mtbr member

Sandia FHN Bighorn Ridge Spur

Greetings All. Anyone know why someone is filling the erosion cut halfway up the spur to trail 365 from Bighorn Ridge with trash? I ride up to the cut, empty the trash and continue on. Next day, same thing. Not sure what's going on here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Is it on the private property section in the arroyo or on FS property? A similar thing has been going on on one of the spur trails at the bottom of Simms Park Rd that parallels the road. Also noticed rocks being placed around blind corners there. I heard there was a problem bear in that neighborhood that gets into trash. Any chance it could be a bear?
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

mtbr member
    On the FS part about half way up, there is a strip about 30 yards long that got beat up pretty badly from the rain a few yeas ago. Trail users have been circumnavigating and effectively created a parallel trail. Someone (not a bear) has been throwing in cactus and rocks and juniper branches, possibly in response to tire tracks. Maybe the same person whose been kicking down the diversion berms, etc.
    Not sure what their motivation is; accelerate erosion? In any case, they are determined and it's getting a bit irritating. It's a rogue trail accessed through private property (with permission of the land owner), but it's also the only way up between Elena Gallegos and the Tram. I'd really like not to lose it. A whole bunch of people use it and it would be nice if we could keep it from washing away.