even more difficult.
    True that! I didn't sleep for 3 days before the Punishment last year because the to-do list was growing faster and faster and time was only getting shorter...and I expected it to be difficult. Even this year (my sophomore year as a promoter) I dropped the ball on things I got right last year. Hats off to anyone who takes on the challenge of organizing a race.
    there can be only one... track